Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Hello,

I've just purchased an Inspire 2 but I'm still on the fence about what tablet to get for it. After reading many forum posts it seems like the DJI app works better on Apple products? Does everyone here agree? I've always been an Windows/Android guy but want to make sure I have the best experience with the Inspire 2.

If Apple is the way to go then I'm thinking it's between the iPad mini 4 or the iPad Air 2. Anyone have thoughts about form factor on the controller? Air 2 too big? Mini 4 too small?

Last question do I need GPS in the tablet? I'd rather just get a WiFi model than have to get the LTE version.

If I purchase the GPS Module for Remote Controller does that take the place of needing GPS in the tablet?

Thanks!

Good question! I faced the exact dilemma and here are my experiences. Got my I2 about a week ago and went out and bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7. It worked ok but not consistent and reliable. After some more research I just bought the I-Pad 9.7 pro and it has worked flawlessly. It has WiFi but no GPS. Not needed. Also, there is a 3rd party app called AutoPilot that only works with I-Pad and it allows you to plan way points, etc etc etc. My advice, go Apple. The DJI Go 4 app seems more mature when based on an IOS system.

In general, I think you'll find the Apple products to be a bit more stable than the Android OS. Not that the Android is bad, the issue is that there are hundreds of various devices that run on Android. This makes for a developers "nightmare" when it comes to testing a new app, thus why you're seeing Apps like DJI's new app along with others coming to IOS first

Good question! I faced the exact dilemma and here are my experiences. Got my I2 about a week ago and went out and bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7. It worked ok but not consistent and reliable. After some more research I just bought the I-Pad 9.7 pro and it has worked flawlessly. It has WiFi but no GPS. Not needed. Also, there is a 3rd party app called AutoPilot that only works with I-Pad and it allows you to plan way points, etc etc etc. My advice, go Apple. The DJI Go 4 app seems more mature when based on an IOS system.

+1 9.7 Pro - better visibility outside as well

Hello,

I've just purchased an Inspire 2 but I'm still on the fence about what tablet to get for it. After reading many forum posts it seems like the DJI app works better on Apple products? Does everyone here agree? I've always been an Windows/Android guy but want to make sure I have the best experience with the Inspire 2.

If Apple is the way to go then I'm thinking it's between the iPad mini 4 or the iPad Air 2. Anyone have thoughts about form factor on the controller? Air 2 too big? Mini 4 too small?

Last question do I need GPS in the tablet? I'd rather just get a WiFi model than have to get the LTE version.

If I purchase the GPS Module for Remote Controller does that take the place of needing GPS in the tablet?

Thanks!

I have mini 4 and pro. pro is the best.

Do not use androids. I tried

I had the Galaxy S2 and it was never able to connect to app. Apple products connect 100% of time

Reactions: Viper Pilot
My Ipad mini 2 has always worked for me. Used a Samsung galaxy before it and had glitches constantly. IOS seems the most compatible to DJI products.

When you say the GPS in the ipad is not needed, is that just in your case or in general? I was under the assumption that if you wanted to use features like dynamic RTH it was needed.

When you say the GPS in the ipad is not needed, is that just in your case or in general? I was under the assumption that if you wanted to use features like dynamic RTH it was needed.

Yeah I can't seem to get a straight answer on this question. I'd rather just purchase the $30 gps accessory for the I2 remote than have to get a GPS/Cellular version of an iPad.

Thanks to everyone chiming in about tablet choices. I probably wont start with an iPad pro but I am leaning towards an Air 2 I found on craigslist but it only has WiFi. I can hotspot my phone for map data to the iPad but want to know if GPS in the tablet really makes a difference. Looking at DJI's website the GPS accessory seems to take care of the lack of GPS issue?

Yeah I can't seem to get a straight answer on this question. I'd rather just purchase the $30 gps accessory for the I2 remote than have to get a GPS/Cellular version of an iPad.

Thanks to everyone chiming in about tablet choices. I probably wont start with an iPad pro but I am leaning towards an Air 2 I found on craigslist but it only has WiFi. I can hotspot my phone for map data to the iPad but want to know if GPS in the tablet really makes a difference. Looking at DJI's website the GPS accessory seems to take care of the lack of GPS issue?

Yes, the GPS controller accessory will make dynamic RTH feature available. Do you live near an iStore? I would go in on a sunny day and ask if you can look at the screens outdoors as that is the most important.

Ok cool. I wasn't sure if the GPS accessory communicated with the app. I should really make the time to get into an apple store and check em out in person.

Personally I have only used the iPad Air 2 and mini 4 (I usually have both with me when I fly and use the mini as a back up) with my I1 and I2. My reason for posting, is the issue of having GPS capability in the tablet. I experimented around this issue with my I1 and concluded that the RC DOES NOT get any GPS fix or GPS co-ordinates from the tablet. The RC has its own GPS device. I was able to confirm from DJI Technical support that the RC does not obtain GPS info from the tablet. Therefore save yourself some money. Autopilot does use the tablet for GPS location in some of its features. RTH works on the RC's GPS location if you select this option, otherwise the I2 uses its GPS device to determine its position on take off.

Reactions: NoTech64
After some more research I just bought the I-Pad 9.7 pro
Ive used both Panasonic Toughpad (Android) and iPad Pro 9.7 with DJI Go and other apps and find the iPad words faster and more reliably. However I also noticed on the Pix4D Capture app, the Android version has a very nice mode where you can control the uav manually and it will take a photo every x metres which is great for vertical surveys. The IOS version does not have this mode

Personally I have only used the iPad Air 2 and mini 4 (I usually have both with me when I fly and use the mini as a back up) with my I1 and I2. My reason for posting, is the issue of having GPS capability in the tablet. I experimented around this issue with my I1 and concluded that the RC DOES NOT get any GPS fix or GPS co-ordinates from the tablet. The RC has its own GPS device. I was able to confirm from DJI Technical support that the RC does not obtain GPS info from the tablet. Therefore save yourself some money. Autopilot does use the tablet for GPS location in some of its features. RTH works on the RC's GPS location if you select this option, otherwise the I2 uses its GPS device to determine its position on take off.

What size screen do you prefer? Is the Air 2 bulky and hard to use with the controller as apposed to the mini 4? Or do you enjoy the size of the screen better on the Air 2?

The RC has its own GPS device. I was able to confirm from DJI Technical support that the RC does not obtain GPS info from the tablet. Therefore save yourself some money.

You do need to purchase the add-on GPS device for the I2 remote though and it will end up a little untidy once fitted to the controller.

Autopilot does use the tablet for GPS location in some of its features.

This may be the question that makes the difference, can 3rd party apps also use the GPS add-on for the controller? I'd hope so, but I haven't looked at the SDK to check so if you want to go down this route it may be worth asking your preferred 3rd party app provider to confirm...

What size screen do you prefer? Is the Air 2 bulky and hard to use with the controller as apposed to the mini 4? Or do you enjoy the size of the screen better on the Air 2?

Just be aware that with the full size iPads you will either have to remove the case to fit it onto the controller, or use a slim case that is compatible with the 'smart cover' as that leaves one edge exposed so it just (and I really do mean 'just' ) fits onto the standard controller mount.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen