Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a lot to see going on there. You really need to fire the bird up and get it into flight data log mode and extract the DAT file to find out more. But a few observations:

- that looks like critical infrastructure - petrol transport station or refinery of some kind? A picture was exported with rail cars being loaded with liquid and giant tanks in the background. The thought had occurred to me that perhaps this facility detected your flight and set out to end it. Just a thought...the temp loss of signal shortly before the aircraft fell from the sky was interesting, if not evidence of interference.

- flight ended at around 280ft up

- no obvious aircraft faults fired

- power was at a healthy looking 50%+ when it went down

- no battery or power faults or stress were evident

Get the DAT file for sure. The theory about hitting an unseen power line on the way back might well be the correct answer but gather the data first before drawing that conclusion.

Can you comment on and/or post pics of the condition and state of the props when you recovered the aircraft? Were all props and adapters attached? Some missing? Props broken off? Etc.

I'm wondering if it's possibly a compass error issue causing TBE . If you look at when gimbal reached the end point it links with the compass going erratic and flight deviating from flight path. Craft switched to Atti mode, then back to GPS mode. My guess is compass cal was poor or possibly was affected by localized mag effect that sent IMU for an error loop that crashed craft. My personal rule of thumb for high power lines is 250 m away.

If there had been something done by plant staff I'm sure they would have been out and had a "meeting" with you to discuss your flight. Thus I'm inclined to rule that out completely.

Sorry for your loss of craft, but that's the risks we take every time we launch these UAV's.

Yes could possibly be a strong magnetic interference that caused it, I am beginning to think that could be the case. If it did not clip the power lines then it could be it was not far above and the power lines were in the flight path, and they are high power ones also.

The AC is heavily damaged I will see if it will power up to get the dat file. I recovered all but one half of a prop that seems to have the adapter end with it. So I have 3.5 props that were all laying right at the crash site. It could be a prop failure also but If it was it is hard to explain why they are all there but just not the one half. I think on impact it may have flown somewhere up to 100 feet away. I have looked for the other half but cannot seem to find it, its like looking for a needle in a haystack. I would think if it were a prop failure 1 prop would be completely missing from the crash site, it would be found not next to the AC?

What do I do with the dat file that I recover from the aircraft if I can get it?

Thanks @damoncooper and @Canuck32 for looking.

I'm wondering if it's possibly a compass error issue causing TBE . If you look at when gimbal reached the end point it links with the compass going erratic and flight deviating from flight path. Craft switched to Atti mode, then back to GPS mode. My guess is compass cal was poor or possibly was affected by localized mag effect that sent IMU for an error loop that crashed craft. My personal rule of thumb for high power lines is 250 m away.

If there had been something done by plant staff I'm sure they would have been out and had a "meeting" with you to discuss your flight. Thus I'm inclined to rule that out completely.

Sorry for your loss of craft, but that's the risks we take every time we launch these UAV's.

I think those ATTI mode and gimbal limit reached errors are a result of the tumbling as it fell to the ground. You see both in any kind of crash.

So after more careful inspection I noticed I have all the props except for 1 whole complete prop with adapter. What was confusing me thinking I had 3.5 props was one was split in half lengthwise and I missed it on initial inspection. So I have definitely come to the conclusion it is a prop/adapter failure, moreover the adapter. I was using the STO adapters not the LP ones. I felt they worked really well and were always tight after everyflight. However in one previous recent flight I do remember taking off the prop and it being a bit loose. I just thought I myself may have forgotten to tighten it so since then I explicitly told myself to make sure they are all tight. I think over time taking them on and off they have become easier to loosen.

This has to be it cause the whole prop is missing with the adapter piece that goes on prop. I think having more stress as in weight from extra batteries may not help either how fast it loosened (the motors spinning faster/working harder in accel and braking), but still a prop failure. I will order now the Lynh Phan adapters and use them explicitly. I would NOT recommend the STO adapters to anyone now, because I know I made sure the adapters were tight before take off.

Reactions: niki
So after more careful inspection I noticed I have all the props except for 1 whole complete prop with adapter. What was confusing me thinking I had 3.5 props was one was split in half lengthwise and I missed it on initial inspection. So I have definitely come to the conclusion it is a prop/adapter failure, moreover the adapter. I was using the STO adapters not the LP ones. I felt they worked really well and were always tight after everyflight. However in one previous recent flight I do remember taking off the prop and it being a bit loose. I just thought I myself may have forgotten to tighten it so since then I explicitly told myself to make sure they are all tight. I think over time taking them on and off they have become easier to loosen.

This has to be it cause the whole prop is missing with the adapter piece that goes on prop. I think having more stress as in weight from extra batteries may not help either how fast it loosened (the motors spinning faster/working harder in accel and braking), but still a prop failure. I will order now the Lynh Phan adapters and use them explicitly. I would NOT recommend the STO adapters to anyone now, because I know I made sure the adapters were tight before take off.
Sorry John for your lost, but I must soliciting you posting the cause of your accident, that makes me/us much confidence on our bird. Thanks again.

Sorry John for your lost, but I must soliciting you posting the cause of your accident, that makes me/us much confidence on our bird. Thanks again.

Yes exactly gotta let everyone know cause if it wasn't prop adapter failure it would make me even question what else could it have been and definitely would be so worried for any future flights on any aircraft. On to get another one hmmm black or white?

Reactions: Raphael Dahan

That's for sharing your experience and honest observation of the accident.

Cracking thread, and very informative. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
I do a lot of wakeboarding / waterskiing, they are 15 minute sets and with faffing a TB48 isn't quite enough. With the help of this thread I've ordered the kit to add a couple of 1.5's to my Inspire.
Hopefully that should just top the TB48('s) up enough.

Only thing is I need the acceleration from 0-35mph to keep up with a 400HP boat. We'll see what happens....

Reactions: damoncooper
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Where have you attached your battery wires too?
It's not going to the top of the battery is it going directly to the power board ?

Using a 10-gauge XT60 all black extension to top of battery.

The fact that you didn't immediately see it means I have achieved the desired effect :)

Thats how I mount mine. Sweet spot seems to be the yellow Zippy 2200 35C. Obviously less flight time than with the Multistar, but with 5200/6600 additional mah its a bit on the heavy side.

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: damoncooper
Thats how I mount mine. Sweet spot seems to be the yellow Zippy 2200 35C. Obviously less flight time than with the Multistar, but with 5200/6600 additional mah its a bit on the heavy side.

Fanti what have you gotten for flight times with the x5 with different batteries?

I got 23:11 to 10% with the X5R with two TP 3300's. Hoping for a bit more with 2700's.

Reactions: niki
I got 31.33 down to 10% with the Multistar. With the Zippy about 23 mins

Is it just me or a product of the rolling shutter on the camera used to take those two photos, but there looks to be a crazy amount of flex on those props Fanti.

Using a 10-gauge XT60 all black extension to top of battery.

The fact that you didn't immediately see it means I have achieved the desired effect :)
Thanks Damon.
I've read you how to post. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm using 2 X 3s batts so is the best way to do it in series or parralle.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu