Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 (original) distance??

Reaction score
How far can original Inspire 1 fly? I get 1600 ft. then runout of signal, well within los. I have maxed out my settings in the controller and have new T-48 batteries... any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've done over a mile more than once. last attempt was around 7000' but I launched with 80% on a less than perfect battery and it returned home on me right before I reached my destination. I'm sure it's perfectly capable of a bit more, but you'd be pushing it. Keep in mind Inspire is a big and heavy bird and it carries old tech, Not the kind of bird you want out of LOS for long at all, Even though 7000' was just short of my objective I was feeling a little uneasy at that distance. I was however over water so chances of hurting someone were minimum, though my objective was a sandbar where many boats come together every weekend, My plan was to orbit them and come back, again making sure I wasn't flying over the crowd.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Understand. However the maximum flight I can set in the controller is 1600 ft. I can visually see my phantom at 2200 before I need to bring it back home due to los. The controller settings prohibit me from flying any further,

Understand. However the maximum flight I can set in the controller is 1600 ft. I can visually see my phantom at 2200 before I need to bring it back home due to los. The controller settings prohibit me from flying any further,
Then do not enter an amount in the distance field and you will be limited only by the RF propagation and the rules governing flight distance in your country.
Covered previously on the forum in other threads.

My video is great. The distance is not good. I cant fly any further than 1600 ft with out losing signal. I cant set the distance to 0 it will than default to 500 M. The controller only has a max value of 500m

Awesome, just flew it out 2200 ft, (former max 1600 ft.) still in los!!! grateful! Thank you sir!!!!

Regardless of your stance on rules, just to be clear, LOS does not mean you can see a dot in the sky, you have to be able to discern what direction the drone is facing etc and if you have to take your eyes off it, you can find it again quickly. This is so you're able to control it manually should automated systems fail. So if you're trying to follow the rules, you're not. Just an FYI. And I've found that going much past 1600 to 1800 ft. is about the limit of LOS.

Having said that, I don't believe LOS rules should apply over open water or in unpopulated areas because if you lose control, the only person that cares is the owner. I highly doubt you'd get reported, or anyone would enforce LOS rules in that situation.

Reactions: gregg Kielma
Regardless of your stance on rules, just to be clear, LOS does not mean you can see a dot in the sky, you have to be able to discern what direction the drone is facing etc and if you have to take your eyes off it, you can find it again quickly. This is so you're able to control it manually should automated systems fail. So if you're trying to follow the rules, you're not. Just an FYI. And I've found that going much past 1600 to 1800 ft. is about the limit of LOS.

Having said that, I don't believe LOS rules should apply over open water or in unpopulated areas because if you lose control, the only person that cares is the owner. I highly doubt you'd get reported, or anyone would enforce LOS rules in that situation.
I'm good for 2200' los. I fly a reciprocal flight, straight out and back. However you are correct, You cant take your eye off the machine or you lose it. I'm good at 1600' and can still control my aircraft. Thank you for the insight.

If I wanted to I could fly well over 1,600' but I have trouble seeing the drone that far and, frankly, I've needed to go that far to get the shots I want. However, I generally loose the video signal after 1,000 or so. It doesn't totally disappear but it goes in an out and sometimes disappears altogether until I turn around and head back to my position.

Reactions: gregg Kielma

My partner and I can map 2,000 acres in about a week. If we were forced to maintain VLOS, that same parcel would take 6 weeks.

I don't get the whole VLOS thing. We get telemetry. So we know where the drone is and what it is doing. What's the difference between WATCHING your drone fall from the sky, or seeing it happen in telemetry? Honestly, I think the latter is better. At least with telemetry I can:

1) See the area in Google Maps.
2) Extrapolate the drone's last known location.

I come out of the Gasser Helicopter / Phantom 1 era. Believe me, I'll take telemetry over VLOS ANY day.

Plan your flights and fly your plan. Live by the 6 P's (Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance). Just because there are guys out there too stupid to fly their drone without crashing it into a building (for the love of god) doesn't mean we're ALL that stupid. Let's not make legislation based on the lowest common denominator. Instead, let's simply punish the LCD and let the conscientious UAV pilots fly professionally and safely as we have for 3 decades. I won't say I never crashed, but I WILL say with 100% confidence that I never hurt anybody or caused any property damage. This is NOT dumb luck.

VLOS has its place (in film, for instance). But for aerial mapping, VLOS is a pipe dream. I routinely send my drone out over a mile....and even farther for corridor mapping. There's no way I could be cost or time-effective if I could only go out 2,000'.

As you were.

D

Last edited:
My partner and I can map 2,000 acres in about a week. If we were forced to maintain VLOS, that same parcel would take 6 weeks.

I don't get the whole VLOS thing. We get telemetry. So we know where the drone is and what it is doing. What's the difference between WATCHING your drone fall from the sky, or seeing it happen in telemetry? Honestly, I think the latter is better. At least with telemetry I can:

1) See the area in Google Maps.
2) Extrapolate the drone's last known location.

I come out of the Gasser Helicopter / Phantom 1 era. Believe me, I'll take telemetry over VLOS ANY day.

Plan your flights and fly your plan. Live by the 6 P's (Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance). Just because there are guys out there too stupid to fly their drone without crashing it into a building (for the love of god) doesn't mean we're ALL that stupid. Let's not make legislation based on the lowest common denominator. Instead, let's simply punish the LCD and let the conscientious UAV pilots fly professionally and safely as we have for 3 decades. I won't say I never crashed, but I WILL say with 100% confidence that I never hurt anybody or caused any property damage. This is NOT dumb luck.

VLOS has its place (in film, for instance). But for aerial mapping, VLOS is a pipe dream. I routinely send my drone out over a mile....and even farther for corridor mapping. There's no way I could be cost or time-effective if I could only go out 2,000'.

As you were.

D
I really enjohy flying all my aircrafts.... Thank hyopu for the insight. Just flew my inspire 1 out 2500" and had complete line of sight.... it is a very clear day and I had my eye on it the whole time.... altitude was 300'... no problems

I managed 2 miles while chasing feeder lines for the power company. positioned 35ft above the tower max height. BVLOS approved for Hurricane recovery inspections. Inspire 1 is a great machine for this job. Prepping two of them now.IMG_3534.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Frank
I managed 2 miles while chasing feeder lines for the power company. positioned 35ft above the tower max height. BVLOS approved for Hurricane recovery inspections. Inspire 1 is a great machine for this job. Prepping two of them now.View attachment 26490
I would think the P4P, with better GPS, better camera and longer fly time would be better for power line inspections. I own and Inspire 1 and still love it. But if I had to fly out 2 miles, I think I would use the P4P.

Thoughts?

D

I still have my first I1 and I trust it. Mostly because I have to fly it, not some program. I have been out 2 miles filming sail boat races. Needless to say I was over the water. About 70% of my work is over water. I also shoot for brokers showing their boats at speed and performing maneuvers. It has even gotten wet from wake spray and had to return because the camera got water spots on the lens. It is my "Go To" work horse. I have even gotten into air to air combat with a couple of Ospreys and Sea Gulls. Now that was fun!!!!!!! How ever I have been flying rc since 1982 and before that the string "you fly" planes. Yes I go way back. Oh yea did I mention that I was in Navel Aviation? P3 Orions sub hunting. I have over 172.75hrs stick time. Sometimes the pilots would let you get some "stick time" while on our way to the station. Once on station my fun was over?. Twice with nuc tipped Harpoons.
Now back to our show. I too have recently had problems with getting out over 1600' I call the dji support line and waisted a good deal of time with their rude, uncaring "techs". I am looking to get another drone but I can't find one that can do what the I2 or m210rtk can do. I loath dji. Not real fond of the "moderators" either. I will keep my First love and will continue to fly it for as long as possible. I have tryed the others with all their gimics and they're cute and just fine for fun flying but when I go to work I take my tools not my toys. LONG LIVE THE INSPIRE 1 !!!!!!!!!!

I still have my first I1 and I trust it. Mostly because I have to fly it, not some program. I have been out 2 miles filming sail boat races. Needless to say I was over the water. About 70% of my work is over water. I also shoot for brokers showing their boats at speed and performing maneuvers. It has even gotten wet from wake spray and had to return because the camera got water spots on the lens. It is my "Go To" work horse. I have even gotten into air to air combat with a couple of Ospreys and Sea Gulls. Now that was fun!!!!!!! How ever I have been flying rc since 1982 and before that the string "you fly" planes. Yes I go way back. Oh yea did I mention that I was in Navel Aviation? P3 Orions sub hunting. I have over 172.75hrs stick time. Sometimes the pilots would let you get some "stick time" while on our way to the station. Once on station my fun was over?. Twice with nuc tipped Harpoons.
Now back to our show. I too have recently had problems with getting out over 1600' I call the dji support line and waisted a good deal of time with their rude, uncaring "techs". I am looking to get another drone but I can't find one that can do what the I2 or m210rtk can do. I loath dji. Not real fond of the "moderators" either. I will keep my First love and will continue to fly it for as long as possible. I have tryed the others with all their gimics and they're cute and just fine for fun flying but when I go to work I take my tools not my toys. LONG LIVE THE INSPIRE 1 !!!!!!!!!!

You'll get no argument about the Inspire 1 being a work horse. I still fly mine twice a month for a construction client and that's probably going to double in the next couple months.

I'm still using the legacy firmware 1.08.xx.xx and legacy Go App 3.1.1. The thing never lets me down.

D

Reactions: Flying Monkey
You'll get no argument about the Inspire 1 being a work horse. I still fly mine twice a month for a construction client and that's probably going to double in the next couple months.

I'm still using the legacy firmware 1.08.xx.xx and legacy Go App 3.1.1. The thing never lets me down.

D
Yes that legacy firmware is the key. Every firmware up date after that would dummy up the drone. It also became so much slower I went out and bought new motors and installed them with little or no change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineL