Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X4 Camera won't turn

SWH

Reaction score
My x4s camera will pitch up and down and turn left and right when it is in landing mode on the ground. When I start flying I can pitch the camera up and down but it won't turn left and right. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Had the same issue early on when I was figuring things out. My gimbal was in follow mode as @NickU pointed out.

Is this just for the X4S? I don't know why my I2 is different but I can pitch and yaw in free or follow with the landing gear up or down on my X5S. Many people said it is not possible but mine does.

Same for both cameras.

If yours turns, then you'll find you've activated free mode. Follow mode is preset in firmware to return the camera to face forwards in flight and to only operate the pitch. If you like, follow mode sets the camera so it behaves a bit more like the gimbals on the Phantom/mavic series. Free mode is exactly that, it can operate freely.

One quirk, which I can't verify as I've only a single rc, is that the camera is effectively always in free mode when operating with a second slaved RC for camera control.

Same for both cameras.

If yours turns, then you'll find you've activated free mode. Follow mode is preset in firmware to return the camera to face forwards in flight and to only operate the pitch. If you like, follow mode sets the camera so it behaves a bit more like the gimbals on the Phantom/mavic series. Free mode is exactly that, it can operate freely.

One quirk, which I can't verify as I've only a single rc, is that the camera is effectively always in free mode when operating with a second slaved RC for camera control.

When I open the app and get flying I am in follow mode. I tap on free mode and the app clearly shows it is in free mode and responds as it would in free mode. In both modes I press and hold the C1 button and I can yaw the camera /gimbal with the left gimbal wheel.

Power up and lift off, don't touch the gimbal mode setting, touch and hold your finger on screen, wait until the blue circle appears and then drag your finger gently around the screen, up down and left right. Does the gimbal follow your finger movement side to side, or just up down?

Reactions: SanCap
Power up and lift off, don't touch the gimbal mode setting, touch and hold your finger on screen, wait until the blue circle appears and then drag your finger gently around the screen, up down and left right. Does the gimbal follow your finger movement side to side, or just up down?

I never tried that I always yaw by pressing and holding the C1 button and then move the gimbal wheel one way or the other. It works all the time and much easier to control than a finger on the screen. I will try flying it tomorrow and do as you said but I see no reason to control the camera on the screen.

It's a suggestion to see if it still works or if it restricts you. If it won't do it, then there may be something bizarre happening with your RC that's allowing you to yaw the camera in any mode. If it'll still do it, then, Hey, if it works, it works :) No problems.

But... your I2 won't be behaving like the others out there! So, chances are there's some other explanation for its behaviour... just got to work out what ;) :)

It's a suggestion to see if it still works or if it restricts you. If it won't do it, then there may be something bizarre happening with your RC that's allowing you to yaw the camera in any mode. If it'll still do it, then, Hey, if it works, it works :) No problems.

But... your I2 won't be behaving like the others out there! So, chances are there's some other explanation for its behaviour... just got to work out what ;) :)

Have you tried to yaw by pressing and holding the C1 button and moving the gimbal wheel? If that works why would you need to touch the screen?

Yup... with my I2 it works in any mode when landed and props shutdown. When in the air, the camera is locked to aircraft forward view + tilt in follow mode, and will yaw & tilt in free mode. As soon as I switch from free to follow mode, the camera is reset to point forward, but the tilt amount isn't altered/reset.

As to why would I want to use a finger on screen... because then I can control camera yaw and tilt simultaneously in the same way as if using a 2nd remote... i.e. The camera can be moved diagonally or in a curved path instead of being limited to just one axis at a time when using the RC wheel and C buttons. As an example of where it could be used... in smoothly and accurately following a vehicle along a track which turns and climbs eg in an s shape. You can also speed up or slow down the rate of change by dragging your finger further or closer to the blue circle. Try it, it can be fun ;) (although more difficult if you're using a screen hood :( )

Yup... with my I2 it works in any mode when landed and props shutdown. When in the air, the camera is locked to aircraft forward view + tilt in follow mode, and will yaw & tilt in free mode. As soon as I switch from free to follow mode, the camera is reset to point forward, but the tilt amount isn't altered/reset.

As to why would I want to use a finger on screen... because then I can control camera yaw and tilt simultaneously in the same way as if using a 2nd remote... i.e. The camera can be moved diagonally instead of being limited to just one axis at a time when using the RC wheel and C buttons. As an example of where it could be used... in smoothly and accurately following a vehicle along a track which turns and climbs eg in an s shape. You can also speed up or slow down the rate of change by dragging your finger further or closer to the blue circle. Try it, it can be fun ;)

That makes sense for use with the finger control. I wonder if my yaw control works in both modes (in flight) because I have the C1 button set to return the gimbal to forward position by a quick click?

Might be, I'll try it on mine and see what happens... won't be for a day or so tho as we've a storm moving thru' tomorrow so grounded with wind and snow or rain.

Are you sure that's what you've got set tho'? Might it be set to toggle between Follow & free mode?

Might be, I'll try it on mine and see what happens... won't be for a day or so tho as we've a storm moving thru' tomorrow so grounded with wind and snow or rain.

Are you sure that's what you've got set tho'? Might it be set to toggle between Follow & free mode?

I have C1 set for "Gimbal Yaw Reset", C2 "Advanced Camera Settings"

Tried this out this afternoon with gimbal yaw reset, but it didn't change anything - my gimbal will only yaw when the gimbal is set to free mode.

I guess you do have a special I2 there Sancap, so look after it :D

I flew again today and retested mine and it yawed in both modes. I think I will keep it!

Will be interested to hear if it stays working that way once you do any firmware updates. 'Course, DJI might fix it for everyone :D

I am on all the latest and greatest firmwares, I do have a "Recalibrate Vision Positioning" warning but can not connect to the assistant 2 program on my mac.

I meant any future firmware updates.

As to connecting to Assistant 2, I've no problems (so far). You've flicked the switch next to the usb port on the I2 to the right mode (down) haven't you...? But you should start another topic for that before we head too far off-topic from the X4S yaw ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst