Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R motors dead after firmware update

Boa

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I've updated my Inspire 1 with X5R yesterday.
It's an early Inspire 1 that is converted to carry the X5R.

I went to the dji download page, selected Inspire 1 and downloaded the latest firmware.
Tried to install it with the X5R mounted.
That didn't work. Then I checked back the downloads page and saw that X3 was mentioned with the firmware.

So I mounted my X3 to the Inspire and the firmware was installing.

When the install was complete I've downloaded the firmware of the X5R from it's download page and installed it too.

When I power on the Inspire, I see the camera feed in the app but the motors of the X5R gimbal aren't working at all...

What have I done wrong and how can I solve it?

Kind regards,
Sander Gheldof

When you say firmware of x5r are you referring to the gimbal firmware or the inspire 1 pro firmware? You need do the latter if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the Gimbal X5R firmware.
There is no Inspire 1 pro download page.

Schermafbeelding_2017_01_19_om_09_02_38.png

I have the inspire 1 fitted with an X5. I just did the inspire 1 pro update and it's all updated properly.
d556a4379c2d66871742a55c458ffc1d.jpg

I don't think you're meant to update it separately as of a few updates ago. I'm not 100% about this but I'm just following something I read on this forum.

When I try to install the Inspire 1 Pro firmware (from the X5 download page), the update doesn't start.

Dear friends,

I've updated my Inspire 1 with X5R yesterday.
It's an early Inspire 1 that is converted to carry the X5R.

I went to the dji download page, selected Inspire 1 and downloaded the latest firmware.
Tried to install it with the X5R mounted.
That didn't work. Then I checked back the downloads page and saw that X3 was mentioned with the firmware.

So I mounted my X3 to the Inspire and the firmware was installing.

When the install was complete I've downloaded the firmware of the X5R from it's download page and installed it too.

When I power on the Inspire, I see the camera feed in the app but the motors of the X5R gimbal aren't working at all...

What have I done wrong and how can I solve it?

Kind regards,
Sander Gheldof

For future reference the correct sequence is to update with the X3 first and then update again with the X5R - which you figured out by the sound of it.

It's difficult to know where the problem lies without more information so I would try and isolate the source by checking the following:

- Was the RAW firmware update successful? What version is showing under 'about'? If it's not the latest version then make sure the new firmware is put onto a freshly formatted SD card so there's no risk of an old version causing update problems.

- When you say the motors aren't working, is it that they don't respond to your controls or that there is no movement during power-up?

- Was the X5R working okay on the previous firmware or Is this the first time you've attached the X5R ? If so then it could be a problem with the gimbal. If not and everything else looks correct I would downgrade your firmware to the previous version and then go through the update procedure again.

I'm sure you know this but remember NOT to have your RC switched on when updating the aircraft firmware.

Good luck, hopefully something simple.

It's difficult to know where the problem lies without more information so I would try and isolate the source by checking the following:

- Was the RAW firmware update successful? What version is showing under 'about'? If it's not the latest version then make sure the new firmware is put onto a freshly formatted SD card so there's no risk of an old version causing update problems.
Yes, every update was successful as I've checked on the SD card.

- When you say the motors aren't working, is it that they don't respond to your controls or that there is no movement during power-up?
No movement at all, even not during power up. I could move the gimbal with my fingers without resistance.

- Was the X5R working okay on the previous firmware or Is this the first time you've attached the X5R ? If so then it could be a problem with the gimbal. If not and everything else looks correct I would downgrade your firmware to the previous version and then go through the update procedure again.
Yes, X5R was previously working correct.

I'm sure you know this but remember NOT to have your RC switched on when updating the aircraft firmware.
Indeed.

Good luck, hopefully something simple.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.
I've solved the problem a few minutes ago.

There was indeed a problem with the update of the X5R.

I've solved it by starting to try all the updates again.

Starting with X3: No upgrade
Afterwards X5R: 10 seconds no beeping.
Then a few seconds: daa - daa - daa - daa
Afterwords a minute: da-da-da-da
Then the gimbal was initializing again and I heard the daa - da-da beeping of the completed update.
When I checked the log file afterwards, there were 2 updates successful, other updates were already done.

A very strange problem, witch I think nobody already had it.
But it's solved, me happy!

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.
I've solved the problem a few minutes ago.

There was indeed a problem with the update of the X5R.

I've solved it by starting to try all the updates again.

Starting with X3: No upgrade
Afterwards X5R: 10 seconds no beeping.
Then a few seconds: daa - daa - daa - daa
Afterwords a minute: da-da-da-da
Then the gimbal was initializing again and I heard the daa - da-da beeping of the completed update.
When I checked the log file afterwards, there were 2 updates successful, other updates were already done.

A very strange problem, witch I think nobody already had it.
But it's solved, me happy!

Glad to hear you've sorted it - usually a firmware issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers