Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

deactivate flight lights

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Help' started by m00se, Apr 6, 2015.

1. m00se

is there any way to deactivate the flight lights other than using electrical tape :)

2. RolandRSA

Why would you want to do that?

3. m00se

top secret, lol,
    im flying in a place with permissions etc, but I want the drone to be low key, i dont want people looking at it in the video etc, dont want the subject of the film to get distracted.
    I would like to avoid the tape, because I might get disorientated and need the lights to get back, it will be a night flight

4. sirnikolas

I wouldn't recommend that mate. What if something were to go wrong and you need to respond quickly and bang you hit someone. We all know she has a mind of her own every now and then. Do not disable the LED's.

5. m00se

Im quite worried about what if it goes wrong, flight lights or not, i need to put as many flights on it as possible before then just to get my trust in it up .

6. Mazz

Mazz Moderator
    Staff Member

I record for an indoor concert venue locally. Have done over a dozen flights indoors for them. It will never get any less nerve racking I assure you.

PS have insurance and have them place you on theirs. Thats what I did. Plus, ask them to put a sign out at the entrance that a quad will be filming inside. If the number of people attending is small enough, have them all sign off that they read it. Spotters are necessary because people are dumb and like to throw stuff. I always have my biggest guy walking around under it if I have to be anywhere near people. I also have to refuse some requests by the venue owner due to safety. We hook the big screen into my slave controller with metrics turned off.

7. m00se

do you have single controller control and then use the slave as just an output?
    I have been flying multis for 5 years, so im confident enough to get it done, but there will be some very important people present, my plan is to keep a good enough distance to allow me to ditch it far away from them if it goes beserk, im sure I will be asked to film up close though,

I have refused many jobs in the past due to safety issues, and will do so again if needs be, I never let the customer pressure me into making the wrong descision, if I trust the craft I will slowly build up to the more risky stuff, if I dont trust it I will never get in close to anything or anyone,

8. InspiredOne

One would the think the noise would draw attention long before the lights would. Just a thought.

Can you get a muffler for these things? o_O

Wiski23 and sirnikolas like this.
  9. m00se

unless theres a worldclass dj playing at the same time ;) I made a muffler out of an old can and some cotton wool, you should try it

10. Outta Control

Just a thought here. I agree not to block the lights but you could probably dim them a little and flight higher to reduce the noise.

For dimming the light look into using a window tinting film.

johnmont250 likes this.
  11. m00se

hmmmm, not a bad idea,

12. Mazz

Mazz Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya, when there is a concert playing you do not notice the quad. To be honest, a lot of people do not see it either because of the crazy lights.

13. Outta Control

You maybe right but I for one would notices a drone flying purely based on my situational awareness. Especially brightly lit flying objects day or night.

Kilrah likes this.
  14. InspiredOne

Concert??? o_O Dang, the second one I've missed this morning. Kilrah should be here shortly to rap my knuckles with a ruler. ;)

15. Kilrah

Same here. I'm one of those guys who will notice anything even if it's behind me and hidden under a cover, lol.

16. jon b

not legal

17. Mazz

Mazz Moderator
    Staff Member

I am sorry you have such little information and feel the need to make improper inferences but what I do is absolutely legal. I fly inside of a private venue above gated off areas that are for myself and employees only. Normally I would not feel the need to "prove myself" to anyone but to go and say I am breaking laws when you have no idea what I do is a bit ignorant. Ask questions. Be informed. You may want to take that advice in your everyday life.

Kilrah, mdomeny and Sunscreen like this.
  18. Outta Control

Your comment is too vague. Please explain and educate us.

Wiski23 likes this.