Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Loose motors

Reaction score
So today I noticed my inspire motors have a tiny bit of play in them when pulling up and down. They seem normal when in flight and don't make any sort of weird movements or noises and they all have about the same amount of play so I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing or not. When I say play I don't mean they're falling off, I mean just enough to barely feel when pulling up and down on the motor lightly. Also I noticed my props have some play when I hold the motor still and wiggle them back and forth. I have the props with the little metal locking clip things

So today I noticed my inspire motors have a tiny bit of play in them when pulling up and down. They seem normal when in flight and don't make any sort of weird movements or noises and they all have about the same amount of play so I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing or not. When I say play I don't mean they're falling off, I mean just enough to barely feel when pulling up and down on the motor lightly. Also I noticed my props have some play when I hold the motor still and wiggle them back and forth. I have the props with the little metal locking clip things
Normal - Its a small amount of lateral play between the top and bottom bearings and the thrust washer

Normal - Its a small amount of lateral play between the top and bottom bearings and the thrust washer
Really?

Don't listen to this guy, administrator or not, those are BAD bearings caused by the BAD props DJI sent you.

There should be ZERO movement of the motor housing or blades. Go ahead, search around here, you'll find plenty of "prop issue" threads.

Really?

Don't listen to this guy, administrator or not, those are BAD bearings caused by the BAD props DJI sent you.

There should be ZERO movement of the motor housing or blades. Go ahead, search around here, you'll find plenty of "prop issue" threads.
I'm sorry?..... the OP was talking about the Inspire 1 not 2 and some play in the shaft on the Inspire 1 is normal. I probably have just slightly more experience of Inspire's than you and I have seen it on every one I have flown or worked on.

Reactions: jlrsn and agraska
boca-contact-png.12982

Reactions: agraska
Really?

I currently have the 1345s props. It seems to fly perfectly normal and I don't hear or see anything that doesn't seem normal other than that tiny tiny bit of play.

Really?

I spoke to a DJI rep over the phone he said he checked the inspire 1 v1 they have and it does have the tiny amount of play with the props and motors. He said it's normal to prevent rubbing

I spoke to a DJI rep over the phone he said he checked the inspire 1 v1 they have and it does have the tiny amount of play with the props and motors. He said it's normal to prevent rubbing
DJI also says wrecked birds can be fixed by IMU and compass calibration.... [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Reactions: Bri Guy
I'm sorry?..... the OP was talking about the Inspire 1 not 2 and some play in the shaft on the Inspire 1 is normal. I probably have just slightly more experience of Inspire's than you and I have seen it on every one I have flown or worked on.
Well aware what he was asking, and I've done enough research to know that's why people were replacing bearings on the I1.

I'm a trained and in the field industrial mechanic/engineer of almost 20 years... I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two about motors.

Now.... if they fly good enough for you, that's fine, but that crap about tolerance is nonsense and typical DJI "passing the buck" to cover for the fact that they are still cheap, poor QC, Chinese crap.

Well aware what he was asking, and I've done enough research to know that's why people were replacing bearings on the I1.

I'm a trained and in the field industrial mechanic/engineer of almost 20 years... I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two about motors.

Now.... if they fly good enough for you, that's fine, but that crap about tolerance is nonsense and typical DJI "passing the buck" to cover for the fact that they are still cheap, poor QC, Chinese crap.
All bearings on multis need to be replaced after a period anyway - usually around 80 - 120 hours but varies. Agreed DJI bearings are cheap rubbish (but then everything manufactured in China is cheap rubbish) - I have fully ceramic in both my I1's.
All 3510/350's on every Inspire I have ever touched have a small amount of play up against the thrust washer.

Reactions: Thatius Dudeson
I have fully ceramic in both my I1's.
All 3510/350's on every Inspire I have ever touched have a small amount of play up against the thrust washer.

I assume you're speaking of play even after the bearing change?

Makes me wonder if that is because it's the bearing seat rather than the races themselves that wear.

Seen large brushless motors do the same, granted we would just run them until they died, replacing bearings as it goes, because at 15-30k each, we run them till dead.

All bearings on multis need to be replaced after a period anyway - usually around 80 - 120 hours but varies. Agreed DJI bearings are cheap rubbish (but then everything manufactured in China is cheap rubbish) - I have fully ceramic in both my I1's.
I got my inspire 1 used and I'm not sure how many hours it has. How else would I be able to tell when the bearings need changed and how much would it cost

I got my inspire 1 used and I'm not sure how many hours it has. How else would I be able to tell when the bearings need changed and how much would it cost
The easiest test to do for bearing wear is to touch each motor in turn the second you land and shut the motors off. If one of them is noticeably warmer/hotter than the rest suspect worn bearings.
More severe wear will show up as a different sound coming from the motors or a stiffer feel when trying to rotate them by hand.
However, the first sign of wear will usually be the heat test I mentioned above.
Cost to replace all eight bearing can range from a few dollars to several hundred depending on the quality you want to go for with fully ceramic being the most expensive.
Have a search on the forum as bearing replacements and suitable ones have been discussed previously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963