Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fall from glory

Reaction score
I met a guy online yesterday who was selling all of his inspire related gear but no inspire so I asked him what happened to the bird. He tells me he flew way to close to a building that happened to be AT&T which was transmitting high levels of wifi and caused catastrophic interference. The inspire fell from 100ft onto concrete and was destroyed. This raised a few questions for me I figured I would ask you guys.
1- is there a cap on price to how much DJI would charge to fix it?

2- I now see the value in the worry free insurance I was do dead against but how does it work? Is it $600 a year from DJI or is it only available the first year you own it?

3- what insurance do you guys have? Crash/oops insurance, Drone insurance with 1,000,000 of coverage or both.

4- does the 1,000,000 insurance cover accidents and flyaways?

5- lastly he was going to throw it away and I offered him $100. Would you guys invest in fixing the inspire or just keep the internals for spare parts?

I'm sorry for so many questions but I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and I look forward to reading your responses. Have a fantastic day.

Reactions: paulhankin
Hello,

The Inspire is work a lot more selling it piece by piece then it is as a whole. With that said, If you purchase it for $100 and it becomes too expensive to fix, you can make that $100 back fairly quickly by selling one or two parts from the unit.

Your first step would be to ask him for pictures of the bird, from there you can determine how many parts are still in decent shape on the Inspire. Of course your always taking a chance something looks good but doesn't function at all.

If it was me, And the seller accepted $100 for the drone, I would purchase it in a heartbeat, It would have to be a VERY bad crash for you to not be able to at least get $100 in parts out of it!

I'm a commercial operator, so I'll answer in that context for your question #3 and #4:

I go through Transport Risk Management for my policy. I shopped around and TRM offered the best deal based on my circumstances. In doing market research, I found that quotes for $1M liability and $1M bodily injury ranged from $950 to $1600 per year from the various providers. TRM added fire, premises, and liability from sale which fit my business model nicely.

Generally a $1M UAS insurance policy only covers liability and bodily injury. I had to add "hull insurance" for the Inspire and then separate coverage lines for the X3, X5 and the Z3 cameras.

I would be interested in knowing what the $600 worry free insurance from DJI covers.

Thanks

Supposedly it covers everything including shippingbut no flyaways or water damage. My buddy just told me that State Farm covered his mavic for $50 a year. Doesn't cover small repairs but covers what you hit along with drone replacement period. Flyways, water damage etc.. are all covered. I am going to call them today and see what it would cost for the inspire and I will get the AMA coverage as well. My business insurance also covers my drone also but I need to call before I fly every time which is a pain but I figured until I establish a true drone business I will use all three coverages and once I am established I will just get a policy that covers me all the time. AMA and State Farm for when I'm practicing and business insurance when on a job.

I met a guy online yesterday who was selling all of his inspire related gear but no inspire so I asked him what happened to the bird. He tells me he flew way to close to a building that happened to be AT&T which was transmitting high levels of wifi and caused catastrophic interference. The inspire fell from 100ft onto concrete and was destroyed. This raised a few questions for me I figured I would ask you guys.
1- is there a cap on price to how much DJI would charge to fix it?

2- I now see the value in the worry free insurance I was do dead against but how does it work? Is it $600 a year from DJI or is it only available the first year you own it?

3- what insurance do you guys have? Crash/oops insurance, Drone insurance with 1,000,000 of coverage or both.

4- does the 1,000,000 insurance cover accidents and flyaways?

5- lastly he was going to throw it away and I offered him $100. Would you guys invest in fixing the inspire or just keep the internals for spare parts?

I'm sorry for so many questions but I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and I look forward to reading your responses. Have a fantastic day.
As to question number one no there is no limit What DJ I will try to charge you. I had a prop failure that was on film and it cost me one of my Inspire 1. I sent it back to DJI and they tried hitting me with a $2,000 repair bill. After going round and round with them I finally got a new bird from them for $1,400. I was incredibly pissed. They totally ignored the physical evidence of the prop failure and tried telling me that I hit a power cable that was 100 yards from the actual incident. They did so because the prop came off when the bird was 27 feet in the air hand there Google Map located a spot or the wire hung at 27 feet and they told me that is where my Inspire 1 it's a power line when the spot they were referring to was that the other end of the street. I don't much like DJI Unfortunately they are the only ones that we really have a choice of.

That's pretty f'ed up. I ended up going with State Farm. $100 a year and whatever happens to it they send me a check. Hopefully I never need it

Supposedly it covers everything including shippingbut no flyaways or water damage. My buddy just told me that State Farm covered his mavic for $50 a year. Doesn't cover small repairs but covers what you hit along with drone replacement period. Flyways, water damage etc.. are all covered. I am going to call them today and see what it would cost for the inspire and I will get the AMA coverage as well. My business insurance also covers my drone also but I need to call before I fly every time which is a pain but I figured until I establish a true drone business I will use all three coverages and once I am established I will just get a policy that covers me all the time. AMA and State Farm for when I'm practicing and business insurance when on a job.
I am very very interested in what state farm has to say. You say that you are paying them $100 a year interest to cover your drone? I would be very interested in information so that I may acquire that as well. Thank you much for your time I appreciate it.

I am very very interested in what state farm has to say. You say that you are paying them $100 a year interest to cover your drone? I would be very interested in information so that I may acquire that as well. Thank you much for your time I appreciate it.

Personal Articles Policy – State Farm®

Check out the manual. I'm still waiting for the details but the agent was very good at explaining that I am covered for just about every circumstance imaginable. I will post more info once I receive my pack

I'd like to know opinions on Verifly. Has anyone used it? Anyone actually filed a liability claim?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen