Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Where do you practice?

Reaction score
As commercial operators we are under more pressure to stay within the rules than hobbyists. After all, we can have our permissions taken off us.

But where do you guys practice between jobs? I used to have access to a field from a farmer through a friend who rented some office space on a farm. But I have since had a falling out with said friend and I haven't been able to use the land since. I have found one local person, but they want me to phone them before I go onto the field, and they want to supervise me there when I go. Not always convenient, but kind of them to offer at least.

Keeping the number of hours and currency up is difficult. Well, impossible, unless lots of aerial work forthcoming (which at the moment it isn't). We don't have a right of responsible access in England like in Scotland (although seemingly the Forestry Commission up there seem to have take it upon themselves to ban drones now, and want to charge £250 per day for any type of commercial filming, even if you are doing a mate a favour and doing the work for free or for showreel purposes. Good job they don't own the major glens and mountains then!) so finding anywhere to fly is impossible.

Much of the land of England and Wales is a patchwork of private fields and grazing land that we do not have access to without knowing the landowner. We are not permitted to fly, even if there is a footpath through the land. Even on open land, such as the Malvern Hills where I live has now had a blanket drone ban placed on them by the Conservators, despite 'normal' model aircraft being permitted in certain places.

Literally, I am sat here surrounded by fields and countryside, but can't fly from any of it, and only one land owner has been kind enough to offer permission to do so, with lots of limitations.

So, how does everyone here tackle this seemingly impossible obstacle and get their practice in?

I practice buzzing my neighbours from my back garden and flying over busy roads and school playing field and flying 2 miles away..........oh no sorry, that's just for Mavic flyers.

I actually have use of two huge farm areas that I have permission to fly whenever I want.
I simply asked the farmer when I saw him and also gave him some free aerial photos of his farm - he was happy and I was happy as I have open permission to use the area.
He often stops by when I'm flying to have a chat.

I don't get disturbed and I can try out new firmware etc safely. :)

I went to a large soccer field complex that has about 14 fields on it.

Early in the morning, I wandered around with one of those pick-up tongs and a bag and picked up litter in front of the maintenance guy who rides around the place on a quad checking sprinklers and also picking up stuff. He rode over and we got into a conversation about all the litter and I asked him about using it sometime with the drone for some 20 minute test flights. I told him since it has a camera, I don't want to see all the litter so I needed to clean it up a bit as my excuse to use the field.

He said he wasn't supposed to say yes as they are banned due to an ordinance, but he told me okay since I spent the time to clean up after the weekend's soccer meets and their mess, but added that the cops will run me off if they see me or perhaps fine me if seen with the drone, so come out very early in the morning during their shift change.

Having these things is almost illegal.

I'm in almost the same boat as I live in a bit of Scotland surrounded by Forestry Commission land. I am working with them to try and come up with a more pragmatic approach but I can't risk relationships and licence (assuming it comes back from the CAA ok), especially as all flights are on DJI servers and Healthy Drones so there's no hiding where you take off and land. Kind local farmers and a country hotel allow me to keep my currency up but that was after a period of 'education' to show that they are nothing to fear and actually can bring huge benefit.

I practice buzzing my neighbours from my back garden and flying over busy roads and school playing field and flying 2 miles away..........oh no sorry, that's just for Mavic flyers.

I actually have use of two huge farm areas that I have permission to fly whenever I want.
I simply asked the farmer when I saw him and also gave him some free aerial photos of his farm - he was happy and I was happy as I have open permission to use the area.
He often stops by when I'm flying to have a chat.

I don't get disturbed and I can try out new firmware etc safely. :)
Thank God i'm not the only one :D I fly over schools and families. It’s cool to see them look up from the ocean.:p

Reactions: NickU
In the good old USA, I can practice on model airplane fields. We have a county park that has a huge flying field. Just have to pay an annual fee and only fly from 8 AM to sunset. Less than a mile from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I'm quite lucky as (so far) my immediate neighbours have no objections to me taking off/landing in my garden and I can immediately fly out into fields away from the houses without any proximity issues. I've another neighbour who flies model aircraft from his garden, so have permission from him to fly off his land, and two friends own farms covering nearly 9sq miles of farmland/moorland which I've permission to fly from whenever I want.

Jeepers I'm glad I moved home to Ireland from the uk now! I fly pretty much anywhere I like. I use the Phoenix park where there is a flying club and also take it with me wherever I go. Kerry wild western way etc. Have had zero trouble and even filmed around ancient monuments etc. My favourite place is glen da lough in Wicklow waterfalls and lots of lakes etc. Also where I work the management has given me permission to practice building shots as I did a freebie film for them of the building They were selling it and I did a reel for the estate agents website. I've never had an objection and have had local cops turn up and watch me fly with their jaws on the ground loving it. Strictly speaking I should seek permission from authorities but here in Ireland there is no real anti drone body. Least not yet. I'm sure it will come with all the idiots getting drones and trying to fly them miles away without doing anything except taking the thing out of its box. You see them trying to fly miles away with no idea of what return to home is even if they have it! Local football club are your best bet. Do a shoot of a match or a training session for them and you'll be golden. Sorry to hear how bad England is. We don't have near the same anxiety about terror laws etc. [emoji1598]

Jeepers I'm glad I moved home to Ireland from the uk now! I fly pretty much anywhere I like. I use the Phoenix park where there is a flying club and also take it with me wherever I go. Kerry wild western way etc. Have had zero trouble and even filmed around ancient monuments etc. My favourite place is glen da lough in Wicklow waterfalls and lots of lakes etc. Also where I work the management has given me permission to practice building shots as I did a freebie film for them of the building They were selling it and I did a reel for the estate agents website. I've never had an objection and have had local cops turn up and watch me fly with their jaws on the ground loving it. Strictly speaking I should seek permission from authorities but here in Ireland there is no real anti drone body. Least not yet. I'm sure it will come with all the idiots getting drones and trying to fly them miles away without doing anything except taking the thing out of its box. You see them trying to fly miles away with no idea of what return to home is even if they have it! Local football club are your best bet. Do a shoot of a match or a training session for them and you'll be golden. Sorry to hear how bad England is. We don't have near the same anxiety about terror laws etc. [emoji1598]

However, by law you do have to register your UAV in Ireland (if it's over 1kg) do you not? Which we do not have to do in the UK. :)

However, by law you do have to register your UAV in Ireland (if it's over 1kg) do you not? Which we do not have to do in the UK. :)

Yes we do and I have of course. Anything over 1kg approx with the Irish Aviation Authority. Mavic pro is therefore exempt .
In practice it would seem compared to the post above life's more difficult in the UK. We don't see no drone signs at many places really. Obviously government buildings etc. But the Phoenix park club is set in a beautiful place (American embassy next door [emoji15])!!! Granted most are old type nitro engines no fpv etc. Obviously quads don't fly over it but you do see the odd cheeky fixed wing drift that way [emoji6] but over all life's good. Enjoy flying.

Reactions: The Editor
Fortunately I can still practise on the lake shore behind my house. There's a small beach that I can use. In the weekend it's too busy with tourists but on weekdays it's deserted. During the summer season I practise very early in the morning. From 6 to 9 there are no folks there except for the sporadic dog walker. But I realise it's a matter of time before someone starts to make trouble.

It know it would be better to get an arrangement with some farmer in the neighbourhood. Working on that one.

Reactions: Younumty
I joined a local RC club and use their field.
However, as the weather conspires to be cr@p on my days off, most practice is in my head at the moment!

I joined a local RC club and use their field.
However, as the weather conspires to be cr@p on my days off, most practice is in my head at the moment!

At least with RC club you've got some rights and insurance as part of membership. If there's one close to you go for it. Nerdy but fun !!

I belong to BMFA here in UK and use official flying sites. Farmers seem amenable once CAA PfAW/insurance is discussed so I have a number of areas available at any time.

I use a local farmer through an old friend but started off using a football field belonging to a local charity I had suppported in my old job. Have a good think about who you know, what they do and where there may be some land involved. Another approach may be local community Facebook groups if they exist.

I'm in the USA. One of the big problems in our town is wires and poles...tons and tons of them, everywhere! Very dangerous not to mention ugly as sin. However, I discovered there are no wires or poles at the convention and exhibition center here which sits well back from the main road and is surrounded by parking lots, empty fields, a huge woods and the county fairgrounds on one side. They are OK if I fly when there is no event and being a small town, there are plenty of non-event days. Perhaps you could find a facility like that no matter what country you're in, maybe even a large factory would give you permission to fly around their property, as one person suggested, in exchange for some aerial photos of their plant or even a little video for their web site.

I read these frustrations with disbelief in some cases only being a hobbyist at the moment flying my inspire1 ichoose an open area when humans are not out in numbers like the beach when tide is out or football field. I am interested to know what the police powers are for issuing a ticket for an offence let alone being asked to leave the area? Whilst flying a drone an obsession seems to be gripping the uk against drone pilots bigbadbri

I read these frustrations with disbelief in some cases only being a hobbyist at the moment flying my inspire1 ichoose an open area when humans are not out in numbers like the beach when tide is out or football field. I am interested to know what the police powers are for issuing a ticket for an offence let alone being asked to leave the area? Whilst flying a drone an obsession seems to be gripping the uk against drone pilots bigbadbri

The police wouldn't get involved unless it was illegal or irresponsible flying (and someone had called it in). The thing you would be guilty of by flying without permission from the landowner is trespass. This is a civil tort, not a criminal one, so the police would have no interest in dealing with it. And to be convicted the landowner would need to take you to court, as well as proving damages. If however you were asked to leave the property by the landowner and you refused to leave, then it would become a criminal offence and the police could be called.

I fly on some northeast beaches yes i am aware of cat d fly zones in some areas. I also use a large football field near the A19. I also used derelict property at Holywell northtyneside, which is now demolished and of those times I have been approached it has been pure interest. I have also flown over a recently discovered Roman settlement here in North Tyneside where a housing project has been put on hold because of the find. I was approached by the Forrestry commission at the time purely from an interest point of view. as to trespass, well open to debate and interpretation at the time, but i would have no problems quitting private land if approached, there again if I knew I was using private land then I would seek permission if I knew whom owned it, it is a matter respect and common sense, unlike the ones whom use dirt bikes and the like on such land and never get caught. I am not ignorant of the law regards Tresspassing but I would like to know what kind of ticket the police can issue and for what offence. I am particularly careful of where I fly this will always be the case. There again there is always the simulator? Bri

Tresspassing but I would like to know what kind of ticket the police can issue and for what offence.
Like I said, there is no ticket or offence that the Police can issue to you. Trespass is a civil tort, not a criminal one, so it is not an offence that the police get involved in. If you fly from land without permission and you are caught, then it is trespass. There is no special offence for flying your aircraft. Other than perhaps if someone complains to the CAA and you have your permissions taken away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EthanV875