Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FINALLY APPROVED ND-FILTERS !

Different tool for a different goal. Yes, a graduated filter will reduce the light for the sky IF you are trying to keep the image below it at the shutter speed you want. Otherwise yes a nd filter will reduce blown out sky, not direct sunlight but it will clear up a lot of the sky but it's also dependent on clouds, white *** clouds will probably still be blown out.

No, that is not true. As I said, the only thing a ND filter will do is move the EV down the scale. All the ND filter does is reduce the amount of light--all light--that enters into the lens and hit the films or sensor. It does not recognize the difference between the light coming from the sky and the light coming from the ground. It cannot selectively filter out light .

Using the ND, if you expose for the sky, the ground is dark. If you expose for the ground, the sky is over exposed. You can't have it both way with a ND filter any more than you can without.

5.42 am the first shipment is ready to take off by DHL !!!
We received the CEO of factory who took airplane back at 11pm last night. A report of it follows later. Since then we were working non-stop to get all ready for DHL and before Chinese holidays of Mai 1st. We are exhausted and will go asleep for a peaceful "day-rest". We will sent you as fast as possible the tracking numbers. The friends of the first shipment, who had the most patience for finalizing this project, may be sure that within 4 hours their filters will fly to destination.
smile.gif

Renaat & Aileen
exhausted.jpg

142 shipments !

Last edited:
More great news! You two are the best, although I think you, Renaat, got the better deal. ;) What a lovely wife you have! We are grateful for all your hard work and time. Thank you!

Get some well-earned rest.

Reactions: sirnikolas
More great news! You two are the best, although I think you, Renaat, got the better deal. ;) What a lovely wife you have! We are grateful for all your hard work and time. Thank you!

Get some well-earned rest.
6 am now, miss is in bed now, I wait for DHL and start to send you all the tracking number.
As a lot of you paid with a different account (that was a big work to link the emails) we will do the effort to send it not via Paypal email, but to private email.

No, that is not true. As I said, the only thing a ND filter will do is move the EV down the scale. All the ND filter does is reduce the amount of light--all light--that enters into the lens and hit the films or sensor. It does not recognize the difference between the light coming from the sky and the light coming from the ground. It cannot selectively filter out light .

Using the ND, if you expose for the sky, the ground is dark. If you expose for the ground, the sky is over exposed. You can't have it both way with a ND filter any more than you can without.

I never said it could tell the difference, all light is reduced, I also never said you could have it both ways, all I said was it will reduce the light from the sky... In video (as that's my background) it's far better (and easier) to brighten an image then to have to darken one thats over exposed and I can only imagine that this holds true with photography as well.

I also got email with track number. Thank you very very much.:) I'll post my movie with these filters.

Last edited:
I never said it could tell the difference, all light is reduced, I also never said you could have it both ways, all I said was it will reduce the light from the sky... In video (as that's my background) it's far better (and easier) to brighten an image then to have to darken one thats over exposed and I can only imagine that this holds true with photography as well.

Well, that was certainly your implication. That's why I kept pressing you on it. We've all been vague, at one time or another, hence the need for vigilance in technical discussions.

You are correct (and what you should have said was), expose for highlights and adjust the for shadows where there is still detail (presuming it hasn't gone totally black). Blown out highlights and totally underexposed shadows retain no details, therefore no details are left to pull out of anything.

6:00 PM
I had my day-sleep to recover of the night work. Wow, thanks you all for such a support ! We are warmly chocked.

We got some mails of not working tracking numbers: it is normal, DHL picked up the filters early afternoon … I was sleeping. My wife handled with them all afternoon, for some address issues of fans living in not really common areas. At this moment your filters are passing the customs. DHL will publish the tracking afterwards, in 2-3 hours. So please wait for tomorrow.

I had a positive conversation with the CEO of the factory (who brought by airplane the filters himself last night and flew back at 11pm) :
- shortly we can make all filters if there is a minimum demand of 100
- they earned nothing on the DJI-filter production as a lot of R&D, but they were excited to make them (I like this kind of factory, exceptional in China)
- they are making a lot of filters for western companies and only are interested for high level products, they have no brand name, always acting in sub-contracts. Again, when you buy in the West, 80% of your products are made in China, even the top level brands. They are only ashamed to say it is made here. So they re-pack or transform a very bit to claim "made in the west". China: the only problem is to find the right factory and add your western creativity, they will make it.
- I would like to help them, as they deserve by an exceptional service, perhaps to set up a brand for them. He told me for which brands they produce filters, I was very surprised, western brands that say "made in the US". By the way they bought the DJI-filters too to analyze (after my broken ND4 I sent), it was coming from the Netherlands (?!)
- We analyzed to fulfill your wishes:
* all new filters to be produced has a very minimum of 100 pieces for production: UV, skylight, polarizer, gradual ND, ….
* concerning the polarizing: personally, I think it is useless for video in the case of flying a drone: polarizing means filter certain light waves to get these nice skylights etc.. Light waves have different directions reaching the sensor. To use a polarizer you need first to decide you flying direction, set up the grade of polarizing (not so easy because you are not yet in the air with the Inspire), keep the same cap during your flight (!!!) . In practice: we have a 17 minutes flight range, in the air we like to record as much as useful videos for our project, different angles, this is NOT possible with a polarizer as the polarizing effect will change with each angle. You will need to fly back every time to adjust your polarizer….. you will need 10 batteries and you will never have a nice flight with smooth turnings, that is just what we want. Conclusion, useless for video, except if you want 1 straight line capture.

- developing new filters meeting the standards of Schneider (I am fan) or the sister company B+W: true match variable ND's for video-cameras or now popular DSLR's. But this is not a DJI-subject.
- making a line of filters for the GoPro…… already a lot in the market, mostly medium quality manufacturers … Our CEO has a Gropro and made filters for himself (he is a very sportive guy) just for his own excitement, never produced for mass production. Thinking about …. but too much work for us, we need to set new company, we already have 3 to manage ….. and this year I will have 60 !
- the CEO likes your comments for a constantly improvement. Chinese like western to make their copies higher level ! That is perfect working together, same philosophy as applied DJI by the way.
- new developments will be managed in co-operation with me, and yes will will take a small profit from now. Too much personal investment for free, is not normal neither. We needed to refuse or to delay some video orders because of the filter. But we do not regret, as you warm heart support made us happy and that is the most important.

Meanwhile my wife rejoins me at 6:43 pm as DHL is still calling her to fix some zip code issues, not found in the DHL data-base. But until now, we could solve all. As some fans mentioned their zip-code without country ! So reading back you private mails…… we could found out where you are living. Example: zip-code with PR …… it was in Puerto Rico !! So they are still analyzing before scanning and leave QD-airport, but it will be today !

Thanks again to all of you, you were really encouraging, from now we will focus on the second shipment after 4 days presence on the media fair in Qingdao (we already missed the first day).

Have a happy flight season.

Your faithful,

Renaat & Aileen

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
6:00 PM
I had my day-sleep to recover of the night work. Wow, thanks you all for such a support ! We are warmly chocked.

We got some mails of not working tracking numbers: it is normal, DHL picked up the filters early afternoon … I was sleeping. My wife handled with them all afternoon, for some address issues of fans living in not really common areas. At this moment your filters are passing the customs. DHL will publish the tracking afterwards, in 2-3 hours. So please wait for tomorrow.

I had a positive conversation with the CEO of the factory (who brought by airplane the filters himself last night and flew back at 11pm) :
- shortly we can make all filters if there is a minimum demand of 100
- they earned nothing on the DJI-filter production as a lot of R&D, but they were excited to make them (I like this kind of factory, exceptional in China)
- they are making a lot of filters for western companies and only are interested for high level products, they have no brand name, always acting in sub-contracts. Again, when you buy in the West, 80% of your products are made in China, even the top level brands. They are only ashamed to say it is made here. So they re-pack or transform a very bit to claim "made in the west". China: the only problem is to find the right factory and add your western creativity, they will make it.
- I would like to help them, as they deserve by an exceptional service, perhaps to set up a brand for them. He told me for which brands they produce filters, I was very surprised, western brands that say "made in the US". By the way they bought the DJI-filters too to analyze (after my broken ND4 I sent), it was coming from the Netherlands (?!)
- We analyzed to fulfill your wishes:
* all new filters to be produced has a very minimum of 100 pieces for production: UV, skylight, polarizer, gradual ND, ….
* concerning the polarizing: personally, I think it is useless for video in the case of flying a drone: polarizing means filter certain light waves to get these nice skylights etc.. Light waves have different directions reaching the sensor. To use a polarizer you need first to decide you flying direction, set up the grade of polarizing (not so easy because you are not yet in the air with the Inspire), keep the same cap during your flight (!!!) . In practice: we have a 17 minutes flight range, in the air we like to record as much as useful videos for our project, different angles, this is NOT possible with a polarizer as the polarizing effect will change with each angle. You will need to fly back every time to adjust your polarizer….. you will need 10 batteries and you will never have a nice flight with smooth turnings, that is just what we want. Conclusion, useless for video, except if you want 1 straight line capture.

- developing new filters meeting the standards of Schneider (I am fan) or the sister company B+W: true match variable ND's for video-cameras or now popular DSLR's. But this is not a DJI-subject.
- making a line of filters for the GoPro…… already a lot in the market, mostly medium quality manufacturers … Our CEO has a Gropro and made filters for himself (he is a very sportive guy) just for his own excitement, never produced for mass production. Thinking about …. but too much work for us, we need to set new company, we already have 3 to manage ….. and this year I will have 60 !
- the CEO likes your comments for a constantly improvement. Chinese like western to make their copies higher level ! That is perfect working together, same philosophy as applied DJI by the way.
- new developments will be managed in co-operation with me, and yes will will take a small profit from now. Too much personal investment for free, is not normal neither. We needed to refuse or to delay some video orders because of the filter. But we do not regret, as you warm heart support made us happy and that is the most important.

