Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Correct procedure

Not sure if this helps or muddies thing even more, but I just wen through 400+ pages of the part 107 rule. The only references to flight logs are in the Docket Comments section (see below copied right from the part 107 rule the last paragraph I think addresses the issue, but if someone disables that logging, then it would seem there's no problem:

Several individuals said small UAS should be equipped with flight data recording systems or “black boxes” so that operators can be held accountable for infractions. One individual said that, for those aircraft that can record flight log data, there should be a requirement to preserve that data in the event of an operation that causes injury or property damage. The commenter further suggested that, in case of airspace violations, the FAA consider requiring all such flight logs be kept for some predetermined period of time.
Due to the mitigations provided by part 107 that reduce the likelihood of a small UAS flight resulting in significant injury or property damage, a requirement to equip small unmanned aircraft with flight data recorders would be unnecessarily burdensome.

The Washington State Department of Transportation, Aviation Division said documentation of maintenance should be required for small UAS operated over large assemblies of people, such as professional sporting events, large concerts, and “similar environments where a safe landing area is likely unavailable.” NetMoby suggested that operators should be required to log the results of each preflight inspection for inspection by the FAA if needed.
Under Executive Order 12866, the FAA may “adopt a regulation only upon a reasoned determination that the benefits of the intended regulation justify its costs.” Imposing maintenance or preflight-check recordkeeping requirements, such as the ones suggested by the commenters, would likely result in a significant cost because the remote pilot in command would have to create new paperwork every time that he or she conducts a preflight check, or every time that any type of maintenance is conducted on the small UAS. At this time, the FAA does not have data to determine whether the safety benefits of additional documentation would be sufficient to justify this burden, especially in light of the significant safety mitigations already provided by the other provisions of part 107.

One individual suggested that a remote pilot in command must enable and make available to the FAA any flight log recording if the aircraft and/or control station is capable of creating such a recording. In response, the FAA notes that this rule does not require that a small UAS operation have the capability to create a flight log recording. However, if a small UAS does create such a recording, § 107.7(b) will allow the FAA to inspect the small

I went thru all of it also and came up with what you did.

Interpret this as you will, I know what it means to me! "In response, the FAA notes that this rule does not require that a small UAS operation have the capability to create a flight log recording. However, if a small UAS does create such a recording, § 107.7(b) will allow the FAA to inspect the small"

This is the email I received. Maybe clarifys any confusion I posted.

Kevin,

In accordance with FAA Order 8900.1 Volume 16, Chapter 5 , Section 2, states MAINTENANCE RECORDS. Inspectors should request that the operator present maintenance records…...

Additional –

1) Ensure that all open discrepancies from the previous flight are resolved in accordance with the operator’s procedures and conditions and limitations in the grant of exemption.
2) Review any associated maintenance documents to determine if repetitive maintenance problems exist, which might indicate a trend.

E. Examine the Maintenance Log. Ensure that the operator has recorded discrepancies noted during the site visit in accordance with the conditions and limitations in the grant of exemption. If time is available, monitor the operator’s corrective actions. Be aware the maintenance “logbook” may not be a formal log as in manned aviation. The operator is required to document maintenance and test flights.

Quite grey, but that benefits the operator. Basically UAS operators need to maintain the UAS in an airworthy condition. Having maintenance logs provide this assurance.

If a UAS causes personnel injury, (of the public), and or damage structures, etc, can the operator prove the UAS was in an airworthy condition at the time of the preflight, (Preflight/inspection also should be documented)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: SanCap
This is the email I received. Maybe clarifys any confusion I posted.

Kevin,

In accordance with FAA Order 8900.1 Volume 16, Chapter 5 , Section 2, states MAINTENANCE RECORDS. Inspectors should request that the operator present maintenance records…...

Additional –

1) Ensure that all open discrepancies from the previous flight are resolved in accordance with the operator’s procedures and conditions and limitations in the grant of exemption.
2) Review any associated maintenance documents to determine if repetitive maintenance problems exist, which might indicate a trend.

E. Examine the Maintenance Log. Ensure that the operator has recorded discrepancies noted during the site visit in accordance with the conditions and limitations in the grant of exemption. If time is available, monitor the operator’s corrective actions. Be aware the maintenance “logbook” may not be a formal log as in manned aviation. The operator is required to document maintenance and test flights.

Quite grey, but that benefits the operator. Basically UAS operators need to maintain the UAS in an airworthy condition. Having maintenance logs provide this assurance.

If a UAS causes personnel injury, (of the public), and or damage structures, etc, can the operator prove the UAS was in an airworthy condition at the time of the preflight, (Preflight/inspection also should be documented)

Hope this helps.

Thank You for that.

hey guys/gals

I have not seen if there is preflight a correct procedure to attach props and battery. Should you prop it first and then install the battery? Or the reverse. This may sound like a funny question but we are told FSDO inspections will be around our area and I am trying to get ALL my ducks in a row. We had a routine we used for Pre/post but I think we are moving in a better direction. Thanks

Back to the original question, my 2 cents.

1. Insert batteries without props. You need them to get out of landing mode anyway. Additionally, you don't want to insert the batteries with props in the way (in case they spin up for whatever reason).
2. Power OFF I2 and double check. This will avoid the motors spinning up when you attach the props.
3. Attach Props and cross check. Go round the aircraft in a set direction, then go around again to check secure fit.
4. Power on controller and check battery level. Tx always on first, so that the aircraft doesn't inadvertently connect to another controller in the next step.
5. Power on aircraft and step back.
6. Preflight checks on app and go fly!

2 reasons for props to spin up unexpectedly - aircraft riding on the wrong signal, or someone pushing up on your throttle. Avoid both by doing step 3 through 5 in that order.

You can't get hit by a spinning battery while attaching props, but you can get cut by a spinning prop while inserting batteries if the aircraft comes mysteriously alive once you insert the batteries. Thus, batteries before props.

So there's nothing in part 107 mandating the keeping of any logs, just comments and opinions. Not saying it is not a good idea to do so, I do.

You know our local seems to lean towards record keeping. What I am afraid of is bucking his advice because somewhere else questions the need and we end up on the short end of the stick. I will keep the records and schedule him to do the inspection of our operation, something else the local required...:)

I was a real pilot once and ..

You can't "Unpilot"... once a pilot always a pilot :)

....I have a maintenance logbook with all inspection/repairs records for each one of my birds, and a flight logbook. It's just my thing..

Ditto!! Well I keep my maint logs electronic and just print off a copy every month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc