Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need first time drone advice, buy the inspire 1 v2 or the Phantom 4 Pro?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did read and reply on another similar thread (Do I sell my Inspire 1 for a Phantom 4 Pro?)

But that post was for someone asking do they sell there Inspire 1 for a P4P.

My question is which one should I buy? I can either get the P4P for retail $2600 AUD or the Inspire 1 V2 for $2200 AUD.

I have never owned a drone before but want one for short and feature films so want the best quality video possible.

Reading the specs the cameras are now exactly the same both being a 1inch CMOS sensor but the P4P seems to come with a lot more software features.

The only advantage I can see with the Inspire 1 (besides the $400 in price) is that I could upgrade the camera from the X3 is comes with to the X5.

Thanks for any reply's

The P4P has a better camera spec than any of the Inspire 1 options, except the X5R. I think the relevant choice for you (and me) is between the P4P and the Inspire 2 x4S. I believe the cameras are identical so it's more about the aircraft specs and your budget!

The P4P has a better camera spec than any of the Inspire 1 options, except the X5R. I think the relevant choice for you (and me) is between the P4P and the Inspire 2 x4S. I believe the cameras are identical so it's more about the aircraft specs and your budget!

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the Inspire 2 is definitely not an option for me at $5200 AUD!

Couple more things to consider - the Inspire handles the wind better than the Phantom. There may be situations where the Inspire will be able to fly, the Phantom won't.

Also, the Inspire has video output, for live video feeds. I checked the P4P specs. and it appears not to have this feature.

Couple more things to consider - the Inspire handles the wind better than the Phantom. There may be situations where the Inspire will be able to fly, the Phantom won't.

Also, the Inspire has video output, for live video feeds. I checked the P4P specs. and it appears not to have this feature.

The P4's don't have hdmi output on the remotes?

The P4's don't have hdmi output on the remotes?
No. The P4P remote doesn't come with an HDMI module. Some P4P owners have purchased the HDMI addon and attached it to the remote and it doesn't work (but it should). Most likely, there will be a firmware update to address this in the future.

I have one on my p3p, I wouldn't get a p4 for that reason. I like to use my googles or monitor.

I would suggest any first timer to buy a cheap but capable quad (for outside use) and learn to fly MANUAL and VLOS at a safe place. And lose it or crash it probably. Better even: go to flight training. Even if you have prior RC experience, flying a multirotor is very different. OK, you have all sorts of automatics going on. So you think you can fly. But you can't. If anything fails, you realise you can't fly it at all and you lose it, hopefully in a tree and not on somebodies head.

And then, if you know what a quad does in a sudden wind gust, without GPS assistance, and you instantly recover and keep it safe and close, if you know how to safe yourself in a situation where you lost all orientation on your quad and manage to fly it back and land safely in that wind.....you're ready to choose.

Reading back my comment I realise it sounds patronising. Sorry, wasn't meant to be.
Sincere advise, that's all.

P4p would be my choice. I have a I1p an a regular 4 . Far more portable it will fly well in heavy wind an you'll get more time to fly. An $ wise you can't beat it. My 2¢

HDMI out will be an option you can buy and add it on asfour Crystal Sky if you lose Leticia it's not going to work with third-party apps

Hello mate

This is Cyrus from Singapore. How are you doing?

I think this few pointers could help in your decision:

Portability - Is this your topmost priority?
Modularity - If you know there's a chance to advance in the camera grade on a modular system, Inspire will be yur choice.

For me, I didn't mind the wingspan of Inspire so I settled with that; also I know there's a possibility I'll move to M4/3 systems on the X5, so that justified another point of why I settled for Inspire instead of Phantom.

Each has it's own strengths to individual's preference. Hope this helps!

Cyrus

QUOTE="gfoley952, post: 128577, member: 34892"]Hi all,

I did read and reply on another similar thread (Do I sell my Inspire 1 for a Phantom 4 Pro?)

My question is which one should I buy? I can either get the P4P for retail $2600 AUD or the Inspire 1 V2 for $2200 AUD.

I have never owned a drone before but want one for short and feature films so want the best quality video possible.

Reading the specs the cameras are now exactly the same both being a 1inch CMOS sensor but the P4P seems to come with a lot more software features.

The only advantage I can see with the Inspire 1 (besides the $400 in price) is that I could upgrade the camera from the X3 is comes with to the X5.

Thanks for any reply's[/QUOTE]

One other thing I did not see mentioned yet is the option to have a 2nd person as a camera operator. As you advance in your filming, you may find it beneficial to be able to do shots that have multiple axis of movement at the same time (panning and tilting) or you may find that it is a lot of things to manage if you are flying and moving the camera at the same time. With an Inspire you can simply add a second remote and be a 2 person crew when necessary.

That said, if you are really just beginning, I might consider grabbing a used phantom or something very basic to get some flight time with. Lake_Flyer made some good points about the learning process. Practice as much as you can and you will find your skills can develop very quickly.

As you get started, feel free to reach out with any questions - we are happy to help.

Hi all,

Thanks for any reply's
Where can you get an Inspire 1 for $2200 AUD? I would really like to know!!
Also I am not sure if you have your camera specs correct. The P4P has a 1" sensor (20Mp) and the Inspire with the X5 camera has a M4/3 sensor (much bigger but less Mp 16Mp). So which is better? the smaller sensor P4P or the larger sensor X5 Inspire? I recently did a test comparing the 2. The result was that it is very difficult to tell the photos apart when enlarged to A3 size. I tested 10 people and 9/10 picked the X5 as being slightly better but all agreed it was too close to call.

Not entirely true unless you are just going by the Mp. The sensor on the Inspire X5 has almost twice the area of the P4P.
P4P: 1" 13.2mm x 8.8mm. Area = 116 sqmm
Inspire X5: M4/3 sensor 17.3mm x 13mm. Area = 225 sqmm

If sensor size means anything the X5 should win even though the P4P has more Mp. There is more noise in the P4P still photos I have done the testing and compared sure by side.

Reactions: Flyinghigh1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu