Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Section 333 Exemption Progress Question

Doesn't matter what the platform is, the restrictions are still there. Just because your bird isn't geofenced doesn't mean it's legal for you to fly in a no fly zone.

Apparently it does matter, if dji hasn't approved a single request for an approved mission in a nfz (your paper work is in order) than it leaves you in the dust. At least with any thing other than a phantom or inspire you can still do the mission per the faa approval.

Last edited:
Absolutely - I have an upcoming job at the end of October that is on a Royal Air Force military base - actually on the base about 200yds from the runway.
So, I am CAA certified to operate commercially,I have RAF clearance, ATC clearance and a NOTAM all in place but guess what... DJI deem it a NFZ so the Inspire will not take off.
I am lucky as I have other platforms I can use but the above situation is ridiculous. The DJI NFZ's are completely meaningless have no legal merit and are self applied software crutch to pander to the authorities in keeping the brain dead from flying into the path of a 747.
The problem is, the kind of individuals who would take off at the end of a runway are the same individuals who believe that if there ISN'T a NFZ then its safe and legal to fly !:mad:

< Steps down carefully from soapbox >

Reactions: skylabimaging
Absolutely - I have an upcoming job at the end of October that is on a Royal Air Force military base - actually on the base about 200yds from the runway.
So, I am CAA certified to operate commercially,I have RAF clearance, ATC clearance and a NOTAM all in place but guess what... DJI deem it a NFZ so the Inspire will not take off.
I am lucky as I have other platforms I can use but the above situation is ridiculous. The DJI NFZ's are completely meaningless have no legal merit and are self applied software crutch to pander to the authorities in keeping the brain dead from flying into the path of a 747.
The problem is, the kind of individuals who would take off at the end of a runway are the same individuals who believe that if there ISN'T a NFZ then its safe and legal to fly !:mad:

< Steps down carefully from soapbox >

Wow, finally in full agreement with you, (and I thought you were from the "dark" side) -

I submitted mine in June and got it in October for reference. It seems about 4mo is average. I imagine they are swamped these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, I'm happy to see that this section has been established in this Forum, as I agree with @lake_flyer and others who supported this request that it's important to have an area germane to the commercial/professional UAV operator and that issues that arise in the establishment/approval and conduct of commercial operations have a home for discussion here. Kudos to all and especially the editors.

Now, to my specific question: I've submitted my 333 exemption request last Thu, Aug 13 and have received acknowledgement on Regulations.gov of receipt, but when I search for for it, I get a message that says "This comment was received in Regulations.gov but is not yet posted." I assume that it takes a few days for the FAA to review the request. Can those of you that have recently submitted tell me how long it took for your request between submission and posting?

Quadpilot,

I was about a week earlier than you in receiving my acknowledgement email (August 3rd) and my application was posted October 26th. I have received no comments, but my application is still showing that it is available for comments more than 60 days later.

I just wanted to check with others in the system and see if they are experiencing similar time frames and if there is any updated information on the time span of the process.

Thanks for any ideas.

whh333

Mine was posted October 21st into the comment section. I have heard nothing yet, the only comment in mine is an amendment I added. I looked at some recent decisions from the FAA and noticed the most recent exemption approved was originally submitted June 23rd.

Thanks, quadpilot, that is a help to know. Looks like we will hear within the next month.

whh333

First of all, I'm happy to see that this section has been established in this Forum, as I agree with @lake_flyer and others who supported this request that it's important to have an area germane to the commercial/professional UAV operator and that issues that arise in the establishment/approval and conduct of commercial operations have a home for discussion here. Kudos to all and especially the editors.

Now, to my specific question: I've submitted my 333 exemption request last Thu, Aug 13 and have received acknowledgement on Regulations.gov of receipt, but when I search for for it, I get a message that says "This comment was received in Regulations.gov but is not yet posted." I assume that it takes a few days for the FAA to review the request. Can those of you that have recently submitted tell me how long it took for your request between submission and posting?
Four months for me last year.

We haven't heard anything from DJI yet. We're supposed to start Thursday at an airport,.... There must be a hack or something, fly manually? Anyone? I just updated and they have added many new fly zones. Crazy thing is water aerodromes are only used every now and then by one float plane around here.

I had to sign an NDA and waiver, send them a certain hardware ID number, and download a special version of the app to unlock only the airport that I needed for only the times that I specified. The tablet then had to be connected to the Internet the entire time for the unlock to work. They were pretty quick about it though. I wonder if you emailed the proper department?

That's why I'm excited about the changes to restricted zones and the new web interface I'm hearing about. For those of us doing this legitimately, it makes unlocking them practically automated. Although you're then liable for anything that goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shefy