Meanwhile my wife rejoins me at 6:43 pm as DHL is still calling her to fix some zip code issues, not found in the DHL data-base. But until now, we could solve all. As some fans mentioned their zip-code without country ! So reading back you private mails…… we could found out where you are living. Example: zip-code with PR …… it was in Puerto Rico !! So they are still analyzing before scanning and leave QD-airport, but it will be today !

Thanks again to all of you, you were really encouraging, from now we will focus on the second shipment after 4 days presence on the media fair in Qingdao (we already missed the first day).

Have a happy flight season.

Your faithful,

Renaat & Aileen

Thanks again for the update, Renaat.

I agree with you that a CP for the inspire will have limited use, as the wide FOV requires straight-line flying in order to not have strange things happening in the sky if panning. Still, it might be a limiting factor but would still be another tool in our quiver.

The idea of an ND2 or ND4 graduated filter with a soft transition, placed either 1/3 or 1/2 above center, is intriguing (this would require a set of 4 filters). This would solve to some degree the limited dynamic range of the Inspire sensor, allowing for us to expose more for the mid-range and shadows, without fear of blowing out the sky and clouds. Orientation would be easily done before launch, perhaps aided by an index mark for "top of filter." Most of us use the "rule of thirds" to put the sky in the top third of our frame, but every once in a while it may be useful to divide sky and land in half, depending on subject matter, so the top 1/3 and top 1/2 ND grads (in ND 2 and ND4 power) would be my recommendation.

A further idea, if such a solution is possible, would be to add an ND2 or ND4 gradation to an already darkened ND8 and ND16 filter, to allow proper shutter speed selection in bright conditions. That would be an awesome combination, if technically possible.

I hope you will bring my ideas to your manufacturer to decide on feasibility of making these graduated filters. It seems you have created a good relationship with this manufacturer that will result in a mutually beneficial business. Certainly, you deserve to be rewarded financially for your efforts. Best of luck, and if you happen to be in Shanghai during June or July, please get in touch with me at the hotel I mentioned in my private email to you (rbendjebar@........).

Reactions: Rainbowers
Thanks again for the update, Renaat.

I agree with you that a CP for the inspire will have limited use, as the wide FOV requires straight-line flying in order to not have strange things happening in the sky if panning. Still, it might be a limiting factor but would still be another tool in our quiver.

The idea of an ND2 or ND4 graduated filter with a soft transition, placed either 1/3 or 1/2 above center, is intriguing (this would require a set of 4 filters). This would solve to some degree the limited dynamic range of the Inspire sensor, allowing for us to expose more for the mid-range and shadows, without fear of blowing out the sky and clouds. Orientation would be easily done before launch, perhaps aided by an index mark for "top of filter." Most of us use the "rule of thirds" to put the sky in the top third of our frame, but every once in a while it may be useful to divide sky and land in half, depending on subject matter, so the top 1/3 and top 1/2 ND grads (in ND 2 and ND4 power) would be my recommendation.

A further idea, if such a solution is possible, would be to add an ND2 or ND4 gradation to an already darkened ND8 and ND16 filter, to allow proper shutter speed selection in bright conditions. That would be an awesome combination, if technically possible.

I hope you will bring my ideas to your manufacturer to decide on feasibility of making these graduated filters. It seems you have created a good relationship with this manufacturer that will result in a mutually beneficial business. Certainly, you deserve to be rewarded financially for your efforts. Best of luck, and if you happen to be in Shanghai during June or July, please get in touch with me at the hotel I mentioned in my private email to you (rbendjebar@........).
Now for most it is holiday, not for us, during 3 days in China. Graduated filters on an solid ND seems me technical possible. We like the challenge. After holidays, we will contact factory to prepare the new production previewed in the second shipment +/- Mai 20th and we will talk about. The only difficulty is making a choice of 1. gradation, 2. on which solid ND as we always need a production of minimum 100 pieces. So thinking making a new set at reasonable price (general use) and transport fee….

Reactions: Quadpilot
Now for most it is holiday, not for us, during 3 days in China. Graduated filters on an solid ND seems me technical possible. We like the challenge. After holidays, we will contact factory to prepare the new production previewed in the second shipment +/- Mai 20th and we will talk about. The only difficulty is making a choice of 1. gradation, 2. on which solid ND as we always need a production of minimum 100 pieces. So thinking making a new set at reasonable price (general use) and transport fee….

Great news, Renaat!

Upon reflection, I agree that in order to limit the number of possible combinations, an ND gradation of ND2 at 1/3 sky/ 2/3 land on a solid ND8 and ND16 would be the combination most frequently used and would only add two filters to the set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu