Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Left stick not responding...

Reaction score
Did a search for this and only found 20 articles, none of which had anything to do with my issue so ill post...

My wife and i were flying in dual operator mode with my new Inspire 2 just fine, all firmware updates, everything was great. She went out of town and i decided to take the bird out alone. Since her ipad and controller were off i would assume that the drone would default to single operator mode which it did. Weird thing was it would let me take it up in the air, down and left to right, but if i tried to rotate the drone with the left stick by pressing it left or right i got no response.
One odd thing is if i switched into ATTI mode it let me have full control over the left stick and it responded fine, P or S mode the left stick was essentially "dead" when moved to left or right.
I tried with her remote and her ipad and same issue.
I downgraded the firmware on the remotes, tried, same issue.
I upgraded the firmware on the remotes, even refreshed, same issue.
I deleted the DJI GO 4 app, reinstalled, same issue, changed cables out, same issue.
Finally i refreshed the drone firmware, did a fresh IMU and compass calibration, same issue.
I called DJI and their engineer said they never heard of this before and said i need to send the drone in for repairs. Ill send it back to Amazon before i go through that mess as ive only had this about a week and done only a few flights with it.
I have made sure the remote is in master mode, also tried it in the OFF mode just for the heck of it, still same results. I have checked the sensor settings, GAIN, EXP etc... and all are set normal (factory), none are set to zero or anything like that.
Im doing all of this in a field away from all interference, i fly my P4's and Mavic in the same place all the time and have never had an issue.
Any ideas?

Did a joystick calibration? When you do that, it should show your input to confirm that it does indeed work to the left

If you can show that the controller is communicating to the software a left input, the the issue must lie in the drone

Did a search for this and only found 20 articles, none of which had anything to do with my issue so ill post...

My wife and i were flying in dual operator mode with my new Inspire 2 just fine, all firmware updates, everything was great. She went out of town and i decided to take the bird out alone. Since her ipad and controller were off i would assume that the drone would default to single operator mode which it did. Weird thing was it would let me take it up in the air, down and left to right, but if i tried to rotate the drone with the left stick by pressing it left or right i got no response.
One odd thing is if i switched into ATTI mode it let me have full control over the left stick and it responded fine, P or S mode the left stick was essentially "dead" when moved to left or right.
I tried with her remote and her ipad and same issue.
I downgraded the firmware on the remotes, tried, same issue.
I upgraded the firmware on the remotes, even refreshed, same issue.
I deleted the DJI GO 4 app, reinstalled, same issue, changed cables out, same issue.
Finally i refreshed the drone firmware, did a fresh IMU and compass calibration, same issue.
I called DJI and their engineer said they never heard of this before and said i need to send the drone in for repairs. Ill send it back to Amazon before i go through that mess as ive only had this about a week and done only a few flights with it.
I have made sure the remote is in master mode, also tried it in the OFF mode just for the heck of it, still same results. I have checked the sensor settings, GAIN, EXP etc... and all are set normal (factory), none are set to zero or anything like that.
Im doing all of this in a field away from all interference, i fly my P4's and Mavic in the same place all the time and have never had an issue.
Any ideas?

If the stick calibration does not fix your issue give this a try.

Go to Main Controller settings > Advanced Settings > Sensitivity > Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode, move that pointer to zero. Test fly it to see if that corrected your issue. If it does then go back and adjust that setting to your preference, typically below 30.

It'll be what Florida Drone apply said.... the diagnostic/give-away is that the aircraft is fine in ATTI mode. You'll find that if you leave it in P/S mode and pop the gimbal into 'free' mode, then the aircraft responds properly too. It'll stop responding as soon as you pop it back into the default 'follow' mode.

So, so many people are now coming unstuck with this config setting that I wish DJI would properly document it/announce it. Even their (normally) decent tech help minions on their own forum didn't know about it's effects until very recently :(

So quick update -
This eve i decided to power the drone down, remove the camera, power the drone up and let it idle for about 3 minutes, then powered it down, reattached the camera and presto, it launched in follow mode and the cam WAS working, i took it to about 100 ft and then it switched into free mode by itself, when i tried to switch it back to follow mode same issue happened, it would not yaw left or right, in free mode it yaws but i have no camera control in single operator mode.
I saw a thread on here, similar to what you guys mentioned above about setting the yaw smoothness to zero or close to zero, i did that, even reset and no go, it still wont yaw in follow mode.
This really sucks, this drone is brand new, 3 flights, in dual op mode it works great, i think at this point ive done everything there is to do, even tried two different controllers, two diff ipads, different cables, firmware on rc and drone... bla.

Did a joystick calibration? When you do that, it should show your input to confirm that it does indeed work to the left

If you can show that the controller is communicating to the software a left input, the the issue must lie in the drone
If i fly in ATTI or FREE mode it yaws fine.

So quick update -
This eve i decided to power the drone down, remove the camera, power the drone up and let it idle for about 3 minutes, then powered it down, reattached the camera and presto, it launched in follow mode and the cam WAS working, i took it to about 100 ft and then it switched into free mode by itself, when i tried to switch it back to follow mode same issue happened, it would not yaw left or right, in free mode it yaws but i have no camera control in single operator mode.
I saw a thread on here, similar to what you guys mentioned above about setting the yaw smoothness to zero or close to zero, i did that, even reset and no go, it still wont yaw in follow mode.
This really sucks, this drone is brand new, 3 flights, in dual op mode it works great, i think at this point ive done everything there is to do, even tried two different controllers, two diff ipads, different cables, firmware on rc and drone... bla.

Yaw Smoothness and Gimbal Yaw Smoothness are two different adjustments.

where do you get to the settings for both? i know to get to the only one i know of you click on the gimbal, then advanced and its there, where is the other setting located?

This is the one you need to adjust. The top Icon in the menu. Qouted from @Florida Drone Supply

Go to Main Controller settings > Advanced Settings > Sensitivity > Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode, move that pointer to zero. Test fly it to see if that corrected your issue. If it does then go back and adjust that setting to your preference, typically below 30.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ai900exam