Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sigma 60mm 2.8 issues

jlo

Reaction score
Hi Others had had success with the Sigma 60mm, I gave it a try with my I2 X5S camera and it has some issues. i would like to list the issues and cross reference with anyone that has tried this lens
1 The lens is brand new from B&H of the box has what it appears a loos internal element that moves front and back, as I tilt the lens, I though it could be a floating element and thats what its suppose to be like....but
2 when I install the lens on my X5S camera a strange pattern shows on the picture
3 the lens focus ring does not work
4 the lens struggles to find focus trough the app
5 I can not switch it to manual focus
6 I have the DJI focus wheel and it does not works with this lens
7 if I install the lens on a Panasonic GH4
its works perfect !!!!!
any thoughts ?
IMG_9876.JPG

Last edited:
That's really disappointing. I guess I shouldn't have been so eager to jump the gun on this one. I just got mine today (from B&H, like you), and my first problem is that it will not balance, so I need to solve that problem. Oddly, it is way back-heavy with the stock X5S back, but way front-heavy with the metal X5S back that is used for the 14-42 zoom. So I guess the correct balance technique is to velcro a few coins to various places on the gimbal to get it to balance.
As to the rest of your issues, the only one I can comment on is the rattling. Yes, mine does that too, so I guess there must be a floating element in there somewhere, which doesn't seem like such a great idea.
I would say that if focus doesn't work, then we can cross this lens off the list, although I thought there were reports on the I1 forum that it worked on the old X5.

Hi The Grumpster I kind of solve the weight off balance with 2 larger than US quarters coins from Costa Rica 500 colones LOL..
but the other issues are there, so if you also have what appears a floating internal element like mine then definitely there is nothing wrong with the lens, is just not a match with the X5s camera, I wonder what is the differense between cameras from mounting this lens to a GH4 vs mounting it to the X5S?, like I said on my GH4 works really nice
also if you try to boot up the copter and point the lens up so the floating element moves to the back the pattern is different at one point I was able to get kind rid of the pattern but it was a hit and miss so this lens is going back, if any one else can add to this would be great

Well I'm sad to say that we can stick a fork in this one. I got the lens balanced almost perfectly by taping (gaffers tape) 3 £1 coins arranged in a triangle to the back of the X5S. But balance isn't the problem.
First off, the lens "won't" AF. By that I mean, it tries and tries and tries, and every once (1 in 10) in a great while it might come close, but basically you couldn't use this in the real world, so I say it does "not" AF.
Furthermore, you can't use MF at all and it won't let you do the MF calibration. Also, the focus ring (I guess that's why the body rotates) does nothing at all.
And yes, there is that nasty **** pattern jlo posted above, although it looks different when you have something framed up and in focus. It's still there as a set of alternating bright and dark bullseye rings in your image, so that too makes this lens totally worthless. I tired all apertures and it is a problem.
And last, but not least, the **** thing rattles when you hold it in your hand and wiggle it around. Not really something desirable of a lens. And I'm not a hater: the Sigma 50/1.4 Art for the Nikon F-mount is the best lens I've ever used. So they can make nice glass, just not this one, at least not on the X5S. Sigh.:(

P.S.: Mods, please move this to the X5S thread; I think it would be more appropriate there. Thanks!

Last edited:
This is simply DJI not being willing to make the X5S compatible with this lens. It works fine with all other m43 cameras.

If DJI want the X5S on the I2 to be a serious imaging platform, they need to allow any lens - whether the user can fly it or not.

Reactions: panoist

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen