Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Do i need to calibrated compass ... for a new locations that 100 kilometer away ?

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by fei8820, Jun 12, 2015.

1. fei8820

I going to having some aerial photo tomorow.. will travel around 100km from the place i used to fly... do i need to recalibrates the compass ? I will going to a place like very big ferrealloy factory... to have some shot...

Please advice...
    thanks

2. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Personally, I would not. I regularly travel over 250 miles to a location and never recalibrate anything - it is not necessary.
    However, ALWAYS check your mod values before EVERY flight (even swapping batteries).
    If they are not right do not take off.

3. nickruss_wales

Good tip - I have checked the manuals and cannot find any reference to what sort of range the mod values should be. Can you shed any light?

4. damoncooper

Normal compass Mod values are location specific (Mali = 300, Boston = 1200-ish).

5. LockMD

Then why does everyone keep saying 1400-1600, no matter the location?

6. damoncooper

I guess most folks here are roughly the same-ish distance from the equator

7. fei8820

Thanks i just finish my mission today it was very windy.. i take off more than 300meter for clear shot... around 1.5km everything went perfectly. Now i would like upgrade range extender... at the future is not about long distant i get.. but to make sure i have 100% in control of my video n the aircraft...

8. David Gibson

So, If I understand you, Would I be correct in doing a compass calibration and noting the values when completed and then use those values as a guide for checking them on later flights.
    Or is there a bet way of getting the correct mod values for my part of the world (UK)

9. tweaker

Very interesting wrt Compass mod values. I was under impression 1400-1600 was the acceptable parameters no matter location.

Do the parameters vary dependent on where you are on the planet a bit like magnetic variation when turning a grid compass bearing into a magnetic one? It would make sense if it did-but I have only seen the 1400-1600 guideline given.

Can anyone elaborate? Do we need to compile a sticky with acceptable mod values for specific locations worldwide?

Thoughts-as the cat is thrown amongst the pigeons!!

10. Outta Control

Actually a better question should be is if we can collect and have a list of recommended Mod Values throughout Merika Would be nice for all.