Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

good news

Well, it was a matter of time but not much in the line of details so...

I'm going to guess that you'll need at least a hexacopter to qualify.

Sooner or later there will be a rating for individual drone models to certify them for various tasks that demand greater redundancy etc than the average drone. So, I'd surmise that no quad will be certified for flight over non participants and that the FAA and other agencies around the world will list specific drone models/configurations as being qualified for such work.

Brian

Well, it was a matter of time but not much in the line of details so...

I'm going to guess that you'll need at least a hexacopter to qualify.

Sooner or later there will be a rating for individual drone models to certify them for various tasks that demand greater redundancy etc than the average drone. So, I'd surmise that no quad will be certified for flight over non participants and that the FAA and other agencies around the world will list specific drone models/configurations as being qualified for such work.

Brian
Perhaps, but as we have seen, predictions so early in the rule preparation process are generally more wrong than right. At least they are moving in the right direction.

Embry-Riddle published an interesting report on Human harm from falling Unmanned Aircraft. Their conclusion was that "Unmanned aircraft in excess of 1.5 KG should not be flown over a crowd of people at any density."
http://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1120&context=ijaaa

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
I'm not sure I see this as particularly good news. People's safety and privacy should always remain the highest priority. I wouldn't be surprised if the FAA are getting heavily leant on by the likes of Amazon.
Sure it might open up the doors of possibility when it comes to getting that perfect city shot etc but do you really want to live in a world where drones are constantly flying over head making deliveries, gathering news footage and doing general commercial work? The noise would be horrible and the more ubiquitous they become (the more accustomed to them people become) the easier it will be for people to use them for questionable means, regardless of regulation.

but do you really want to live in a world where drones are constantly flying over head making deliveries, gathering news footage and doing general commercial work?

That world is coming, including self driving and flying cars, using much of the same technology. Wether you like it or not. What do you suggest, go off planet?:p

I know it is and it scares me. To me a drone is a tool to do a job, and they should be strictly regulated as they are incredibly dangerous things both physically and ethically.
Unfortunately, as they have demonstrated throughout history, men have such a hard on for technology they lose themselves in a race to be the first to use it, push it, make the most money out of it, always at the expense of, well everything else.
But hey, when the cities fall and what woodland we have left burns at least we'll get some sweet shots of it right ;)

I know it is and it scares me. To me a drone is a tool to do a job, and they should be strictly regulated as they are incredibly dangerous things both physically and ethically.
Unfortunately, as they have demonstrated throughout history, men have such a hard on for technology they lose themselves in a race to be the first to use it, push it, make the most money out of it, always at the expense of, well everything else.
But hey, when the cities fall and what woodland we have left burns at least we'll get some sweet shots of it right ;)
You must be a lot of fun at parties. You do understand this is a pro-drone forum?

Hehe, of course. And I think drones are great, I'm a filmmaker first and foremost, I got my license to increase my skill set and unlock the potential for story telling that drones offer.
For the most part I'm just playing devil's advocate as I'm sure the majority of people on this forum are very "pro drone" as you put it. It's just good to consider a different perspective.
Sorry though, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with ethical concerns but I think this kind of discussion needs to happen amongst our community.
Am I the only one here who feels this way?!

Could be they approve those blimp things that some indoor sports arenas are already using over crowds. Ours has one as does Madison Square Garden that someone posted images on here a while back. Maybe tie a weather balloon to an Inspire?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo