Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Choppy/flickering video (not playback related)

Reaction score
Hi friends, I have gone through all the choppy or flickering issues I could find here, but all the issues I have read about are related with playback issues such as the screen, computer, premiere settings, etc.
In my case I have tested the original video from the x5r (both the mov and the dngs) on different computers and devices but I'm getting the same issue. The flickering/choppy effect (not sure how to call it since it looks like a mix o both) is more noticeable on zenith shoots, when you have a lot of detail that is moving entirely from frame to frame. It is like the sensor not being able to manage that amount of changes between frames.
But if it's compression related, I don't understand why I'm getting the same result on the RAW file. Phantom 4 pro seems to be much better on this, not sure if it's mechanical shutter it's the reason. The Panasonic gh4 on s900 it's completely smooth compared with x5 or x5r. I have own both x5 versions and this issue is present on both.

I have try different shutter speeds and fps combination (24fps-1/50s, 30fps-1/60s, 24fps-1/200s, etc) but it seems to have no effect on this issue. Indeed the Phantom 4 Pro shutter's speed is pretty high because I have no nd filter for it and still is much better.

In post I have tried fix the effect with Optical Flow on Final Cut, Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free, Revision Effect's Motion Blur... with no luck.

Here's is an example:

I know that Phantom Pro video is higher in altitude and the horizontal velocity is slower, but in many other tests I have found it much smoother than x5.

The X5R footage looks like it was shot at a 1/200 shutter speed, or faster (1/500 or 1/1000). That often produces such a choppy effect.

At 30 frames/second, each frame covers 33.33 milliseconds. When you shoot at 1/200, each image covers 5 milliseconds. That leaves 28.33 milliseconds, the vast majority of the frame, uncovered. So you see 5 milliseconds of footage displayed for 33.33 milliseconds, then the next frame jumps ahead by 28.33 milliseconds.

However, I do see that you tried 24 FPS at 1/50 and 30 FPS at 1/60. That follows the "180 degree rule", which says that motion looks most natural when the sensor is open for 1/2 of the frame duration. If this is correct, and if this X5R footage is from such a shot, then I have no explanation for this.

Reactions: Pablo Betancourt
However, I do see that you tried 24 FPS at 1/50 and 30 FPS at 1/60. That follows the "180 degree rule", which says that motion looks most natural when the sensor is open for 1/2 of the frame duration. If this is correct, and if this X5R footage is from such a shot, then I have no explanation for this.

Indeed it was shot at 24fps / 1/50s in this case.

Found this thread that suggests that shooting 24fps could be the main reason, but also that x5 cameras are really bad:
X5 motion blur
I'll make more tests at 30 fps to see if it improves a little the effect.

I also have pulsing/flickering problem on my Phantom 3 4K footage. Have you tried setting your exposure values, and then locking them in using the AE lock button? It's on the upper right of the screen and is greyed out unless you press it. Then it lights up. This will keep your values from jumping around while you're filming. Just tap it again and it turns off if you need to make additional corrections for your next shot.

Simply looks like standard 24fps to me. Anything moving that quickly across the frame at 24fps will look like this. It can look smoother with slower shutter speeds... but not much, just gets smeary.

You really do have to move painfully slow at 24fps if having a flat subject move straight across the frame, such as in your example above. You can get away with much faster movement on manoeuvres such as POI, but that's because the main subject is being held central to the frame, essentially static as the focus point that draws the eye, whilst the background moves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers