Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Point of Interest* and Waypoint* and *Coming soon ?

Reaction score
When the Inspire 2 was launched in November 2016, DJI advertised on the web site (and still do) the following:

"In addition to Spotlight Pro, a range of other intelligent flight and shooting modes are available. Obstacle avoidance is optimized when using Point of Interest* and Waypoint* modes, making complex shots simple and repeatable. Also available are QuickSpin, TapFly and ActiveTrack, to simplify challenging shots. *Coming soon."

Is the passing of 13 months compatible with the use of the word "soon" :)
Is there any date when these missing features will be added?

Reactions: droneseyeview
To be effective you should post this request on the official DJI forum, which is monitored by DJI staff. I have, and I’m sure the more complaints they see about the missing POI capability the more likely they are to put some effort into completing it.

To be effective you should post this request on the official DJI forum, which is monitored by DJI staff. I have, and I’m sure the more complaints they see about the missing POI capability the more likely they are to put some effort into completing it.

Thanks for your reply, I have done it.

Can 3rd party apps not do POI? Like Autopilot. Spec says the I2 is compatible.

Yes, Autopilot’s Target mode will provide a POI mode but using it will mean either:

A switching apps mid-flight or

B landing to change app or

C putting up with the poor camera interface of Autopilot for what are predominately manually flow missions.

The I1 had POI mode, we were promised POI when we purchased the I2, so why should we have to use an inferior workaround?

It’s time we all got onto the DJI forum to make our voices heard.

[emoji3]

Do a search on the forum... you should find some info on how to get around the lack of POI using Spotlight Pro.

Spotlight Pro has it’s uses but simply can’t achieve a smooth full 360° POI shot.

Spotlight Pro has it’s uses but simply can’t achieve a smooth full 360° POI shot.
I fully agree, but it's a way to get a semblance of the job done if you've nowt else to hand. Litchi will do POI quite happily with the I2, and I think iirc you can setup an orbit in ground station too. I've not played with autopilot yet.

From what I've seen on the Dji forum, their I2 Forum mods are fed up of passing on the requests for poi to engineering. Seems engineering aren't listening... must be bored with simple stuff like poi and want to play with nice shiney new ideas like X7, EI mode, colour profiles etc. POI is soooooo yesterday's technology ;) :D

I fully agree, but it's a way to get a semblance of the job done if you've nowt else to hand. Litchi will do POI quite happily with the I2, and I think iirc you can setup an orbit in ground station too. I've not played with autopilot yet.

From what I've seen on the Dji forum, their I2 Forum mods are fed up of passing on the requests for poi to engineering. Seems engineering aren't listening... must be bored with simple stuff like poi and want to play with nice shiney new ideas like X7, EI mode, colour profiles etc. POI is soooooo yesterday's technology ;) :D
Lets not forget breadcrumbs..........Where GPS points are recorded at very short intervals and cached. Then if RTH is triggered the aircraft will follow the same path home as it took out.
That's 'coming soon'...... :cool:

Lets not forget breadcrumbs..........Where GPS points are recorded at very short intervals and cached. Then if RTH is triggered the aircraft will follow the same path home as it took out.
See, I told you... Mr Soon is a very busy man and has bigger and better problems to code than a mere POI function... ;)

...now you mention it, I thought he'd added that a firmware or so back? Or was it just improved obstacle avoidance during RTH?

I use Litchi exclusively for POI and it works great with my I2

I haven’t tried Litchi yet as I’ve been put off by, what seems to be, a lot of people experiencing fly-aways.

Whilst Autopilot is very reliable and excellent for automated flight control, the camera controls are poor (no histogram, difficult to change settings, etc) and it lacks essentials such as battery voltage display, control of RTH actions, etc.

Does Litchi offer better ‘live’ control of camera settings, histogram, exposure, battery voltage, etc?

DJI's reply on the official forum is that "DJI GS Pro" is available for the iPad and provides the functionality of "tap and go" Waypoints.

Last time I looked at GS Pro (shortly after its launch) it didn’t impress me at all but maybe they have managed to file off its rough edges more recently?

I can understand that the DJI official response is to use "DJI GS Pro". The implication is that I need to buy an iPad instead of continuing to use my two Android tablets. Before I splash out on an iPad, please could anyone using "DJI GS Pro" please input to this thread ... what is your opinion of it versus say Litchi or any other alternative App that you use for offline planning your video shoot?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElwoodLope