Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Applied for my 107 waivers today

You are correct. 107.39 is clear enough even an FSDO can understand it.

§ 107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

An operation that flies directly over people inside a parked car certainly meets the criteria in (b) above.

I thought 107.39 was not needed under part 107 if people are under cover that would shield them from a drone dropping on them from above? That would mean (to this non-attorney) that cars would provide such cover. Any thoughts on that?

Yes and no......static cars are OK with or without people in them........moving cars are not. Moving cars group you into same testing criteria to provide as "pedestrians on the ground". I explicitly mentioned I would not be flying over people in my application, however cars and people are tied together in the FAA application so be very careful addressing one and not the other even if the other doesn't apply. They will drag it into their reasons for denial. I resubmitted (got OK from local police to stop traffic for 20 min) No pedestrians....no moving cars....haven't heard hide nor hair for 80 days now after waiting over 30 for a response. We'll see what they come up with. This is frustrating and I'm starting to loose faith. I've flown over 20 paid missions...mostly topographic surveys for an Engineering firm Since Jan of this year....the ones where I have to wait for approval take so much time where the trees leaves start to fill in or snow may start to cover the ground............Its topographic surveying...........load mission in bird...take bird to site.......push friggen button....bird flys site usually less than 15 minutes at 200 feet AGL......bird lands.......I go home. But nooooooo.
Hurry up and wait............
I am a patient man.................................................to a point.

Thankfully I'm not creating anything so practical or precise as topo maps! )) Just good old fashioned cinematography. Just did a site walk-through and got clearance from LA County Fire Marshall and CA State facilities staff and LEO to fly the LA Soul Music Festival this weekend; presented my documentation (107 and drone registration). No problems - just a clearly defined plan - takeoff/landing location, go/no-go areas (basically no flying over audience), and we are cleared to go tomorrow! Here's my vlogged summary of the events along with a very loud sound check that happened today:
I'm also running a flight student-centered blog ( theflightstudent.com ) as I'm learning to fly fixed-wing as well as this drone stuff.

Reactions: N.J.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineC