Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5 and noise

Reaction score
Curious how far folks are pushing their X5's ISO. 400 or less for me, which is pretty disappointing (yes it is a M43 camera)- and I have an Oly OMD-1 which can handle higher ISO. I've been playing with settings and finding AE lock works well as the auto-metering seems subpar. However, I shoot full frame on the ground so I'm probably overly sensitive, and am not trying to trash the X5.
I've been using the Oly 12mm f/2 & Leica/Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 mainly (have the 25 & 45 as well, but have not used them enough to get good data). Also curious if the X5R is handling the noise pre-post better (same M43 sensor size). I understand having RAW video will help the noise issues in post, but just curious. I may grab an X5R if my assumptions are correct.
Anyways, other folk's tips are always useful.

Edit- this may be in the wrong subforum. Apologies if this is the case.

Yep, it can be denoised in post and the shots will come out mostly clean. Most noise on d-log, which is part of the reason I never shoot with it. On 'none' there is hardly any noise in the shadows.

May I ask what LUT(s) you use to denoise? I've been using Cineline for the X5 profile and then using Falcon LUTs with limited success...

Reactions: llpilot
May I ask what LUT(s) you use to denoise? I've been using Cineline for the X5 profile and then using Falcon LUTs with limited success...
A LUT isnt really used to denoise a shot... Rather to slap on a quick style for the shot. We individually grade each shot and run it through neat video if it's quite noisy.
I don't really like any of the preset LUTs I've seen.

Reactions: Adrian Lane
Thanks for the tips- constant crushed blacks are a problem as well... Next run I will try and skip the LUTs and use other methods. This is really my first foray into video as I've always done stills on the ground. Its a different animal and my confidence with stills does not translate as well as I thought it would to video.
Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadpoetryweb