Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CrystalSky 5.5" Initial Review

well that sucks....there s gotta be a solution for inspire 2 with this crsytalsky screen because the ipad mini 2 screen isnt cutting it.

iPad Pro has been good for me...once I found the right tablet extender holder.

Looking forward to the CS though, got my 5.5 today mainly for my Mavic and then a 7.85 on order for I2

View attachment 14794 IMG_0679.PNG IMG_0680.PNG

I did the same mode, great idea!!! I have both monitors and they work great! out in the open; very bright, very clear and really no use for a sun hood. The monitors screens are much better to see in bright light, than my iPhone 7+ or iPad mini 3.
I did try the 5.5 & 7.8 CS Monitors with my I1 Z3, but kept getting battery cycle warning Pop-ups...so needless to say, I didn’t even bother to do a test flight(side note no battery cycle pop ups when using iPhone or iPad mini). My P4 Pro returns from Carson Ca sometime next week. I’ll be testing/using them on it as well.

If I had one wish, it would be the ability to use 3rd party apps, but I don’t think that’s ever gonna happen...IMO

Attachments

• IMG_0681.PNG
    IMG_0681.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: mpaerial
You can turn the neck around:
8ef3f6f3c0f8ab13c20b603623755e90.heic

Reactions: mpaerial
How does it perform in the sun?

Significant improvement over iPads. There still is glare with the 1000-nit brightness version but without a doubt it's a much better viewing and overall performance experience than an iPad.

Not sure where you're located but as we all know, heat (and cold) have a major impact on iPads' battery life. Thus far, CrystalSky has really been holding up very well during hot weather flying. We've been working with them on a regular basis for about 2 weeks now here in 85+ in Southern CA and a buddy of ours just did some testing in 100+ desert heat. Fantastic performance.

Very happy with the CrystalSky thus far.

So I am trying to figure out why. Why would you go with these? Freaking hell. They cost between $600 and $850. They are a dedicated GO runner. Can't run Litchi. Can't run anything else. These are a single purpose device that is locked into whatever DJI feels like letting you do with it (I wouldn't hold my breath on allowing other apps to run).

nVidia K1 is $199. Same screen size (maybe a pinch bigger to be honest). Smaller profile. Lighter weight. Runs any app. Looks better. More capable.

So why would yall even consider these especially given DJI's track record with firmware pushes and requirements on top of the insane price tag. What advantage do yall see in these?

Used my Crystalsky 5.5 in 90-95 degree heat this week, Florida Peak sun. Got hot around the edges, functioned flawlessly, fan whirring away. OK in Peak sun (adjust angle for bright colored clothing glare)... I always wear a charcoal or black shirt with iPad. I tried the CS without the protective plastic on the screen, then reinstalled it. Like it better with the shipping wrapper until Nuscreen nails it... NuScreen is great on iPad.

The SD slots acknowledge and work MicroSDs to 128GB. Anyone else verify this too?

I use one of those 3D mounts from eBay (Mavic plastic "clip under" mount, with the CS Adapter on the back (by the antennae)). This mount rocks. I lined it with HDPE tape, slides on and off controller easily, while being very secure during use. Simple woven USBc cable (8 inch).

Great monitor for Mavic, other mounts will work fine I'm sure. I don't run Litchi, but I agree, I would like chart libraries, manual PDFs, DroneLogbook, METAR, NOTAM, Lockheed Martin on mine. That said, I live in a very WiFi dense area, don't mind having a way to reduce "RF contamination/ App risk".

I very much did not like pulling out the I2 180 charger, very annoying, so I found a 57W Osmo charger which works perfectly and is 1/6 the size and weight in the briefcase sized case, grabbed a spare battery as well. convenient.

I rate it a 9, with upside for open apps (even if they limit the ones for safety), and they should include the OSMO 57w charger for this price.

I put it on my I2, tight real estate with 2 cameras and my eyesight. Great on a single camera rig...

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Used my Crystalsky 5.5 in 90-95 degree heat this week, Florida Peak sun. Got hot around the edges, functioned flawlessly, fan whirring away. OK in Peak sun (adjust angle for bright colored clothing glare)... I always wear a charcoal or black shirt with iPad. I tried the CS without the protective plastic on the screen, then reinstalled it. Like it better with the shipping wrapper until Nuscreen nails it... NuScreen is great on iPad.

The SD slots acknowledge and work MicroSDs to 128GB. Anyone else verify this too?

I use one of those 3D mounts from eBay (Mavic plastic "clip under" mount, with the CS Adapter on the back (by the antennae)). This mount rocks. I lined it with HDPE tape, slides on and off controller easily, while being very secure during use. Simple woven USBc cable (8 inch).

Great monitor for Mavic, other mounts will work fine I'm sure. I don't run Litchi, but I agree, I would like chart libraries, manual PDFs, DroneLogbook, METAR, NOTAM, Lockheed Martin on mine. That said, I live in a very WiFi dense area, don't mind having a way to reduce "RF contamination/ App risk".

I very much did not like pulling out the I2 180 charger, very annoying, so I found a 57W Osmo charger which works perfectly and is 1/6 the size and weight in the briefcase sized case, grabbed a spare battery as well. convenient.

I rate it a 9, with upside for open apps (even if they limit the ones for safety), and they should include the OSMO 57w charger for this price.

I put it on my I2, tight ream estate with 2 cameras and my eyesight. Great on a single camera rig...

That is all AWESOME information. Thanks for sharing, @Photologist. CS seems to have no problem in heat (here's another CrystalSky Heat Review by our friend Robert Starling with one of our demo units).

Have not tried a 128G SD so cannot verify quite yet. Typically use multiple 32's.

5.5" is definitely awesome for Mavic. Now that MavMount has a CS Adapter I really think their mounting solution is the best out there. Check it our here: MavMount Tablet & CrystalSky Mount for Mavic

Charger not included and 3rd party app compatibility are the two cons we've been hearing most often. Osmo charger is great, otherwise P4 charger is nice smaller one as well.

Again, thanks for sharing the great review and safe flying! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour