Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autofocus speed

I have developed a sort of continuous tap sequence now when I fly as to always try to maintain some sort of focus. It can be annoying as there is no continuous focus but it is better than nothing at the moment.

You can also set C1 or C2 to auto focus in the center of the screen when ever you tap the switch.

There is another way - it requires some more money and a few more things to keep track of while flying. If you use a second monitor that has a decent focus assist and the focus wheel you can acheive very good focus.

We do this with Secraft trays and mount a SmallHD monitor or anything that you trust for reliable focus assist to it. You feed it from the HDMI port on the back of the remote (works on Inspire 1, Inspire 2 and M600). Since you can trust your focus assist in this scenario you can use the focus wheel or full size DJI focus hand unit for fine tuning.

We mount the Focus hand wheel with a Secraft EZ Clamp and have it point out the right side of the tray.

Its more to watch as you are flying (especially if you do the FPV screen on your mobile device and the camera feed on the monitor) - definitely adds some cost to your set up - but you can get good manual focus this way.

Here is a link to the components:
Secraft

Thanks!

Michael

There is another way - it requires some more money and a few more things to keep track of while flying. If you use a second monitor that has a decent focus assist and the focus wheel you can acheive very good focus.

We do this with Secraft trays and mount a SmallHD monitor or anything that you trust for reliable focus assist to it. You feed it from the HDMI port on the back of the remote (works on Inspire 1, Inspire 2 and M600). Since you can trust your focus assist in this scenario you can use the focus wheel or full size DJI focus hand unit for fine tuning.

We mount the Focus hand wheel with a Secraft EZ Clamp and have it point out the right side of the tray.

Its more to watch as you are flying (especially if you do the FPV screen on your mobile device and the camera feed on the monitor) - definitely adds some cost to your set up - but you can get good manual focus this way.

Secraft

Thanks!

Michael

Here is my Secraft tray with a focus wheel and iPad mini 4. I usually point the wheel down a bit more, I pointed it out just for the photo.

FW.jpg

Secraft

Thanks!

Michael

Can you post a photo of the set-up with the second monitor for focus?

SmallHD makes some very nice ones...and they have some that are daylight viewable so you will not have the reflection and viewing issues of a mobile device. Of course you can get the regular brightness ones and get a sunshade as well. Black Magic Design also has come out with some nice looking monitors (that can also record in ProRes 422). I have not personally tried one yet, but they look quite good. Here are a couple links:

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Video Assist

SmallHD: On-Camera Field Monitors for the Creative Video Professional

Also, Atomos makes a few nice monitors as well. You could also check with them:

Atomos

Let me know if you have any questions or if we can help with any of this stuff for you. We don't actually sell these items (other than the trays and the copters), but we sure have used them a lot!

Michael
www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

Thanks, I appreciate all the info. If I go this route I will be coming to you for the trays.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu