Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is anyone here doing stereoscopic 360 video on an Inspire?

Reaction score
The title says it all. Anyone doing this yet? I don't mean just stringing a monoscopic 360 camera like a Ricoh Theta from an Inspire, I mean FULL two-eye stereoscopic video.

-W

You wont really see that much 3d in an aerial since the distance to subject is so far vs the interocular

Reactions: The Editor
You wont really see that much 3d in an aerial since the distance to subject is so far vs the interocular
There's a school of thought that says 3D stereo should be poking you in the face, I'm more of the school that says subtle depth cues are more conducive to immersing you in the illusion of "being there". E.g. less is more, but you need the stereopsis to do so!

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
Hi @Hugh4G:

We do panos on the ground as well as aerial (in the air try DronePano, it's pretty cool), but in addition we've been doing some experimentation with multiple (lightweight) ganged camera systems for full stereoscopic 360 VR. You can see an example result here:
Best viewed with google cardboard with a GOOD large smartphone.

Be sure to go into Youtube settings and set the highest resolution your connection allows for.

There is also a version of this test shot on Vrideo (if you have Oculus Rift): Sunset in the Poconos V2

The resolution isn't quite there yet but we're working on it!

****... I knew someone would push me in to OculusRift

Looks interesting... I've been shooting panos for years... its what took me from film to digital n the first place. Drone Pano is fine with android, though with iOS, the gimbal can't be made to rotate independently.

I'll keep watching

Reactions: Aubrey Martin
We´ve been doing vr 360 videos both on ground and air for a while, using a different camera setup it could be stereoscopic but as for actual customer needs, youtube fake 3d already achieves a stereoscopic "feel".

Here some photos of the rigs and a link to a commercial where we did the aerials:
13502084_1216935538317297_8602494707018675053_n.jpg 13528657_1216935501650634_2295561217671409602_n.jpg

Hi Apejovic: we've been looking at the GoPro 6 camera solution, but you can't really use two of them side-by-side because 1) the interocular distance would be too high, causing hyperstereo (which makes you "feel" like a "giant") Hypostereo (where the interocular distance is less than 6cm) makes you feel like a fly or a mouse strapped to the drone. 2) Weight, plus with 2 360 camera rigs, one is always in the others' "way" or FOV for part of the sphere. I'm thinking of a GoPro 6 camera cube, but with extreme wideangle lenses (like 220 deg FOV, 1mm FL equivalent @ 35mm) so as to get complete parallax overlap, then you can do depth-from-disparity. A work in progress, and a very expensive experiment however...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc