Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help with video glitch

Hi Barry,

I think you are just overwhelming the capabilities of the codec at 4K 60 FPS with all pixels in motion. My guess is that if you were to film a more static shot with less pixels changing from frame to frame you would not see this issue. Is there a reason you are choosing 60 FPS?

I agree. I was shooting 4K 60 for smoother video. I agree it is likely the compression algorithm that is overwhelmed. Reasonable speaking, Im going to shoot 30 fps unless there is another answer.

Two questions:
Would the H265 codec make a difference? Im using H264 presently.
Has anyone else noticed this with this Inspire 2s and X4S Cameras?

You could try h.265 at 60 FPS but you still have the the data rate issue. Does Final Cut support h.265 now? You would want to check that. Still, your best bet is going to be lower frame rates for your highest quality video with the least relative compression. Almost every major studio film has been produced at 24 or 25 FPS. 30 FPS (29.97) is the norm for video here. You are sacrficing a lot to use 60 FPS. Unless you have an absolute reason for shooting 60 FPS (while you are data limited to 100 MPS) I would avoid it.

Don't shoot at 60fps for smoother motion. you should only use 60 fps if you want to slow the video down without it starting to flicker.

At 60 fps you're going to get that 'soap opera effect which isn't very appealing. plus it wimds up making the video less compatible with devices.

that whole idea of more fps = smoother motion comes from gaming where it DOES make for smoother and clearer.

In the video world though you actually don't want that unless you're filming sports.

Don't shoot at 60fps for smoother motion. you should only use 60 fps if you want to slow the video down without it starting to flicker.

At 60 fps you're going to get that 'soap opera effect which isn't very appealing. plus it wimds up making the video less compatible with devices.

that whole idea of more fps = smoother motion comes from gaming where it DOES make for smoother and clearer.

In the video world though you actually don't want that unless you're filming sports.
Wrong, any footage can be reinterpreted to a different framerate by most pro level programs.

For example, I shoot 4k60 so I can zoom, stabilize the focus point, and overall get a wider shot (like most big productions).

What do you think the 5+k thing is about? Overshooting is a standard, same with shooting 60 or above and bringing it back down.

Also, H.265 is a transport codec, not an editing codec... while some programs have adopted it, I still convert it to prores in DaVinci prior to editing, as it is similar to the bandwidth of H.265.

Wrong, any footage can be reinterpreted to a different framerate by most pro level programs.

For example, I shoot 4k60 so I can zoom, stabilize the focus point, and overall get a wider shot (like most big productions).

What do you think the 5+k thing is about? Overshooting is a standard, same with shooting 60 or above and bringing it back down.

Also, H.265 is a transport codec, not an editing codec... while some programs have adopted it, I still convert it to prores in DaVinci prior to editing, as it is similar to the bandwidth of H.265.

Uh, 1st, I didn't Say not to shoot in 4k. 2nd, you're wrong, but keep doing what you're doing I'm sure your stuff looks awesome (even is you think you know what you're doing)

same with shooting 60 or above and bringing it back down.

Hi Thatius,

Do I understand that you are shooting at 60 FPS so that you can reduce to a slower frame rate in post (ie 30, 24) for realtime playback (not slow playback)? If so, what is your goal in doing so?

Last edited:
Hi Thatius,

Do I understand that you are shooting at 60 FPS so that you can reduce to a slower frame rate in post (ie 30, 24) for realtime playback (not slow playback)? If so, what is your goal in doing so?
Yes... you never know when you want to slow something down and you can take video and pull better still frames out.

Yes... you never know when you want to slow something down and you can take video and pull better still frames out.

Hi Thatius,

The downside of 60 FPS is that you cut the available bandwidth per frame in half (for 30 FPS) in an already data limited situation. This greatly reduces the image quality. If you then set playback in your NLE for realtime 30 FPS, you are simply throwing away half of the frames. The stills that you pull from 60 FPS will also be lower quality and 30 FPS should be more than ample for stills as it more than doubles the fastest pro DSLR's Burst rate for stills.

In terms of possibly wanting to slow something down that is a solid reason for shooting at 60FPS but it should be recognized that at the 100 Mbps offered by the X4s this does come with a significant quality loss at 4K so I would not suggest shooting all of your footage at 60 FPS, but rather doing so selectively.

Still no answer.... go back to making youtube videos bruh.

Shooting wide and cropping has been a standard of motion pictures for a while... try to tell me otherwise again.

I think you may be confusing resolution with frame rate. Shooting at higher resolutions certainly offers the option to downsample or to apply the motion effects in post that you have mentioned. This does not however change what has been said about frame rate.

Before making an even bigger fool of yourself, please read my original reply to the OP, and my reply to yours again.

I am, and have been talking about frame rate not resolution, which you are wrong about.... bruh, or should I say Troll?

Hi Thatius,

The downside of 60 FPS is that you cut the available bandwidth per frame in half (for 30 FPS) in an already data limited situation. This greatly reduces the image quality. If you then set playback in your NLE for realtime 30 FPS, you are simply throwing away half of the frames. The stills that you pull from 60 FPS will also be lower quality and 30 FPS should be more than ample for stills as it more than doubles the fastest pro DSLR's Burst rate for stills.

In terms of possibly wanting to slow something down that is a solid reason for shooting at 60FPS but it should be recognized that at the 100 Mbps offered by the X4s this does come with a significant quality loss at 4K so I would not suggest shooting all of your footage at 60 FPS, but rather doing so selectively.
I guess that's true for the SD, not the SSD however, and technically we were talking H.264/5...

Before making an even bigger fool of yourself, please read my original reply to the OP, and my reply to yours again.

I am, and have been talking about frame rate not resolution, which you are wrong about.... bruh, or should I say Troll?
You should take your own advice, I mentioned why I shoot in BOTH 4k and 60fps.

Hi Thatius,

EXACTLY. Thank you for putting that in a clear way that some people can understand.

I guess that's true for the SD, not the SSD however, and technically we were talking H.264/5...

Hi Thatius,

h.264 and h.265 only record to the SD, regardless of if you have the SSD or not. The OP's post was about the X4S, so the SSD would not be an option for him. Recording to the SSD is only an option on the X5S and it only records Prores or DNG (not h.264 or h.265). The only options right now for shooting at 60 FPS using h.264 and h.265 have a data limit of 100 Mbps on both cameras. For those two codecs I would suggest using 60FPS only for slow motion and very sparingly.

For the X5S you do have the option to shoot Cinema DNG at 4K 60 FPS, but this also gets reduced from 12 bit at 30 FPS to 10 bit at 60 FPS. In every situation a higher frame rate has a a higher data requirement.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lily212