Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery heater turns off if you insert in to the I2

Reaction score
It was 5 A.M when i arrived at the start of the mission which required me to climb a mountain. Before i started the climb i calibrated compass saw the DJI GO said temp below 15C need to pre heat batteries. I turned off I2, removed the batteries and activated the heaters. Just before we stated the climb i reinserted into the I2 the LEDS were still flashing at that time and the battery was warm to the touch. All good so far !!

When i got to the chosen place to film i turn on DJI GO and it said "battery heater" to my surprise the LED lights had turned off on the batteries. Had to wait with I2 turned on and the battery heater to kick in automatically but this time controlled by DJI GO.

I experimented once back home. If you insert a battery in to I2 with battery heaters "on" they will turn "off"

So lesson is keep them in your pocket until time to fly then insert and let the I2 be in control.

Reactions: Lucky
It was 5 A.M when i arrived at the start of the mission which required me to climb a mountain. Before i started the climb i calibrated compass saw the DJI GO said temp below 15C need to pre heat batteries. I turned off I2, removed the batteries and activated the heaters. Just before we stated the climb i reinserted into the I2 the LEDS were still flashing at that time and the battery was warm to the touch. All good so far !!

When i got to the chosen place to film i turn on DJI GO and it said "battery heater" to my surprise the LED lights had turned off on the batteries. Had to wait with I2 turned on and the battery heater to kick in automatically but this time controlled by DJI GO.

I experimented once back home. If you insert a battery in to I2 with battery heaters "on" they will turn "off"

So lesson is keep them in your pocket until time to fly then insert and let the I2 be in control.
Yes it makes sense that the heater disengages once inserted.

Also, I strongly advise against calibrating your compass before every flight (every time you move location) - unless you want to run the risk of loosing your new toy.
Plenty of posts on my theory behind why it is bad to calibrate every time on here. Have a search.
Also, don't forget the Inspire 2 does not offer true redundancy on all sensors since it only has two/dual IMU and compass. Three is needed for true redundancy.

I had traveld ove 100 miles to the new location i thought such a distance would require compass calibrations as the DJI GO said it was required.

press and hold the battery check button for 3 seconds the number 1 and number 4 LED will flash alternately. to stop do just the same. Can only do this when the battery is NOT in the inspire.

Reactions: Seaflyer
Dr Jon: can you actually fly with the battery heaters on if controlled by DJI Go? Or will it only let you fly after the heater turn off when the temperature is good?

The I2 will turn heater on if required when you start up the I2, on you will see a change in icon status on the battery symbol to show its heating. Once its up to temperature the DJI GO will turn of the heaters off as the battery itself will generate heat as part of being used. If your in a real cold place well below zero best is to look at the 'battery page" on the DJI Go app. you will see the temperature of each battery. If these are significantly below 15C i would wait fro them to reach a working temperature. It doesn't take very long fro my experience.

But if your heading to such cold weather best to start the heating process when the batteries are not in the I2. I found placing them on the dash of the car helped significantly to get them warm then i pressed heater start and by the time i had fitted props go through my take off check list the batts where fully in control of DJI GO and at around 15C already.

Reactions: Seaflyer
Thanks. But does it actually fly with the heater automatically switched on by the app, if required?

Here is some more information about the heater I posted on RCG

Battery Heater
The battery will heat itself automatically if the cell temperature is lower than 15 degree celsius after powering on the inspire2. It will keep the temperature between 15-20c by adjusting the heating power. if the battery temperature is higher than 20c the heating element will stop heating.

You can also warm up the battery manually by pressing the battery button for 3 second . There is no need to insert the battery into inspire2 before flight in cold environments.

The heating element draws 70W power for each battery at a 5C/minute warming rate. If heating from -20C, you will need 7 minutes to reach 15C with a consumption of about 8.2Wh (about 9% capacity).
The flying performance will be similar to fly in warm weather.

Reactions: Lucky

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74