Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Am I crazy to do this?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be totally honest, I want a drone that produces great videos , I know basically nothing about photography as far as setting orvideo editing software, although I'm trying to learn. I have a mavic pro that I fly a lot and really love that thing, and I'm happy with the vids they are good just not great! I have the money at this point in my life to upgrade , although I'll keep my mavic, I love that little guy. Can I someone who has very little photography skill take some excellent videos straight from the camera and be happy with the video or is it way over my head and I just need to stick with what I have? I just want to fly take a video download it to my pc and not have to do a lot of extra things that I don't know how to do to make it look great. And if so I'd love to hear what one you recommend? I travel a lot and just want beautiful vids thanks.

A good fishing pole does not a fisherman make.......
Nor do fancy golf clubs make a pro golfer!!
;)
Videography is a skill that has to be learned.
Through trial, error, and practice.
Lot's of practice!
I agree with you 100 percent, that's why I was straight forward about my skill level... I am trying to learn as much as possible... lol but I am a darn good Fisher so I got that going for me.lol

You are not going to produce phenomenal footage with the X5S without dedicating time to post processing. To maximize your quality with ProRes or Raw, there is considerable time and effort required for a host of processes that are well worth the time and effort to master.

well i am the same can fly sua very well have inspie 2 with various lenses and my mavic which i love but dont understand all the photography side as in what appeture etc shutter speeds so just having a ball practicing and watching youtube vids to learn just about to get my pfco license to fly commercially keep going mate you will get it

well i am the same can fly sua very well have inspie 2 with various lenses and my mavic which i love but dont understand all the photography side as in what appeture etc shutter speeds so just having a ball practicing and watching youtube vids to learn just about to get my pfco license to fly commercially keep going mate you will get it
great reply thank you, can I ask a question? since you have the mavic pro as well like I do , how much difference in vidieo quality is there straight off the camera between the inspire and mavic with no edidting at all? I would think I would be a big difference?

only had inspire 2 a few weeks but yes i think to an untrained eye there is a big difference and im sure it will get better the more i understand all the technical photography

@Greenenvey – Would your primary use for the I2 be more for recreational shooting (photo and video)? Do you envision yourself proceeding into work for hire and professional work from there if that is the case?. We'd be happy to further assist and help to get you pointed in the right direction. Let us know what further questions you may still have.

Reactions: William Gaddy
Hey guys, I'm going to be totally honest, I want a drone that produces great videos , I know basically nothing about photography as far as setting orvideo editing software, although I'm trying to learn. I have a mavic pro that I fly a lot and really love that thing, and I'm happy with the vids they are good just not great! I have the money at this point in my life to upgrade , although I'll keep my mavic, I love that little guy. Can I someone who has very little photography skill take some excellent videos straight from the camera and be happy with the video or is it way over my head and I just need to stick with what I have? I just want to fly take a video download it to my pc and not have to do a lot of extra things that I don't know how to do to make it look great. And if so I'd love to hear what one you recommend? I travel a lot and just want beautiful vids thanks.
Man, I wish I could tell you that you can...and someone may, but it won't be me. Here's why. It is virtually impossible for any camera to anticipate constant changes present in any video shooting environment, AND...edit them into pro-looking footage on the fly. The only way to get "pro" looking footage is to have a completely controlled environment to include lighting, camera angles, white balance, cam settings, etc. That doesn't happen with a drone shoot.

If you would like a recommendation on some VERY excellent FREE instruction on much of what you are asking, follow this link:

Tony & Chelsea Northrup

Tony And Chelsea Northrup are photographers extraordinaire! AND, they regularly use drones in their shoots. Once on their channel, just search "drone". Not only does Tony show you how to shoot great video/stills, he teaches great drone aerial skills as well...for free.

My advice is 1) gain the knowledge, then 2) work hard and practice the skills. Sorry, I wish there were an "Easy Button", lol! Good luck!

If your interest is in primarily videography anyway, Invest in a used DSLR like a Canon EOS or Nikon -- going to be a lot less expensive than a full Inspire 2 kit. (you can find 'em used, even with stock lens kits, all over the place if you're on a budget -- I like the EOS 6D and it's stock lenses but that might be a little steep). Get a good tripod. Learn to tune the camera for photos (ISO, exposure/aperture, speed) to get the results you want in various lighting conditions (inside at night/day, outside when cloudy/sunny/nighttime/sunset shots). Progress to video. THEN you'll have a good idea of the expectations you really want to meet with a drone/camera platform. Other than that, if you're in a major metro you can always rent an Inspire kit for a day or two and see if you're happy with the results you can get.

Bottom line depends on two factors: your benchmark for quality and your desire to create the best video possible. If you set the Mavic and Inspire 2 settings to fully automatic, I'd guess that you will be absolutely dissapointed. There is not a significant difference to the untrained eye camera to camera. Even with a trained eye, the difference is not substantial.

Now if you are intent on expanding dynamic range (lightest to darkest levels captured), and you are annoyed with typical compression artifacts such as muddiness in darker areas, the I2 will not perform better unless you proceed to manual exposure, ProRes or Raw using an SSD drive, and color grading in post production.

After taking those steps, the improvement in overall quality is immense and noticeable in a side to side comparison even for the untrained eye.

Final recommendation: if you love to fly and really want the best footage possible, do not cut corners. Getting it right is half the journey, and it's really worth the effort.

+1 on the dynamic range and RAW points @BarryBittman .... I'll note you can get some pretty pictures from an Inspire 1 V2 X5R shooting RAW... but you have to grade in Post. And if your target distribution is Facebook or Youtube they're going to stomp the living s*** out of it anyway...

Reactions: deltalimatango
+1 on the dynamic range and RAW points @BarryBittman .... I'll note you can get some pretty pictures from an Inspire 1 V2 X5R shooting RAW... but you have to grade in Post. And if your target distribution is Facebook or Youtube they're going to stomp the living s*** out of it anyway...
Lol! So True! YouTube is a free-for-all when it comes to comments. Mostly by inexperienced trolls, lol. I always post-edit mine anyway. I go for a certain "look". Photoshop/Lightroom works well for stills. Premier/AE/Final Cut Pro are great for video post!

I use an Inspire 2 with the X5S and a Spark.
Both ends of the rainbow.
I will probably never master either.. but am having a ball learning.
Keep on...........

Great post. I have an I2 for photos and video. I am a still photographer by nature and hobby, but I wanted to get into aerial imagery so I started with a P4. Was good, but not great. Got the I2 and am pretty pleased with it even though the camera is M43 (I shoot a Nikon D810 so I am used to high image quality). I use a Mavic as well for fun and for those hard to get into places where the I2 would chop up stuff. :) To the OP, if you have the cash, drop it on the I2 and X5s and don't look back. Get Final Cut Pro X if you are on a Mac, or use Adobe Premier if you are on a PC or a Mac. Both are similar in functionality. Learning curves are not steep but you need to read a bit. If on a Mac, there is also iMovie. Easy to use and free.

202f47869d300eefc5fc0d8499ae8b74.jpg
2027d658b373741ef09e97b4004d3e6f.jpg

I shot these in RAW. The lowlight performance is decent when run through noise reduction and post (LR).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu