Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Race to the Bottom

same happened to the photography industry with first digital, then phones and now cameras that just dont take bad images, now its all down to tallent which unfortunately most clients don't appreciate cause they are so used to the rubbish standards on social media and supplied by cheap wedding photographers.

It’s mostly because of ilegel flyers that are willing to work for $50. I have stopped actively trying to complete. And refuse to go out for less than $800. So as not to be part of the race. I spent $120,000 on an RV and I told the manager since I have done business with him could I offer to fly over his RV park and get some really great shots. There was no rocket science involved in this job and probably only about an hour or so worth of work. But he was squarely in class B airspace so I offered for $300 as a courtesy to get the waiver, fly a phantom 4 pro and capture his lot. You guessed it, a month later I see a television commercial with aerial shots of this RV place actually let me name them Albany RV. Turns out some dude came by cheap flew in surface to 2000 foot class B airspace higher than most of the plains actually come in over the top of this joint. Bottom line is as long as the FAA refuses to punish these people they will continue to out-compete us and you and I will as you said, race to the bottom. To adwb’s Point if you are doing serious cinema work or tower inspections, a license, talent and insurance will win the day, buy I am not seeing a lot of that work here in Upstate NY. The upside for me is that I am a video producer editor and shooter, so I can add money to the overall budget, break out the drone, increase the production values and still make it worth it. What as a pure drone play, it’s a tough climate out there for us guys trying to do it right. Chin up and simply enjoy the fly time in between gigs.

Reactions: Black Sky
It’s mostly because of ilegel flyers that are willing to work for $50. I have stopped actively trying to complete. And refuse to go out for less than $800. So as not to be part of the race. I spent $120,000 on an RV and I told the manager since I have done business with him could I offer to fly over his RV park and get some really great shots. There was no rocket science involved in this job and probably only about an hour or so worth of work. But he was squarely in class B airspace so I offered for $300 as a courtesy to get the waiver, fly a phantom 4 pro and capture his lot. You guessed it, a month later I see a television commercial with aerial shots of this RV place actually let me name them Albany RV. Turns out some dude came by cheap flew in surface to 2000 foot class B airspace higher than most of the plains actually come in over the top of this joint. Bottom line is as long as the FAA refuses to punish these people they will continue to out-compete us and you and I will as you said, race to the bottom. To adwb’s Point if you are doing serious cinema work or tower inspections, a license, talent and insurance will win the day, buy I am not seeing a lot of that work here in Upstate NY. The upside for me is that I am a video producer editor and shooter, so I can add money to the overall budget, break out the drone, increase the production values and still make it worth it. What as a pure drone play, it’s a tough climate out there for us guys trying to do it right. Chin up and simply enjoy the fly time in between gigs.

Ithaca, Ny people always ask if I could do this or that but I’m a hobbyist so it’s missed opportunities for me.

I own a somewhat pro drone so I just like to stay loopy.

Video editing is what I like to learn in my free time!

I wish the best to the pro’s even though I throw pebbles at you guys some times but I refuse to solicit my i2 for chump change.

As you should. Screw em! $10,000 in the air being pilot and camera man for a couple hundred bucks. Ridiculous?!! HNg tough man.
Video editing is where the money is.

The drone itself is what open my eyes to a bigger picture.

Editing is a lot to learn but that's what separates the men from the boys. I'm just trying to step my manhood up.

Homework homework homework:D

The vineyards in NY is an opportunity, IMHO.

I am in northern NY {lake placid }and there are drone pilots up here with no 107 who will do work for $50. Not at our level and with cheap gear. We just shoot what we want and if someone sees it we may sell it. I do a fair amount of “ I love NY “ commercials.

Reactions: slim.slamma
I am in northern NY {lake placid }and there are drone pilots up here with no 107 who will do work for $50. Not at our level and with cheap gear. We just shoot what we want and if someone sees it we may sell it. I do a fair amount of “ I love NY “ commercials.
That’s your commercials? I assumed it was one of the forum Mods.
I thought it was @Mazz.

Last edited:
That’s your commercials? I assumed it was one of the forum Mods.
I thought it was @Mazz.
No, I have not posted any as they were used by a NYS firm for “I Love NY “ campaigns on tv. We spend most of our time in Key West Florida. I have a construction co so that takes up most of my time. We also have a farm in BInghamton N.Y. so we know and love the southern tier. We do not work full time filming but by fall we hope to be doing more. I have not posted vids here in a while and need to get back to doing so. Love this forum and have learned so much.

Yeah the Tv commercial “I love Ny” i seen your work on television for sure.
No I wasn’t saying you posted on the forum but I assumed it was a forum member.

cool stuff I been dying to know who’s work, had to be a forum member. I remember you now you don’t comment much though but the lake placid sticks out to me, wasn’t many Ny members early on.

Ok I’ll admit I’m a little jealous but I would never hate. I need to stop procrastinating. Good stuff you definitely seized the moment!

Video editing is where the money is.

The drone itself is what open my eyes to a bigger picture.

Editing is a lot to learn but that's what separates the men from the boys. I'm just trying to step my manhood up.

Homework homework homework:D

The vineyards in NY is an opportunity, IMHO.
Fortunately my son (25) is an awesome editor, I am ok but the “ old dogs new tricks” thing. I have
You used the X3 for it?
yes, I shot a ton of x3 stuff over the years and have 5 inspire 1s. Not sure what do do with so many now,sort of went nuts. Love them but we are ordering a 2 with a x7 next month. I have read your post over the last several years and you have thought me so much,thank you so much.

My son is an awesome editor and I am decent,we have a construction co and spend most of our time doing that. We live in Key West Florida for most of the year and return home to northern N.Y. in the summer. We plan to do a lot more filming in the fall when construction projects are done. I need to get back to posting vids here. I do love this forum and all who take the time to educate us all.

I know one of the State Park superintendents he asked me to do some park shots, me being Mr. law abiding citizen non 107 felt it wasn’t right.
I own some sanitation trucks in the city so that’s my bread and butter.

Fortunately my son (25) is an awesome editor, I am ok but the “ old dogs new tricks” thing. I have
Yeah I know what your saying.
Any credit you give me I toss it to the @The Editor.
I wasn’t expecting that compliment though, my lady said I’m blushing now:)
We always talk about your commercials good stuff brother. We might need to bump heads.

We have lost several jobs in recent months for aerial work even though I have years of experience and am Part 107 certified. The reason, "I have a friend who has a drone." These "friends" are not certified, say they don't know or care about FAA rules (hey, this is Texas...people here chose what laws to follow and how, especially when it's federal laws, then they brag about it). But the sad thing is, drones like the Mavic are so good, they video these amateurs shoot is pretty good, in most cases. So, their "client" is happy and they never even consider us, once their "friend" or business colleague or whoever has a drone, is done. Heck, I've even been told about a 14 year old shooting aerials for a business, "just for his fun and enjoyment." The business owner is thrilled, he gets pretty good video, free. Trying to make a living in aerial video or photography is really a race to the bottom.

I hold a Class A commercial drivers license for over 20 years now, own a few trucks. BIC license holder, you couldn’t understand the hoops required. Reasons why NYC is soooo hard on the Sanitation, Garment and Seafood industry, I’m not getting into.

When regular folks run stop signs, drive over the white line, drive under the speed limit, run yellow lights, it would piss me off.

I eventually realized I can’t judge everyone by my own yard stick. I had road rage so bad, I had to take an anger management class. I had it bad:mad:

Pull up to the dump, what do we see, guys in vans fulled with construction debri. No license, no nothing. Where’s the city nowhere to be seen! When you really look, they only doing low budget jobs that I probably wouldn’t want my men being bothered with anyway, Mavic jobs i refer to now;)

In the 90’s I could make over a 100k Working on the truck as a HELPER. My guys only pull 80k with no overtime today, driving!

Hey I understand, but I stepped my Game up and I still moan, so what can we do? I offer better service, that’s all, some customers aren’t worth the time anyway:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: samtheparrot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineL