Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

DJI Inspire buying an inverter or a portable generator

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by RedHawkUAV, Aug 27, 2015.

1. RedHawkUAV

Hey everyone, I just got my smart power charger for my Inspire 1. I'm contemplating on buying either an inverter for my truck or a portable generator to charge my batteries out in the field. I was told I would need a pure sine wave inverter. Need as much input as I can get on this, not too familiar with either a inverter or a generator.

I would like to use either or to charge 6 batteries, 4 with a smart power charge, and the other two with two regular chargers. Now, for the two portable chargers im looking at the

http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-11613-Generator-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00FL89I2W

and the

http://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-HY2000si-2200-Watt-Portable-Generator/dp/B004919NEK

___

ALL input is appreciated, what are you guys using? Thanks

2. turbodronepilot

Hey RedHawk..
    welcome to inspirepilots.com. ..
    inverters are good if you don't mind leaving your vehicle running on scene. ..must run motor to maintain the vehicles battery ..
    I use a 400 watt inverter that plugs into the cig lighter that easily charges two batteries at a time..it was 80.00 usd..
    the hyundia looks good and would probably run at half load with six batteries charging. .
    I'm not sure how many hours you spend working ,but you might want to weigh the cost of a generator vrs. the cost of a couple more batteries. .

RedHawkUAV likes this.
  3. Steve Domigan

Unless you have another use for the big generator I would go for the smaller unit. Inverters are hard work, go for the genset.

RedHawkUAV likes this.
  4. AndyH

I used to use an inverter that was connected to a deep cycle battery that was connected to an isolator. It was great for all of the lipos that I ran with other RC stuff. Never had to worry about draining the battery or leaving the car running. Not sure if I would trust that setup for a smartpowercharger setup though. Stay with the Hyundai generator. It's probably quieter and has cleaner power.

RedHawkUAV likes this.