Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cinema SSD cards.

Reaction score
Website
wilmercb.square.site
Does the Cinema SSD cards are only needed with the Zenmuse X5S camera to record Apple ProRes and/or Cinema-DNG? (I know you have to buy license keys for those formats) or Can they be use to record the standard 4K with the X5S and not using MicroSD cards?

Thanks for any help!

FYI i learned that the 120GB ssd's don't allow you to record 4k, raw at 60 fps only 30fps. The larger sad's allow it. I guess they figure at 20GB/minute customer satisfaction would be low with total recording time of about 6 min! ;)

Reactions: WilmerCB
FYI i learned that the 120GB ssd's don't allow you to record 4k, raw at 60 fps only 30fps. The larger sad's allow it. I guess they figure at 20GB/minute customer satisfaction would be low with total recording time of about 6 min! ;)

Thank you didn't know about it. My main interest is on Apple ProRes for now, since is outstanding!

I'm trying to figure out the smartest way to spend my money on SSD media and would love to hear people's opinions. I'm assuming the majority of clients (Film/TV industry) are going to be happy with/want 4K 24P (23.976) ProRes. The smallest 120G card records 18 minutes of this at 4K and 13 minutes of this at 5.2K (strange that UHD isn't listed as a spec on DJI's site?). Considering flight time in minutes is in the low 20's, this seems like a good choice. Even though the cost per GB is higher, you can buy more cards and just consider that one flight = one card. Each flight can be downloaded while the next flight is being recorded with an added safety factor that you're pulling media after every flight. You can buy 4 cards for the cost of two 240G (with a bit of savings).

But 240G is compelling because it is a bit cheaper per GB and opens up options for Cinema DNG.

I'm not even considering the 480G unless someone has a really compelling reason to drop that much money on a single stick.

Thoughts?

I'm trying to figure out the smartest way to spend my money on SSD media and would love to hear people's opinions. I'm assuming the majority of clients (Film/TV industry) are going to be happy with/want 4K 24P (23.976) ProRes. The smallest 120G card records 18 minutes of this at 4K and 13 minutes of this at 5.2K (strange that UHD isn't listed as a spec on DJI's site?). Considering flight time in minutes is in the low 20's, this seems like a good choice. Even though the cost per GB is higher, you can buy more cards and just consider that one flight = one card. Each flight can be downloaded while the next flight is being recorded with an added safety factor that you're pulling media after every flight. You can buy 4 cards for the cost of two 240G (with a bit of savings).

But 240G is compelling because it is a bit cheaper per GB and opens up options for Cinema DNG.

I'm not even considering the 480G unless someone has a really compelling reason to drop that much money on a single stick.

Thoughts?
That's why I went with the 240GB, it's a happy medium if you're going for CinemaDNG and ProRes, plus 20ps photo burst.

I am waiting for someone to figure out how to do something similar to what they did with the battery for the Osmo. Bypass that CINESSD and let me mount my own SandDisk extreme under the bird. I can buy a 1TB SanDisk Extreme for $348.00. That is what I use to record 4K RAW via my BlackMagic Cinema 4K to either RAW or Apple ProRes. DJI is jacking up the price of that SSD to an insane 3x the price of a normal 3.5 SSD and the download times are ridiculous. I can firewire or thunderbolt the SanDisk in a few minutes.

Reactions: Cruncher
Yup. I ain't no engineer but the only justification I see for them using those totally inconvenient and way overpriced SSD cards is to take full advantage of capitalism and force people into no other choice. By the way, where are you all getting your media? Direct from DJI or elsewhere online? Given the cost of these things I'm looking for a reputable source that offers free shipping, no tax, and preferably can provide stock within a reasonable amount of time. Though I realize that inventory is probably out of everyone's control. Took DJI almost two months so send me a single 120G stick.

Yup. I ain't no engineer but the only justification I see for them using those totally inconvenient and way overpriced SSD cards is to take full advantage of capitalism and force people into no other choice. By the way, where are you all getting your media? Direct from DJI or elsewhere online? Given the cost of these things I'm looking for a reputable source that offers free shipping, no tax, and preferably can provide stock within a reasonable amount of time. Though I realize that inventory is probably out of everyone's control. Took DJI almost two months so send me a single 120G stick.
Aerial Media Pros gets all of my business. These boys are on top of your orders, actually call to confirm that the order is accurate, and ship the same day. Of course, the Chinese New Year has put a dent in the inventory for everyone, but once that has caught up, I recommend these boys whole heartedly.
Just as a point of order: I have absolutely NO cash incentive from them and don't often give recommendations. I do in their case because they will treat you right... 100% of the time.

Thoughts?

I decided to go with the 240G. Couldn't justify the cost of the 480G for what I do. Shipped from @Advexure yesterday and is saying it will be delivered today. Also ordered the Focus Handwheel.

Reactions: Advexure
Sorry but please could somebody explain why the 240 GB SSD drive is a better deal than the 480 GB? I would assume you would be buying more than one of these as if you use 422 HQ you can only get 36 minutes at UHD which is 1.5 flights. If you work it out based upon the prices of the SSD's on the DJI website the 480GB is the better deal.
240 GB SSD £519
480 GB SSD £909

If you buy 2 240 GB SSD is you would be £110 worse off! Am I missing something here?

I Must admit have only just taken delivery of my I2 so I am a noob! :)

Why...

If you run a couple of 240Gb's then:
- one full card can be downloaded while you're flying and filling the other.
- you've only got 240Gb to lose in the air if you crash'n burn ;)

If you just run a single 480Gb then:
- you're stuck on the ground until it's been downloaded and reformated
- If your I2 is lost, you've lost all your footage ('cuase you didn't download half of it :D )

So, the 240Gb is worth a little money hit for the convenience - you can keep flying more easily than with the single 480GB.

And, if two 240GBs don't quite keep you flying and you need a third, then it'll only be £1.5K instead of £2K, then it's actually a few hundred squid cheaper and you're laughing :D
Of course, if you're feeling flush and have a couple of grand to spare, then get two 480GB's :D

Last edited:
You are correct that the bigger media cards offer a better value dollar to GB however you need to consider a few things...

1. That media has to be downloaded. Consider the time spent downloading all that media before the card can be used again.
2. Drones crash. Better to shoot footage on a smaller card and start getting that safely downloaded while you (refer to #1 above) get right back to flying with another card.
3. Cards/drives fail. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, in this case the basket being one big very expensive card.

To me it's worth paying a slight premium for both the added convenience and safety factor that comes with multiple smaller cards.

Oops...I pretty much repeated what NickU just wrote - my bad. Anyway, consider that a +1 for his post.

Yeah okay I see what you mean! I am still thinking takes an hour or 2 to download onto a external HD SSD

From what people are saying, if you're using a USB3 system and downloading onto an SSD drive, then you can get some pretty good download speeds. The slowdown comes when you download to a slow mechanical hard disk (either internal or external).

Takes me only 20 min to download 480 gb onto flash storage FYI. Not hours. 480 gb only way to record raw too so if you do decide to get the cinema dng license, you will be set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers