Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Deep Cycling at any %?

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Is it okay to do? Reason why I asked is because I flew my 4 TB48 batteries yesterday down to 30%. Then I put them in my Smart PowerCharger for deep cycle. It was draining all night and 2 of them finished and charged almost to 100%. I ended up falling asleep trusting the charger to do it's thing. Now here is the problem... Sometime during the night I had a power outage. So now I can't remember which 2 batteries has already been drained completely and charged to full. One of the batteries has 4 charges on it. When the power came back on, the batteries ended up charging and the 2 batteries that was discharging must of went into charging mode. The voltages I saw on the charger gauge read 25.8v, so almost full. Currently the weather isn't the greatest, it's raining. So flying it to drain the batteries down can't happen today. The new battery of 4 charges will be draining down to 3.3v twice. Hopefully it won't hurt the battery because it's too soon to be cycled down that low already.

As we speak, I got the charger set to deep cycle mode on all 4 batteries. So it's draining as we speak from 25.8v I last saw before I stopped it. I figured to deep cycle all 4 again because I wasn't able to remember which 2 has already been deep cycled. Hopefully it's okay to deep cycle the batteries without having them fully charged. I would assume the reason why they say to have it at 100% is because you would be flying the Inspire?

Is it okay to do? Reason why I asked is because I flew my 4 TB48 batteries yesterday down to 30%. Then I put them in my Smart PowerCharger for deep cycle. It was draining all night and 2 of them finished and charged almost to 100%. I ended up falling asleep trusting the charger to do it's thing. Now here is the problem... Sometime during the night I had a power outage. So now I can't remember which 2 batteries has already been drained completely and charged to full. One of the batteries has 4 charges on it. When the power came back on, the batteries ended up charging and the 2 batteries that was discharging must of went into charging mode. The voltages I saw on the charger gauge read 25.8v, so almost full. Currently the weather isn't the greatest, it's raining. So flying it to drain the batteries down can't happen today. The new battery of 4 charges will be draining down to 3.3v twice. Hopefully it won't hurt the battery because it's too soon to be cycled down that low already.

As we speak, I got the charger set to deep cycle mode on all 4 batteries. So it's draining as we speak from 25.8v I last saw before I stopped it. I figured to deep cycle all 4 again because I wasn't able to remember which 2 has already been deep cycled. Hopefully it's okay to deep cycle the batteries without having them fully charged. I would assume the reason why they say to have it at 100% is because you would be flying the Inspire?
Yes it's fine.
The reason for deep cycling is basically to reset the end points. That is what is 'empty' and what is 'full' or fully charged.
These points change over time and use as the packs age and internal resistances of the cells increase and the pack overall loses capacity.
That's why DJI fly by percentage is just arbitrary and very inaccurate and why cycling is needed to recalibrate the 'fuel' guage.

Yes it's fine.
The reason for deep cycling is basically to reset the end points. That is what is 'empty' and what is 'full' or fully charged.
These points change over time and use as the packs age and internal resistances of the cells increase and the pack overall loses capacity.
That's why DJI fly by percentage is just arbitrary and very inaccurate and why cycling is needed to recalibrate the 'fuel' guage.
Ah I see makes sense. I wonder if the new drones coming out like the Mavic Pro 2 will have a different way of the battery knowing what's 0%-100%?

Not sure how quick the Smart Powercharger drains a battery... but I stepped out of the house at 6:30 I believe and the 2 batteries were at 21.5v, almost done deep cycling. I come back around 8:50 and I see those 2 batteries are now at 24.8v. I assume 7:00-8:50 was enough time to drain down to 20.0v?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
channelSale