Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Are ND filters really necessary?

that is a serious piece of kit!

custom or is it available for purchase?
Custom mod, utilizing Firecrest standard filter and Olympus lens hood. Tricky balancing device on camera back cover is required as well...

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    846 KB · Views: 25
I fly an inspire 2 with the 5s camera and am wondering what the drawback would be with me changing my aperture setting to around F16 or so on a sunny day rather than using a ND filter? I’m very interested to hear if this approach is sensible. Feedback is appreciated.

Your question has generated some really excellent discussion here - good advice from knowledgeable people! I'll add just a comment or two.

I wouldn't presume to argue against the use of ND filters. They have their uses. But I would just add that every time you add glass into the light path you add a new source of image distortion. How much depends on the quality of the "new" glass; and how noticeable it's going to be probably depends on how good your image would have started out in the first place - without that "new" glass.

Also - It's true that the sharpest image a lens will render usually occurs around f5.6 if the lens has a multiple leaf-style aperture apparatus because the ratio of non image-forming (that which is being scattered by the edges of the aperture plates) to image-forming light (that which you intentionally allowing into the lens) is lowest at that setting. But sometimes depth-of-field is more important in the image; and smaller apertures (larger f-numbers) yield greater depth of field.

It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your imagery.

GREAT DISCUSSION!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Offet1989