Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

B4U FLY App question

Reaction score
On the B4U FLY app it shows you the airports in your current location that are within 5 miles of you. It states the law says you are supposed to notify any of the airfields within the 5 miles before you fly. I have little small privately owned backyard airfield's come up on the map and even some smaller airports. How are you supposed to look up all of these airports and private airfields that come up on the map and find a phone number for all of them? It would take you a week to do so! I don't understand it, there is no contact info on the app? Maybe I'm missing something here!

As long as you fly responsibly and not too close to airport you will be OK. I don't think anyone expects you to spend a lot of time trying to contact every little airport. Just be mindful of your aircraft and surroundings and stay as far away from airports as possible.

RK,

You bring up a great point that I have been wondering. The B4UFly Crap, I mean App is a F*ng joke. The FAA has no intent on helping UAS pilots, they just setting up ways to screw them. If the Data used for AirNav.com is free and available then why didn't the app include the phone number in the app (on the phone your using) so you could contact them. Because they don't want you to.

Additionally, the rules says airports but if you read into the FAR's it does it include Heliports? Last I read the airports that require notification must have an instrument approach, and/or a operating control tower. If a small (R) private field does not have either a CTAF frequency and weather reporting capabilities then it is not required to be notified. I'm sure some donkey will ask me where I came up with that, so I'll go back to my notes and look for it. But as an airline pilot, I'm not allowed to read magazines at cruise so lately I've been reading the FAR's, AIM, Circulars, just about every piece of aviation information that is available on my company provided FAA approved device.

As a side note I started using the Hover App, I'm not sure I like it, but B4UCrap is useless. They have also removed some of the airports that do not qualify. I have called several small private strips in the past and a few medical heliports and they were not very nice. The heliport requirement is 2nm and its a coordination not permission. You can also file complaints about about airports, owners and managers especially if they are blocking commerce and have no legitimate reason. And their reasons must actually be legitimate, a coordinated flying at a private strip with no operating tower, parachute activity. They can't just say no because its a threat to safety, they have to provide an actual reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc