Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Camera: horizon tilted - how to cure?

Reaction score
On my Inspire 1 the horizon of the camera picture is not level. The right side of the picture is higher than the left side. Looks like the whole picture, or the camera itself, is rotated a bit to the left. Can this be corrected by means of the settings in the app or does it have to be done by dji?

On my Inspire 1 the horizon of the camera picture is not level. The right side of the picture is higher than the left side. Looks like the whole picture, or the camera itself, is rotated a bit to the left. Can this be corrected by means of the settings in the app or does it have to be done by dji?

Curious what you find. I have found the same thing.

Sure it can be fixed in post but definitely not straight.

You see horizon here : https://goo.gl/ky34Yd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TrapDour77
@gruvpix: manual (V2.0) only gives rest for the Pitch and Yaw of the camera not for a rotation in the horizon (roll) of the picture recorded.
Read the latest manual and could not find any reference to this.

@AeroMirage: will try this during the weekend

It's a common problem that I have never found an answer for.. Drives me crazy. I calibrate on perfectly level surface (using piece of plywood and a level that I bring with me). I go on up and as I yaw, the horizon begins to tilt. It seems to be worse on windy days.

I think what's going on is that because of the wind the Inspire itself has to tilt into the wind to maintain position. And the cameras horizontal plane is in relation to the inspire, NOT the earth.

I could be wrong buts it's the only thing I can think of as it is definatly worse on windy days.

I really need to try to use horizontal camera control instead of yawing the Inspire next time I'm out just to see if it still does it.

Last edited:
Do a cold calibration of your gimbal. You will find you gimbal is parallel in one direction but not 180 from this. It does even up if you fly with care and plan your shots. If your flying around at great speeds yawing the heck out of your aircraft you will always get uneven horizon issues.

I had this problem but recalibrate everything and it seems to be solved. IMU first, away from any EMI and perfectly flat. Place a long spirit level across the propellors hubs and shimmy each leg until its level in all directions. Then the gimbal (make sure you haven't set any gimbal bias) and finally the compass. No large hydro cables, generating stations etc nearby.

Like AeroMirage told: press C2 and adjust with right thumbwheel. You'll get a crisshair on the screen of the app and can use it to adjust the roll of the horizon. Works like a charm!

Reactions: DamesNY
@CvdL also try going into the gimbal settings and adjusting the gimbal roll in flight. I have found that once you click the + or - once the gimbal will kind of figure out that it is crooked. So just click it all the way to one side (+ or -) and then back to zero and that should reset it. You do this in flight. Let me know if this solves your issue. Also if you can't find the gimbal roll adjustment option I'll look it up in my app and get you the exact menu (though I keep my craft and app at an older s/w version).

It's a common problem that I have never found an answer for.. Drives me crazy. I calibrate on perfectly level surface (using piece of plywood and a level that I bring with me). I go on up and as I yaw, the horizon begins to tilt. It seems to be worse on windy days.

I think what's going on is that because of the wind the Inspire itself has to tilt into the wind to maintain position. And the cameras horizontal plane is in relation to the inspire, NOT the earth.

I could be wrong buts it's the only thing I can think of as it is definatly worse on windy days.

I really need to try to use horizontal camera control instead of yawing the Inspire next time I'm out just to see if it still does it.
Agree that the wind seems to affect the gimbal roll. I use a slave with roll on right stick to correct but this seems to compound the problem rather than alleviate it. The C2-Right wheel roll correction is slow, and jerky and risks changing exposure if done incorrectly! And meanwhile your eyes are down not watching the aircraft while fixing the level.
Looking for a fix as this seems to be an upgrade problem. The roll issue is worse now than it was before the recent camera updates. A gyro should not change level with the aircraft so not sure what is going on with this.

Reactions: Aerial-Pixel
I've noticed wind does make it worse too. I've noticed it more on windy days using my X3 than when using my X5.

Reactions: eldorado
Agree that the wind seems to affect the gimbal roll. I use a slave with roll on right stick to correct but this seems to compound the problem rather than alleviate it. The C2-Right wheel roll correction is slow, and jerky and risks changing exposure if done incorrectly! And meanwhile your eyes are down not watching the aircraft while fixing the level.
Looking for a fix as this seems to be an upgrade problem. The roll issue is worse now than it was before the recent camera updates. A gyro should not change level with the aircraft so not sure what is going on with this.
I have explained this a few times on the forum.
It's just how three axis gimbals behave - see my post #3 in this thread.....
Terrible horizon drift - even with balanced camera and lens and starting up on flat ground.

Reactions: eldorado
Does this work with the Inspire 1 as well?

I guess that if your firmware on I1 and remotes are at the latest version, then it will work.
I think the "fine control" of roll axis may have been a recent software improvement.
Give it a try on your transmitter and let us know?

I guess that if your firmware on I1 and remotes are at the latest version, then it will work.
I think the "fine control" of roll axis may have been a recent software improvement.
Give it a try on your transmitter and let us know?
Confirmed Inspire 1 v1. Press and hold C1 then roll the right wheel to adjust horizon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadpoetryweb