Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Scotland - blanket ban on recreational flying

Reaction score
So the Forestry Commission Scotland has just released their latest policy on recreational drone flying....:

"Flying drones (unmanned aircraft) as an informal activity or hobby is not allowed on Scotland's National Forest Estate. This is because this activity is often incompatible with responsible access under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, particularly in a working forest environment, instances where people are enjoying quiet recreation, or where it may impact on people's privacy."

Discuss...., for one I am pretty unhappy. Can't see how it is enforceable, they don't own the airspace above the forest floor, there is the right to roam unlike the rest of the UK and just a backwards, draconian approach.

Permissions and permits - Forestry Commission Scotland

Here in the United States they cant say no flying. they just say you cant take off or land from public property.

Same for Forestry Commission England. You have to have land owner permission for your take off spot.

With the range on drones these days and the rural nature of the location you can usually get away with just flying anyway.

With the amount of bureaucracy festering these days, sometimes you just have to make a stand and say FU or you won't be able to do anything.

I read somewhere the EU is trying to make it so you need permission to take pictures of pretty much anything. Hopefully they'll have self imploded by then.

For me I respect the law, but I also know when the law changes from being worthy of respect to contempt its usually ok to push that boundary.

Best thing to do if you get told off is to act passive and stupid.
This makes the other guy thinks he controls you, and because you're 'stupid' they don't see much worth in taking it further, finally offer to delete the footage and photos so there is no harm done.
(you don't have to do this unless they stand over you)

Remember, you're flying a drone and taking pictures, not sleeping with kids...

Last edited:
Oh C@... but expected. :(

Especially when people flout the rules and try anyway. Mkes it even harder for everybody and all they are doing is making it more difficult and frustrating for themselves so they just end up getting angry and doing it anyway. A bit self-destructive, silly really.

I spoke in length to the FCS today; apparently one person (me!) responded to their consultation regarding drone usage before the closing date and subsequent policy issue.

And there are a lot of pilots, commercial and non-commercial in Scotland. So now the FCS doesn't have a representative number and will have to make things up as they see fit. That is sad. And Mr Angry will just get angrier...

Reactions: Kenneth Sands
Sounds like the National Trust in England. Instead of seeing this activity as a potential revenue generator or harmless activity, they respond to requests to fly with nonsense about "spirit of place". They don't see a difference between professional operators trying to obtain images which would also enhance their reputation and amateurs buzzing deer.

Reactions: Cornscot
I take they allow dog walking? Ask them if they are liable if you get bit by a dog on their land or some prat on a mountain bike doing 40mph on a down hill stretch. I think they will change the subject pretty quickly.

I read somewhere the EU is trying to make it so you need permission to take pictures of pretty much anything. Hopefully they'll have self imploded by then
In the future you can only fly when you are someone from the goverment I believe.
With such stupid laws(rules) the entire drone industry will be dead in a few years.

In the future you can only fly when you are someone from the goverment I believe.
With such stupid laws(rules) the entire drone industry will be dead in a few years.
That's the worry; there are so many great applications yet there is a fear of change and advancement apparent (not helped by the cowboys and bad news story hungry press)

This is definitely a case of just play dumb. I very much doubt the vast majority of people know that the restriction exists, you can easily pretend to be one of those people. They're not going to confiscate your drone and I would be amazed if you were even fined; and that's if anybody even stops you. Some restrictions make sense and I like that the industry is regulated and clamping down on idiots flying them like idiots is sensible, but this is just nonsense.

I am sure there are many that will but the risk of getting 'done' is too high when trying to establish a trusting relationship with them to work out a sensible solution.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Reactions: ash223
I live in the Netherlands.
Last weekend I parked my landrover (which has my drone company name and logos all over it) at a nearby forrest to walk the dog. When I walked back, from a far distance I noticed that some (forrest)official parked his little green car next to mine, he actually blocked the road doing that, and he was walking around it, peeping inside. He didn't see me yet. Then he started walking down the road looking up in the sky, clearly to spot a drone. I just let him pass by, he didn't know I was the dreaded drone pilot. I waited for a while at my car but he kept on walking and looking up.
When I pulled away with my LR I had to go deep through the mud because his car blocked my parking spot and the road next to it. He was clearly trying to keep my Defender as a hostage. Thank god I have a LR. No problem, didn't even need the low gearing. Leaving feet deep, water and mud filled tracks in the grass I pulled away. I felt sorry for the damage I did to the grass but the mud spray over his little green box on wheels made me grin.

Coincidently, one hour earlier, when I arrived at that spot, an Audi with 2 businessmen in it where stuck in the mud after taking a leak, and trying to do a 180 turn on that small road. I pulled them out with my winch, before I headed out with my dog. Made some new friends :).
landy.jpg

It is possible to fly over most national parks here (any open space not owned by a private person here is claimed to be national park) as long as there is no special or temporarily local rule banning the use of drones. But the guys with the little green cars and badges just try to scare everybody away, no matter what.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen