Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S h265 footage to Davinci Resolve 12.5.4?

Reaction score
Hey Pilots,

I think some of you have seen this topic, but I have a bit more want to confirm with you. I know Davinci Resolve (free version) is not supporting h265 import as source footage, however I see some guys say that the paid version support it. I can't find any details about the suport of h265 from official page, can anyone comment?

Thank you!

Hey Pilots,

I think some of you have seen this topic, but I have a bit more want to confirm with you. I know Davinci Resolve (free version) is not supporting h265 import as source footage, however I see some guys say that the paid version support it. I can't find any details about the suport of h265 from official page, can anyone comment?

Thank you!

Hi,

I'm planing on using the free version of Davinci with the just the X5. Does Davinci (free version) support the X5?

i have the mac version of 12.5 (bought via the app store for $500, not the $999 on bm website). i am using a 2016 15 inch mbp with touch bar (with the max processor and gpu) and davinici resolve will open the h265 file and you can color it. but it is really slow and bogs down. even when trying to do optimized media...i would not recommend it. either stick with h264 or prores/raw.

i have the mac version of 12.5 (bought via the app store for $500, not the $999 on bm website). i am using a 2016 15 inch mbp with touch bar (with the max processor and gpu) and davinici resolve will open the h265 file and you can color it. but it is really slow and bogs down. even when trying to do optimized media...i would not recommend it. either stick with h264 or prores/raw.

We have also heard Mac users having problems with the h.265 codec. I think you can download something that makes it better until it gets native support from Apple.

Michael
www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

can someone upload a short H265 clips straight from X5S so I can test mine here?

I tried using H.265 and a converter from (can't remember but I can look it up), and it was a disaster. I have the latest MBP 15 inch with 16 gigs of ram. I also have a 5K iMac with 32 gigs of ram and the H.265 codec chocked my MBP and slowed down my iMac. A good friend of mine that produces videos was saying that they are staying with H.264 for a while until the H.265 codec becomes a bit better to manage.

downloaded two H265 clips from a dropbox link provided in youtube channel. Can confirm the free version of Davinci Resolve CANNOT recognize the H265 footage from X5S

Might need to try DVR V14 - they've just announced it at NAB 7 there's a beta available.

The basic problem with H.265 at the minute is that 99% of kit out there has to do the decoding via non-optimised software/CPU rather than through the highly optimised hardware/GPU of the graphics card. Transcoding/converting with software is possible, but it's still not the fast optimised real-time decompression that future graphics cards will offer.

For once, DJI are ahead of (most) of the game with it and we'll all have to wait until graphics cards with H.265 support become more widely available and common. Maybe in a couple of years we'll all look back at the discussions and think... "Ha! Those were the old n slow days" ;) Then again, maybe it won't catch on o_O:p:D

Reactions: deltalimatango
I have been using DaVinci 12.5 successfully for quiote awhile . Today I downloaded V14 and have been unsuccessful trying to open this new Beta version of DaVinci. Back to 12.5!!

I am new to videography so forgive me if this a dumb question ...

What advantage do you get with
x5s > H265 > convert to DNxHD or ProRes encoded MOV
compared to
x5s > H264 >
apart from an approximate 50% saving in storage space ?

Is there more detail and resolution retained using H265 over H264?

That simplifies it,
H264 is easier to use with software editing. No differences in quality between the two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc