Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Recording to the SSD

Reaction score
My 120G SSD arrived and I attempted to record flight video to both the micro SD as well as the SSD. Video recording to the micro SD went just fine. However, the RC displayed a notice that I 'do not have the proper license to record to SSD'! Interesting! And of course there was no video recorded on the SSD. Do I need to purchase one of those expensive licenses to use the SSD as a video recording storage media?

Just a quick question...did you intend on using the 120gig SSD only for storage? I only ask because the 128 SD cards are cheaper and you have more storage.

Just a quick question...did you intend on using the 120gig SSD only for storage? I only ask because the 128 SD cards are cheaper and you have more storage.
Initially , yes. Your right, the 128 SD cards are cheaper and that is what I have installed in the SD slot.

Yup, your right. just bought those licenses and got the authorization code. Now the I2 records to both the SSD and the SD Card,

Unfortunately you will find out real soon if your into recording in higher resolution that the ssd card you just bought will fill up extremely fast! You'll end up getting the bigger ones eventually, then want more cause it takes a while to download the video off of them cards! It never ends seems like lol

Reactions: dkotinsky
Unfortunately you will find out real soon if your into recording in higher resolution that the ssd card you just bought will fill up extremely fast! You'll end up getting the bigger ones eventually, then want more cause it takes a while to download the video off of them cards! It never ends seems like lol
It is good for photography burst mode as well.

Attachments

• SSD Burst Mode.jpg
    SSD Burst Mode.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Pictographica - a few questions for you... I've an SSD on order, but no news on arrival yet :( - got a CineSSD station sat feeling lonely on my desk :D

Where those taken while recording video too?
How many did you get from the burst - where you limited to 20 at a time, or could it manage continuous?
Are they full res RAW (20Mp), or smaller/video frame size?

Reactions: FinesAerial.com
Can i ask if using still photos only can you record to the SSD as will as SD card (obviously not in pro-res, etc) or do you have to pay the lic fee to even access the SSD as a storage medium ?

Based on my experience you have to pay the license fee to get the unlock password code to use the SSD's for recording any media. Not sure that is 100% correct but it's based on my limited experience.

Reactions: Drone_Video
Based on my experience you have to pay the license fee to get the unlock password code to use the SSD's for recording any media. Not sure that is 100% correct but it's based on my limited experience.
When I bought my I2, I paid a little over $6k, and it came with the license already installed but it has stickers on it that say ProRes and CinemaDNG. What I don't know is if you buy the basic model I2, does it come with the capability of recording in ProRes/CinemaDNG if you buy the license or do you have to send it back to DJI to have it "installed" per say

I bought the license on line from DJI and they sent me the code via email to unlock the system and be able to record to the SSD. All the instructions are on the DJI site. Very easy.

Yea I'd say! Lol... Haven't really used it for pictures only high res video but does it take just as long for pictures to download off the SSD card if its full of pictures?
I did not offload these test photos to LightRoom but remember they are about 20MP each, not much different than my Canon 5D2. The issue with these raw files is that the PhotoShop raw file handler may not be the best and some still photographers are using RawTherepee (from TheGrumpster on the RC I2 owners forum).

Last edited:
Pictographica - a few questions for you... I've an SSD on order, but no news on arrival yet :( - got a CineSSD station sat feeling lonely on my desk :D

Where those taken while recording video too?
How many did you get from the burst - where you limited to 20 at a time, or could it manage continuous?
Are they full res RAW (20Mp), or smaller/video frame size?
Remember I bought the unpopular 120G SSD. I am mostly a still photographer. I did want to make sure I could record all of the premium package license formats - so I did shoot some samples during the rain, in my kitchen. No samples to share but the various formats allowed with a 120G SSD drive were selectable.

The maximum limit in raw photo burst mode is listed as infinity (a sideways "8"); see page 69 of the manual. Video specs are here just select the SSD card you want to look at: Buy Inspire 2 Series

I think some folks are forgetting that the expensive SSD cards do not compare to micro SD cards. SSDs though expensive are incredibly fast: as I was shooting the photo file numbers went by very fast without any noticeable slow down.
- Joseph

Can i ask if using still photos only can you record to the SSD as will as SD card (obviously not in pro-res, etc) or do you have to pay the lic fee to even access the SSD as a storage medium ?
Unfortunately - yes you have to according to Bladestrike. I am not sure what lic you need to get to have access to the SSD photo burst mode. @blade strike may be able to let us kniw that.

Remember I bought the unpopular 120G SSD. I am mostly a still photographer. I did want to make sure I could record all of the premium package license formats - so I did shoot some samples during the rain, in my kitchen. No samples to share but the various formats allowed with a 120G SSD drive were selectable.

The maximum limit in raw photo burst mode is listed as infinity (a sideways "8"); see page 69 of the manual. Video specs are here just select the SSD card you want to look at: Buy Inspire 2 Series

I think some folks are forgetting that the expensive SSD cards do not compare to micro SD cards. SSDs though expensive are incredibly fast: as I was shooting the photo file numbers went by very fast without any noticeable slow down.
- Joseph
Joseph, thanks for the update. Like you, I mainly shoot stills and had been waiting for someone else to provide feedback like you did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers