Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

180w Charger Question

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've just been told the 180w charger hurts these Inspire batteries. I personally don't believe this is true. The batteries are rated to accept 180w while charging. Lynh Phan stated you won't get 200 cycles if you use 180w charger. I don't believe him what so ever. If you abuse the battery, then yes it's obvious it won't last long. What do you all think and who else is using the 180w charger.

Attachments

• 20160903_041439.png
    20160903_041439.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 23
It's only a power supply not a charger! All the charging/limiting circuitry is in the battery...so called smart.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified
Yes a power supply lol. I just don't believe this power supply is damaging the battery as it charges. It's more of the user and how he/she flies. Also if they're constantly draining it to low %...that would hurt the batteries.

Reactions: IrishSights
While using the 180w charger? To me it makes no sense. The inspire batteries are rated 180w max charging before DJI even released the 180w charger. So many people follow what Lynh Phan suggests. I'm a bit concerned by that.
He knocks it because he has a vested interest in folks buying his Smartpower charger product , or whatever it's called.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

He knocks it because he has a vested interest in folks buying his Smartpower charger product , or whatever it's called.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified
He lost all creditability after he suggested it was a good idea to lube the inspire bearings. Someone on Facebook named RV Hector had to replace all 4 motor bearings. Costly repair... His client said he was lubing the bearings. A tip suggested by lynh Phan. I don't want to be negative and bash the guy. But he comes off like he knows everything when he doesn't. Only tip I took from him was to grease the transformation screw. That's it... Lubing the motor bearings? You're asking for trouble. So when he tried to throw words at me like... Oh he did independent tests on the batteries and 180w charging... I'm like ya okay buddy. I'll report back when I get 200 cycles while using the 180 power supply I bought from DJI

Reactions: RDTech
Mine always works good I wouldn't recommend it with those cheap parallel charging boards I did that once it starting melting the plastic where the standard 100W didn't .

Oh good old LP, not met or spoken to the guy however I got band from all his FB groups for questioning the performance and features of a few of his products , well I guess it that but so I'm safe saying that as can't get anymore banded lol.

On the battery

The pack will draw as much current as you can give it to a point but it's when is critical , 9A is the limit at the constant current stage of the cycle it will draw as anything above that and it will throw an over current error, as the charge state progresses it's gets very critical on the amount of current being drawn and this is directly related to the charge voltage in the constant voltage stage at the end, if the charge voltage is above 26.20v exactly it draws to much current at the end and gives a overcharge error.

The DJI adapter is rated at 26.3v BUT it actually is between 26.1 and 26.2, the cheap CN black inspire charger that's around is rated at 26.3 but I have measured it going up to 26.6 and almost everyone who bought one had over charge errors with it, I have come up with a mod to reduce the charge voltage to the range above and t works fine but it's very low rates at 2.6A per pack.

Anyhow back onto the 180w as i have digressed, basically the pack will take upto 9A in the bulk section of the charge if you let it but I would not for one minute do that, I have charged upto 200w with out issue and my own home made charger is 150w per pack and Iv not seen anything to suggest a rapid loss in capacity compared to charging at 100w.

But that's not to say some packs could loose capacity quicker charging at 180 compared to 100w but this could also just be FW being over cautious, the general rule is the lower the charge current the better it is on the pack, all of the TB packs loose some capacity quickly compared to new, in fact my brand new TB48 and 47 lost a little after 2 cycles on the 100w DJI Adapter, the Inspires battery FW is knows to be very aggressive on reducing remaining capacity sadly.

Basically don't worry about it and I class the life of the packs regardless of charging at around 200 cycles regardless anyhow.

Hope that little rant makes sense.

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
Oh good old LP, not met or spoken to the guy however I got band from all his FB groups for questioning the performance and features of a few of his products , well I guess it that but so I'm safe saying that as can't get anymore banded lol.

On the battery

The pack will draw as much current as you can give it to a point but it's when is critical , 9A is the limit at the constant current stage of the cycle it will draw as anything above that and it will throw an over current error, as the charge state progresses it's gets very critical on the amount of current being drawn and this is directly related to the charge voltage in the constant voltage stage at the end, if the charge voltage is above 26.20v exactly it draws to much current at the end and gives a overcharge error.

The DJI adapter is rated at 26.3v BUT it actually is between 26.1 and 26.2, the cheap CN black inspire charger that's around is rated at 26.3 but I have measured it going up to 26.6 and almost everyone who bought one had over charge errors with it, I have come up with a mod to reduce the charge voltage to the range above and t works fine but it's very low rates at 2.6A per pack.

Anyhow back onto the 180w as i have digressed, basically the pack will take upto 9A in the bulk section of the charge if you let it but I would not for one minute do that, I have charged upto 200w with out issue and my own home made charger is 150w per pack and Iv not seen anything to suggest a rapid loss in capacity compared to charging at 100w.

But that's not to say some packs could loose capacity quicker charging at 180 compared to 100w but this could also just be FW being over cautious, the general rule is the lower the charge current the better it is on the pack, all of the TB packs loose some capacity quickly compared to new, in fact my brand new TB48 and 47 lost a little after 2 cycles on the 100w DJI Adapter, the Inspires battery FW is knows to be very aggressive on reducing remaining capacity sadly.

Basically don't worry about it and I class the life of the packs regardless of charging at around 200 cycles regardless anyhow.

Hope that little rant makes sense.
Very knowledgeable. At least you explained in detail, where as Lynh Phan didn't and made it seem like I'm an idiot and he's right. Because he did testing to prove it. So I guess because I didn't do testing... I'm dumb? Lol. The only advice I took from him which I should known because it's obvious... Is to grease the worm screw. That is it. I do that every so often. Clean it up... Grease it. After 200 flights... No issues. Transform fine.

After I found out someone followed his 'personal advice' to oil the motor bearings... Then that person literally destroyed his bearings soon after and had to pay $200 for repair.... I'm like people shouldn't be listening to this Lynh Phan dude. How he acted towards me... I have no respect for the dude and could careless about his advice and 'tests'. :)

The oil the motor bearings was about the worst thing I have seen posted period, adding oil to a pre greased bearing can only end badly, oil in = great out then oil dries and seize.

In Fact doing it with out washing them out first is ever worse.

I used small bearings in reels for years and the only time you want to use thin oil is in free flowing applications like multiplier or bait caster reels or something where friction is your enemy, I have some rocket fuel for bearings that make them free spin like crazy but it has to be does pretty much very use.

In this application there is 10 times more cogging force from the mags than the grease in the bearing will ever produce.

Oiling will only add problems not solve them.

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
The oil the motor bearings was about the worst thing I have seen posted period, adding oil to a pre greased bearing can only end badly, oil in = great out then oil dries and seize.

In Fact doing it with out washing them out first is ever worse.

I used small bearings in reels for years and the only time you want to use thin oil is in free flowing applications like multiplier or bait caster reels or something where friction is your enemy, I have some rocket fuel for bearings that make them free spin like crazy but it has to be does pretty much very use.

In this application there is 10 times more cogging force from the mags than the grease in the bearing will ever produce.

Oiling will only add problems not solve them.
Do you grease your worm screw? I know some people don't... I just didn't want to risk the lube DJI applied to go dry and damage the worm screw. I've seen photos of what happens when the lube dries lol. Not a pretty sight.

I would not buy a 180W charger for the Inspire 1 batteries. I don't know who is Lynh Phan, but battery charging in 0.5C - 1C max, prolongs battery life, is not a secret. For a TB48 (5800 mAh), 1C equals 5,8 Amps.

"The advised charge rate of an Energy Cell is between 0.5C and 1C; the complete charge time is about 2–3 hours. Manufacturers of these cells recommend charging at 0.8C or less to prolong battery life. Most Power Cells can take a higher charger. Charge efficiency is about 99 percent and the cell remains cool during charge."

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Reactions: eldorado

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesvillaroman