Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it sounds to good too be true. But i hope not. I also realized that we are gonna see Damons Inspire 1 with all of those batteries(890g) above in the near future.. I hope he is out flying right now :)

Last edited:
Ok, did a bit more digging and I see what Titan is doing.... although I should have recognized it by the shape of their packs. They are using high end 18650 cells similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C26OWG..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=XW6A6DF8430MT0SBE2R8

I've used these Panasonics in the past for multiple different flashlights (mainly, head and handlebar lamps for riding bikes at night). They last forever in lighting applications and the voltage of course makes for some very bright light. Of course, these lights are low amp draw and it has always been my understanding that these batteries do not do well under heavy amp draw. At the same time, I've never tested them under any heavy amp draw nor have I looked up any new stats on them recently. Sounds like they are 5C-10C rating from what Damon said and what I've seen on Titan's site. It wouldn't surprise me if these Panasonic cells are in that range then as well as they are high quality cells. If that is the case, I think I'll just build a pack on my own. That's what I've done before when I used them for lights.

You can see the actual cell model numbers used in the photos I posted (labels on the batteries). They make no secret of what they're made of.

I heard the Endurance were not great on the I1. How are the Fast Discharge ones, Damon?

One observation is that with batteries of different sizes, the side batteries drain first and at some point the main battery is powering not only the aircraft but also charging the external batteries, creating unneeded drain on the main battery in the last 3rd of flight.

So I think in future tests I will try more closely matching external and internal battery capacities.

Two tests I think I will queue up are using two 3S MultiStar 5200's with a TB48 and using two 3S 4500's with a TB47.

That cannot be correct. Since the batteries are in parallel they always have the same voltage. Therefore one battery cannot be charging another.

That cannot be correct. Since the batteries are in parallel they always have the same voltage. Therefore one battery cannot be charging another.

Hmm..mine definitely seems to charge the main battery--at least the LEDs indicate so.

I've been following this thread for a few weeks and finally decide to give this mod a try. I'm a little more comfortable taping the battery, so I started with TB47. I had no trouble following the instruction from the OP for adding add aux inputs.

My next decision was finding a mounting solution and decided on an arm mount. I used a Tarot TL80B04 for 25mm tube, which works very well.

For batteries, I decided to start with a pair of Zippy Compact 1800 mAh lipos. This is a bit conservative; however, with the TB47 I can hover for 20 minutes and land with 20% left in the TB47 and each Zippy 1800. This is about 5 minutes added to my TB47 standard hover times.

Next step is to mod the TB48's (or AC) and will probably go with a pair of 2650 or 2700 20c batteries, I've not decided which model, but the 20c 2650 weighs in about the same as the 1800 Zippy 40c, so I'm hoping for about 5 - 6 additional minutes.

None the less I am happy with the results so far. This is simply an easy mod and has a considerable performance enhancement with little to no side effects.

Thank you all for sharing your setup information.

20160817_150622.jpg 20160817_150642.jpg 20160817_150708.jpg 20160817_150715.jpg 20160817_151214.jpg 20160817_151221.jpg

Out of shear curiosity, are most doing this mod using just the x3 or have some used x5/R as well? X5 itself weighs considerably more than the x3

Out of shear curiosity, are most doing this mod using just the x3 or have some used x5/R as well? X5 itself weighs considerably more than the x3
I run an X5. I get 26 minutes of normal flight time (no hovering) from a TB48 and Multistar LiHV 6600.

I've been following this thread for a few weeks and finally decide to give this mod a try. I'm a little more comfortable taping the battery, so I started with TB47. I had no trouble following the instruction from the OP for adding add aux inputs.

My next decision was finding a mounting solution and decided on an arm mount. I used a Tarot TL80B04 for 25mm tube, which works very well.

For batteries, I decided to start with a pair of Zippy Compact 1800 mAh lipos. This is a bit conservative; however, with the TB47 I can hover for 20 minutes and land with 20% left in the TB47 and each Zippy 1800. This is about 5 minutes added to my TB47 standard hover times.

Next step is to mod the TB48's (or AC) and will probably go with a pair of 2650 or 2700 20c batteries, I've not decided which model, but the 20c 2650 weighs in about the same as the 1800 Zippy 40c, so I'm hoping for about 5 - 6 additional minutes.

None the less I am happy with the results so far. This is simply an easy mod and has a considerable performance enhancement with little to no side effects.

View attachment 9581 View attachment 9582 View attachment 9583 View attachment 9584 View attachment 9585 View attachment 9586

good fine... look like factory.. :D
i may going to try next.. but one thing i do concern is about the Servo motors.. if it get too heavy will it effect on the motor life span ?

good fine... look like factory.. :D
i may going to try next.. but one thing i do concern is about the Servo motors.. if it get too heavy will it effect on the motor life span ?
Can't say for sure; however, I did transition the gear a number of times while checking prop clearance and it sounds and looks smooth.

View attachment 9581 View attachment 9582 View attachment 9583 View attachment 9584 View attachment 9585 View attachment 9586

Just loitering around all loaded up.
20160820_073829.jpg

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont