Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Finally, Inspire 1 firmware/video feed issues explored in depth...

I have seen there is no X5RAW firmware; do you think the PRO one is good?
Massimo

I'm sorry, Massimo. I don't understand the question. That said, I don't have an X5R camera. So I don't think I'd be able to answer your question. This thread is about the video feed issues with the Inspire's firmware updates, which I BELIEVE are independent of camera, because the Tx is in the bird, not the camera.

I hope this sort of answers your questions.

Regards,

Donnie

BTW, the only slight pain was the 500 meter range limit but it is easily turned off in the settings. A weird safety feature, why not just let us set a range limit as before. Now u have to completely switch range limit off.

I *believe* you have to downgrade the controller. BUT...that said, it is surely easy enough to test. If you would downgrade your bird first and report back your findings, that would be great!

Regards,

D
I will check it tomorrow and get back here.
Thanks.
Jan

BTW, the only slight pain was the 500 meter range limit but it is easily turned off in the settings. A weird safety feature, why not just let us set a range limit as before. Now u have to completely switch range limit off.

I turned that off a long time ago. I forgot that that even existed. So far I haven't had the need to hack past the 500m altitude limit. I honestly haven't had need to go much over 600'.

D

I will check it tomorrow and get back here.
Thanks.
Jan

Much appreciated. If I recall, Controller v1.6 will connect with bird v1.8 and 1.9, but I don't think it will connect with v1.10. Controller v1.7 won't connect with bird v1.8, but WILL connect with bird v1.9 and v1.10. You can easily confirm this as you roll back your bird from v1.10 to 1.9, and then to v1.8. Remember, you can only roll back 1 version at a time.

D

Watched your video & thank you as I have had similar issues with video feed on my Inspire Pro & X5 camera, just to help you next time, from what I have read the slave controller gets its signal from the master controller not the aircraft & when the update is completed the beeps/noises change form beep beep beep beep to beeeeeeeeep beep beep.

Through a couple of the roll backs, the beep pattern often didn't change. What I *could* count on was the log file. I allowed 25 minutes, but I think the update happens faster than that.

Regarding signal, I'm 90% sure both controllers are fed from the bird. This is easily tested by turning off the master controller. If video link is maintained, then it's safe to say video comes directly off the bird. Here some things I've observed.

1) Sometimes the slave controller reception was bad (with v1.10), even if the master was good. This happens even if we're standing right next to each other.
2) Reception is ALWAYS relative to distance between bird and controllers. If the slave were getting signal off the master, bird distance wouldn't matter.
3) Distance between controllers has almost no effect. When reception got bad in the slave controller, I migrated toward the master controller to no avail (see #1).
4) From a strictly engineering point of view, I see no reason to use a controller as a repeater. It would be much more efficient to use standard video/radio communication protocols, which are to have a single Tx with multiple receivers. And while I concede that repeaters ARE part of radio protocols, I see no reason to:
A) Spend extra money engineering repeater protocols into a receiver.
B) Further taxing the master controller's battery and processor with repeater duties.
C) Adding a repeater would add more RF interference to the RF environment, which would not only have to be engineered to not interfere with existing DJI peripherals, but would make it harder to comply with FCC regulations.
5) And finally, installing signal booster on the slave and pointing it at the bird helps the signal. Pointing the slave at the master does nothing.

With all this data, I'm 90% sure both controllers receive video signal directly from the bird.

It's honestly too bad that DJI doesn't just publish a document to outline their products' communication protocols.

Last edited:
My Inspire 1 Pro currently has version v1.11 installed and I'd like to rollback to version 1.8. I already have the bin file for WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.08.01.40. Unfortunately, I have to incrementally step back from v1.11 to 1.10 & 1.9 before getting to 1.8.
Can anyone send me the following files or point me to site hosting them?

WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.09.1.30.zip
WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.10.01.40.bin

The panorobot.com link only includes the Pro (not X5R) firmwares and does not include versions 1.09 or 1.10.

My Inspire 1 Pro currently has version v1.11 installed and I'd like to rollback to version 1.8. I already have the bin file for WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.08.01.40. Unfortunately, I have to incrementally step back from v1.11 to 1.10 & 1.9 before getting to 1.8.
Can anyone send me the following files or point me to site hosting them?

WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.09.1.30.zip
WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.10.01.40.bin

The panorobot.com link only includes the Pro (not X5R) firmwares and does not include versions 1.09 or 1.10.

The video Description section has the link and instructions to get those .bin files.

The video Description section has the link and instructions to get those .bin files.
Thanks for the quick reply Donnie! The video description does indeed include a link, however, it is only for the X3 versions, not the X5R which DJI no longer has posted on their site. I managed to find a Dutch forum that posted the X5R versions.
However, I am still unable to rollback from v1.11

I attempted to downgrade to v1.10 and received the following results message on my SDCard:
Packet: WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.10.01.40.bin
Result: Abort.
The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

Am I correct to assume that DJI no longer allows downgrading from v1.11 on the Inspire 1 Pro?

Thanks for the quick reply Donnie! The video description does indeed include a link, however, it is only for the X3 versions, not the X5R which DJI no longer has posted on their site.

I don't have an X5R, but I DO have an X5. I simply did the rollback with the X3 and then simply installed the X5 camera, which worked perfectly. Now, you and I both know that the X5R is a different animal with its own set of issues, so this may not work with the X5R. What I would do is simply do the roll back via your X3 camera, and then install and test the X5R. Worst case scenario, you would simply go back to the latest firmware.

I managed to find a Dutch forum that posted the X5R versions.
However, I am still unable to rollback from v1.11

Well....then there's that. LOTS of folks have the same complaint. You are the third person to come to me regarding 1.11 roll back futility. I contacted DJI regarding this issue, but they're useless. If you check the release notes, sans v1.11, every version tells you which version you can roll back to. Seems DJI MAY HAVE disabled FW roll back-ability with v1.11...which really sucks. I'm uber fortunate that my business partner took my advice and did NOT do the 1.11 update. I was able to roll back both his birds from v1.10. We now have 3 birds v1.08, and 5 controllers v1.6.

I attempted to downgrade to v1.10 and received the following results message on my SDCard:
Packet: WM610_FC550R_FW_V01.10.01.40.bin
Result: Abort.

Well....there is one last resort. There is a .bin file on the http://www.panorobot.com/dji/inspire_firmwares.htm site that may help. At the very bottom of the page download the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE. This is your "punt" file. I haven't used it yet...I'm saving it for a rainy day. Not only does DJI not publish any release notes on this file, they actually deny its existence. Unfortunately, you have to try it at your own risk. Personally, if I had an Inspire stuck on v1.11, I would try it.

The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

This may be the "back door" gs_ofdm.bin file I spoke of earlier.

Am I correct to assume that DJI no longer allows downgrading from v1.11 on the Inspire 1 Pro?

That is their PUBLIC position. I'd bet a year's salary that there is a way around this either via a hack or a back door file. Try the gs_ofdm.bin file and see if that works. Please report back your findings.

Best of luck!

This may be the "back door" gs_ofdm.bin file I spoke of earlier.

That is their PUBLIC position. I'd bet a year's salary that there is a way around this either via a hack or a back door file. Try the gs_ofdm.bin file and see if that works. Please report back your findings.

Best of luck!
Donnie,
Thanks again for the helpful information! I wish I had an X3 to attempt the rollback. It's frustrating the the SD slot is built into the camera, so there is no way to only update the Inspire craft without going through the camera.

Perhaps I can borrow someone else's X3 to perform the rollback.

Thanks for suggesting the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE gs_ofdm.bin. My understanding was this bin file is only for fixing bricked remote controllers (transmitters) not the actual Inspire itself. I was able to follow your Youtube instructions to downgrade my Remote to v1.6. That worked flawlessly on my iPad (not so much on my Android Tablet)

If you're sure that the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE works inside of the Inspire 1 itself I'm willing to give it a shot. Up until this point everything I saw seemed to suggest it was only for Remote Controls.

Thanks again! The Inspire updates this year are sooo frustrating. If I believed in conspiracy theories I would think DJI was trying to get it's customers to upgrade to the Inspire 2 and their Crystal Sky displayed.

Donnie,
Thanks again for the helpful information! I wish I had an X3 to attempt the rollback. It's frustrating the the SD slot is built into the camera, so there is no way to only update the Inspire craft without going through the camera.

Perhaps I can borrow someone else's X3 to perform the rollback.

Thanks for suggesting the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE gs_ofdm.bin. My understanding was this bin file is only for fixing bricked remote controllers (transmitters) not the actual Inspire itself. I was able to follow your Youtube instructions to downgrade my Remote to v1.6. That worked flawlessly on my iPad (not so much on my Android Tablet)

If you're sure that the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE works inside of the Inspire 1 itself I'm willing to give it a shot. Up until this point everything I saw seemed to suggest it was only for Remote Controls.

Thanks again! The Inspire updates this year are sooo frustrating. If I believed in conspiracy theories I would think DJI was trying to get it's customers to upgrade to the Inspire 2 and their Crystal Sky displayed.
Update on this. I loaded the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE gs_ofdm.bin onto a microSD and booted the Inspire X5R. Nothing changed to indicate it was loading a firmware. Shutdown, read the card in my MacBook and there was no text file Report generated on the card. It didn't appear to do anything to the Inspire 1 X5R running v1.11

Donnie, you're very fortunate that none of your birds were upgraded to this summer's disaster of a firmware.

Update on this. I loaded the DJI REMOTE SERVICE FILE gs_ofdm.bin onto a microSD and booted the Inspire X5R. Nothing changed to indicate it was loading a firmware. Shutdown, read the card in my MacBook and there was no text file Report generated on the card. It didn't appear to do anything to the Inspire 1 X5R running v1.11

That's really disheartening. I'm curious to know if the X5R can facilitate firmware changes via the MicroSD slot. My knee-jerk reaction would be to think, "Sure, why not?" But my analytical side wonders if the SSD somehow usurps the MicroSD slot - even if the SSD is not present. Just for grins, can you load the .bin file on the SSD and boot up that way??? Make sure to remove the MicroSD card.

Donnie, you're very fortunate that none of your birds were upgraded to this summer's disaster of a firmware.

Believe me, I hear ya and feel VERY fortunate. I just downgraded my business partner's bird from v1.9 to v1.8 (if you watch the video, I didn't have time to take it all the way back to v1.08.). I flew it out 3000' at 250' AGL with no signal boosters and didn't get a single dropped frame. We were just going to leave it at v1.09, but he discovered a bug in the GS Pro app that could only be explained by the mismatch of bird v1.09 and remote v1.6. After the distance test, I tested the GS Pro app on a 6 acre plot of land and it worked flawlessly. v1.08 is rock solid and **** DJI for ever changing it.

Lemme know if that SSD idea works.

Through a couple of the roll backs, the beep pattern often didn't change. What I *could* count on was the log file. I allowed 25 minutes, but I think the update happens faster than that.

Regarding signal, I'm 90% sure both controllers are fed from the bird. This is easily tested by turning off the master controller. If video link is maintained, then it's safe to say video comes directly off the bird. Here some things I've observed.

1) Sometimes the slave controller reception was bad (with v1.10), even if the master was good. This happens even if we're standing right next to each other.
2) Reception is ALWAYS relative to distance between bird and controllers. If the slave were getting signal off the master, bird distance wouldn't matter.
3) Distance between controllers has almost no effect. When reception got bad in the slave controller, I migrated toward the master controller to no avail (see #1).
4) From a strictly engineering point of view, I see no reason to use a controller as a repeater. It would be much more efficient to use standard video/radio communication protocols, which are to have a single Tx with multiple receivers. And while I concede that repeaters ARE part of radio protocols, I see no reason to:
A) Spend extra money engineering repeater protocols into a receiver.
B) Further taxing the master controller's battery and processor with repeater duties.
C) Adding a repeater would add more RF interference to the RF environment, which would not only have to be engineered to not interfere with existing DJI peripherals, but would make it harder to comply with FCC regulations.
5) And finally, installing signal booster on the slave and pointing it at the bird helps the signal. Pointing the slave at the master does nothing.

With all this data, I'm 90% sure both controllers receive video signal directly from the bird.

It's honestly too bad that DJI doesn't just publish a document to outline their products' communication protocols.

Regarding signal, when you set up your master controller you have to pair it to the aircraft (yes?)
When you set up you slave controller you pair it to the master controller (yes?)
When the slave is paired with the master it receives a link to control the camera & gimbal from the master, this link also gives the necessary information so the the video receiver in the slave can receive the video signal from the aircrat so the slave is never paired to the aircraft but does get to the video feed.

Image below from another topic in this forum (INSPIRE 1 How to set master and slave RC INSPIRE 1 How to set master and slave RC )

upload_2017-9-13_8-18-35.png

A quote from another topic...

Inspire 1 Pro-Dual Remote Controllers Mode - DJI Wiki
  • Remote controller cannot link to the aircraft if the remote controller is set as “Slave”. Meanwhile,the “Slave” remote controller cannot control the orientation of the aircraft. Reset the remote controller to “Master” in DJI GO app if you wish to link the remote controller to the aircraft.

Regarding signal, when you set up your master controller you have to pair it to the aircraft (yes?)
When you set up you slave controller you pair it to the master controller (yes?)
When the slave is paired with the master it receives a link to control the camera & gimbal from the master, this link also gives the necessary information so the the video receiver in the slave can receive the video signal from the aircrat so the slave is never paired to the aircraft but does get to the video feed.

Image below from another topic in this forum (INSPIRE 1 How to set master and slave RC INSPIRE 1 How to set master and slave RC )

View attachment 15777

Yep....agree with everything you asserted here. Through experimentation I have not only confirmed everything you purported here, but I'd like to add something important.

As you are aware, the master controller is in charge of video channel switching. As I'm sure you're also aware, there are 8 video channels. The master controller constantly searches for the best signal and then switches the bird *and* and slave controller to that channel. This is important to know, because, due to latency issues, this can cause problems.

My partner and I were test flying one of his birds that I had just taken back to FW v1.08. As expected, video feed in the master controller was excellent. We flew out 3000' @ 250' AGL with zero dropped frames. Unfortunately, the slave controller didn't do so well, experiencing dropped frames as early as 1000' out. Hmmm.... So I grabbed another controller, slaved it, and tried the flight again. Same issue. So I asked my partner to check out the video reception page in the Go App. He noted that there was a LOT of channel switching going on. Hmmmm.... So I told him to configure the video channel statically. This instantly cured the dropped frames. We tried this again with another bird and another set of controllers. Same result.

Conclusions:

1) The master controller decides which video channel is to be used.
2) The master controller transmits channel information to the bird and the slave controller.
3) Latency in channel switching will cause dropped frames in the slave controller.

I'm unsure of the channel switching signal path. Either the Master controller tells the slave which channel to use DIRECTLY. OR....the Master tells the bird, who then tells the slave. The latter would certainly cause more latency than the former.

The funny thing is that this dropped frame anomaly is VERY inconsistent. In some locations, the channel switching doesn't seem to cause dropped frames. I attribute this to environment RF effecting the frequency at which the master chooses and changes channels. Lots of RF and/or poor signal (due to signal attenuation from trees, buildings, etc.) = lots of switching. I've also noticed that, even in the same location, RF can change from day to day. We have been using the same test site for over a year. This is the first time we experienced this kind of dropped frames due to channel switching latency.

Worth noting: In the past were were able to minimize 2.4Ghz interference by turning off WiFi and BlueTooth in the iPads. However, on this day, turning these things off did nothing.

So, while your drawing is accurate, it is incomplete. Missing is the channel switching signal path TO the slave controller.

Thoughts?

I'm assume that the link that is between the Master & Slave is a data link that sends everything the slave needs to operate with the aircraft Not just gimbal & camera control link. Great work with the tests on channel switching, I have had the same problem with Slave video dropouts so I'll try the static channel setup. I have had a look at doing this but have never really seen a channel stable enough that I would use. I'm in no way a programmer or electronics engineer my thoughts are all based on my actual experiences I'm sure there are people out there that know exactly whats going on & have a giggle at my posts but hey thats how you learn.

I'm assume that the link that is between the Master & Slave is a data link that sends everything the slave needs to operate with the aircraft Not just gimbal & camera control link.

Agreed.

Great work with the tests on channel switching,

Thanx. DJI offers less-than-zero support. The dichotomy is that their products are very good. So...IF you can figure out how they work, they can be your best ally in the aerial game.

I have had the same problem with Slave video dropouts so I'll try the static channel setup. I have had a look at doing this but have never really seen a channel stable enough that I would use.

It is kind of strange how unstable all the channels are. If you just watch for 10 seconds, you can kind of see which ones are the least unstable. Honestly, we just picked one that stayed green for a few seconds and that one worked well.

I'm in no way a programmer or electronics engineer my thoughts are all based on my actual experiences...

Same here....kind of. I dabble in electronics and have an undergrad degree in Computer Science (programming), but those skill sets have little to do with figuring out how these **** drones function.

I'm sure there are people out there that know exactly whats going on & have a giggle at my posts but hey thats how you learn.

Hey....between the two of us fumbling about, we'll get it figured out. HA!

Reactions: Phatzo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElwoodLope