Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I was threatened with a lawsuit today..

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So today I pulled into a development area of about 12 homes scattered over approximately 20-30 acres. One or two occupied by homeowners the rest in various forms of construction. I pulled to the back of an unoccupied culdesac, parked and started prepping my drone for flight.

Let it be known, I was not hired or contracted to do any work in the neighborhood. I was there to practice and maybe get some promo footage.

As I was completing my preflight checks a vehicle pulled up and an elderly lady commented on my drone as being one of those fancy ones. She went on asking questions which I could then start sniffing out here intentions of the conversation. Long story short she ended the conversation saying she better not see any of her homes on my website or YouTube channel or she would file a lawsuit against me.

To be fully honest I was trying to get some promo shots for marketing, but have now decided not to do so. My question is, has anyone else had this happen to them and how did they react?

It’s not illegal to see home pictures taken from the air. That’s a baseless lawsuit. People being scared is what it is.

If I wasn’t hung up on an area or a particular “mission” there, I would follow her request and move on. But if that wasn’t the case, tough.

If they got pushy, you could call the law in. If you were being paid for a gig, I would’ve politely told her the scenario and it’s not illegal before calling the law. They can’t stop you from making a legal dollar because they’re afraid their choice of paint color on their mailbox doesn’t match the shutters on the house.

I've received similar threats and I just listen to them talk and tell them to feel free to seek remedy as legally fit. This usually shuts them up. I also make sure to stop when they are there and take pictures of them, their vehicle and license plate number. This usually hurries them on their way. When I fly I do wear a yellow vest and a lanyard with my 107. Stay clam, don't escalate but, don't yield unless you feel there is risk of personal safety. I've also had people tell me they were going to shoot it down and I let them know that's a felony. It's tricky out there and I've found if I satisfy their curiosity it usually diffuses their issues.

Thanks for all the responses. At first, I thought this is unreal coming from a sweet southern woman.... I didn't feel threatened at all just by who it was, but if that were one of the contract guys coming at me it may have been a different feeling. I live by "seek peace and pursue it" and am not looking to confront anyone, but I'm not going to be scared off by the "L" word if I'm not in the wrong. What I do worry about is how some judges perceive the law or downright disregard them.

I spent months photographing down in New Orleans post Katrina. The law was as long as I was on the street or sidewalk I was fine, the line not to cross was 7' from the curb, beyond that was private property. Unless I was invited onto the property by the homeowner I remained in the street, and respected the wishes of people who requested that I didn't photograph their property. To those people I explained that I too lost my home and was documenting the devastation. 100% of the time they came around after a few minutes of talking.
An idea might be to keep on your device a cleaned up residential view, show them some work then offer to share w them views of their homes (watermarked). If they're just closed minded and defensive either pack up and move on, their loss, or go by the book, log in w the nearest airport and abide by all FAA regulations.

If you think about it, you could take photos from your cell phone from the sidewalk or street and that is perfectly legal because it is public property. Once put the camera on a Drone, suddenly there are "lawsuits" I was on a paid promotion of an apartment complex and a lady who was walking her dog stopped emphatically questioned "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" I was being paid by the apartment complex to take footage so they could sell the property, but some people feel very threatened. It is OK to say, I am here on a legal basis, but I try not to escalate things. But you will run into that once in a while.

There is some case law to support that if you are filming from a public area (like the street) there is no "right to privacy" - but I found it is not usually valuable trying to sort this out when the person is upset.

Citing the fact that nobody seems to care that Google Earth and Google street view already have their homes/residences/locals well documented, the arguments are baseless.
That was my thinking and what I would say should someone approach me like that. Furthermore, if you decide to pack up and not finish the shoot then those very people feel they won or think their suspicions of you might be correct. There is no presumption of privacy when you step outside because of Google maps

I've received similar threats and I just listen to them talk and tell them to feel free to seek remedy as legally fit. This usually shuts them up. I also make sure to stop when they are there and take pictures of them, their vehicle and license plate number. This usually hurries them on their way. When I fly I do wear a yellow vest and a lanyard with my 107. Stay clam, don't escalate but, don't yield unless you feel there is risk of personal safety. I've also had people tell me they were going to shoot it down and I let them know that's a felony. It's tricky out there and I've found if I satisfy their curiosity it usually diffuses their issues.
I agree with all you say except keeping your certificate on a lanyard. No one has authorization to see that except an LEO. But I understand your wish to make a "authorized" first impression.

I look unofficial as all get out when I shoot. The more you look official the more attention you seem to grab. I'm very antisocial and hate talking to people on site with all my money sitting around. It never fails the "how much did that cost" questions really bother me for some reason.....

Reactions: HydroneMantis
You don't have to show anyone anything to fly where it's legal to fly. If you registered your unit with the FAA and have it marked you're like any other aircraft.

I look unofficial as all get out when I shoot. The more you look official the more attention you seem to grab. I'm very antisocial and hate talking to people on site with all my money sitting around. It never fails the "how much did that cost" questions really bother me for some reason.....

I am exactly the same. My anti social issues actually prevent me from flying as much as I would like to. I usually find remote locations or stealth areas to launch from where I cannot be seen. I don't bring my drone near any people and keep it as high as possible around people. Even with this I have had issues.

I attempted to fly at a public park and was confronted by an ignorant and aggressive parent who accused me of filming their kids as some sort of recon work for sick ideas.

I attempted to fly a lot on the back lot of my apartment complex. It is huge with a really nice pond and wild life area. The complex gave me permission to fly there whenever I want as long as I don't fly low and bring the drone near the resident buildings (so I don't create noise or disturbance complaints). However, at least half the time I fly there, I still get confronted by residents telling me I am not allowed to fly there, or they don't give me "permission" to fly claiming I need their permission. they will even tell me they just talked to the complex and security is on the way. Whenever I state the complex has given me permission I usually get told to go F myself in various different ways.

It really is amazing how people are so afraid of drones. A friend of mine spotted one flying NEAR his property. Not over it or low, and he has been going none stop about how we need strict drone laws and how he has the right to shoot any drone down because they are spying on his wife and kids. It took me weeks of explaining laws to him and showing him my drone to settle him down to the point where now he suddenly is interested in getting one.

I also find it hilarious here in the US that the same people I talk to who want strict drone laws also oppose any type of gun legislation at all.

Last edited:
I think the public freaks out because in their mind they feel that their privacy is becoming less everyday. Old folks for instance are not use to technology they are not as open minded as a young person. It takes time for people to embrace change.

So today I pulled into a development area of about 12 homes scattered over approximately 20-30 acres. One or two occupied by homeowners the rest in various forms of construction. I pulled to the back of an unoccupied culdesac, parked and started prepping my drone for flight.

Let it be known, I was not hired or contracted to do any work in the neighborhood. I was there to practice and maybe get some promo footage.

As I was completing my preflight checks a vehicle pulled up and an elderly lady commented on my drone as being one of those fancy ones. She went on asking questions which I could then start sniffing out here intentions of the conversation. Long story short she ended the conversation saying she better not see any of her homes on my website or YouTube channel or she would file a lawsuit against me.

To be fully honest I was trying to get some promo shots for marketing, but have now decided not to do so. My question is, has anyone else had this happen to them and how did they react?

Where one of them dayglow green or orange constructions vests and nobody will bother you. It works like a charm. Try it out.

I think the public freaks out because in their mind they feel that their privacy is becoming less everyday. Old folks for instance are not use to technology they are not as open minded as a young person. It takes time for people to embrace change.
True wasted technology when people freak out over a drone. Have you guys seen that south park episode where drones take over the town ? lol

The best part is now most cars have dash cams, EVERYONE has a cell phone with a camera, so a drone flying around is literally the least of your worries.

The next step is telling people to close their eyes as they travel on sidewalks just "IN CASE" they invade your privacy as they turn their head.

I wouldn’t wear my 107, it’s none of their business nor do they have the right to ask to see your pilots license just like they do not have the right to ask for a drivers license. I shoot real estate and run into this constantly, if asked I say I’m a license pilot. If asked I tell them I’m hired by the real Estate agent. But that’s all I volunteer. I might through in that the FAA regulates airspace from an inch off the ground to outer space and if they still have issues we can all the police now.

If at all possible, I like to be pro-active, and if there is anyone paying attention to you in a neighborhood, I invite them over to see the cool views. I then explain everything I am doing, and then tell them that great aerial photos enhance the property value for sales, then everyone is happy. They usually are pretty cool after that.

I am now pleased that I live in Sweden when we have got new laws since February 1. Have been forbidden to photograph with drones for a year here.
Today you do not need license to fly either privately or commercially, but you need insurance on commercial flights.

Actually, the only thing about people and their property that we need to keep up with, is that you shall not fly or photograph in an abusive manner.
If any are nude-sunbathing in their backyard, you do retouching and remove the person before the photo is spread.. e.g. and you do not fly closer and violate the person.

The only downside we have is that if pictures or movies are to be posted online or to spread, they must be submitted to the authority for review before. It takes 2-3 days to get answers from them.
It may be a threat to the security of the nation otherwise ... :) Think any nations have enough satellite images to get their information anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour