Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Strong radio frequency interference...

I have noticed on my inspire, which is on the latest firmware and IOS app, that sometimes when I initially connect, all the channels 1-12 show high interference (tall red bars) when I look at the Lightbridge window. Then, when I change from auto to custom those red bars go away and I see what seems to be normal low level traffic on those channels. It looks to me like there might be a burst of static or rf noise that causes false readings initially, because when I then monitor over time, I NEVER see those channels look like that....

If you get a "strong interference" initially, open the Lightbridge window and click custom and observe the channels for a while and see if there is really a lot of traffic on them. If there is, then you might want to reconsider flying.

It's unlikely anything changed, the new app is buggy and dji is Chinese, Chinese to English translations don't usually end up accurate. Your control rc signal will go about ten times farther than video.I think you're reading too much into nothing.

Would you go ahead and fly if you received the warning, RC connection poor?

Would you go ahead and fly if you received the warning, RC connection poor?
Most likely, especially if it was somewhere I've flown a lot before with no problems. I would do so carefully and see what happened. If you lose signal gps is supposed to return to home anyway. But like I said before, it's 99% probability of buggy app and 1% probability of actual interference. No one saw this msg before updating and now suddenly tons of people get it? I smell a bug!

Most likely, especially if it was somewhere I've flown a lot before with no problems. I would do so carefully and see what happened. If you lose signal gps is supposed to return to home anyway. But like I said before, it's 99% probability of buggy app and 1% probability of actual interference. No one saw this msg before updating and now suddenly tons of people get it? I smell a bug!

Makes sense...will give it a cautious try.

Stay close and low and hover a bit, if it acts goofy then abort mission. I'm betting you'll be fine. I've flown in cities a lot with no issue other than shorter range due to all the other wifi signals in the area

Stay close and low and hover a bit, if it acts goofy then abort mission. I'm betting you'll be fine. I've flown in cities a lot with no issue other than shorter range due to all the other wifi signals in the area

Thanks

Th

I'm sorry...didn't mean to ignore your post....You say the reason for this warning is the new IOS APP, correct? I definitely want to fix whatever the issue is. Is there any way to confirm that this is the issue>

I just DID confirm it in my last first.
Now I rolled back 1 firmware and its fixed.
(but maybe it's stray wifi signals - lol)

Thanks...I will jump back 1 firmware and give this a try. It's nice we can now do this. I wonder what I'm losing by doing this? Any signifigant changes between the 2?

I am having the same warning
You need to move away from the area you are flying in and away from local wifi hotspots. The auto selection has selected the cleanest channel (20). If you live outside Europe, you can select manual but it won't remove the interference and you risk another hot stop using the channel you pick. The 2.4GHz band is crowded and available to everyone.

Last edited:
I have flown in these areas where I get this warning and have had no problems. As I have said before, I have flown in these areas several times earlier with no problems as well. I'm assuming it's a firmware issue? It is disconcerting, but I have had absolutely no problems flying.

Or someone installed something there recently that wreaks havoc on the band and your system is doing its job of warning you.

Reactions: Scotflieger
I have flown in these areas where I get this warning and have had no problems. As I have said before, I have flown in these areas several times earlier with no problems as well. I'm assuming it's a firmware issue? It is disconcerting, but I have had absolutely no problems flying.
As @Kilrah said, someone could have installed a wifi booster to counter all the interference from remote pilots. I would get my spectrum analyser and try and identify the source. It is too easy to blame the firmware.

When strange new problems occur immediately after updating the update is the cause 99.99999% of the time. It seems they added this warning to new firmware, dont recall anyone seeing it ever before, or they changed the values that trigger its display and likely made it way too sensitive. ive seen more than a few people saying they get the msg immediately after updating the firmware. that tells me its most likely firmware, especially when you can still fly with no actual signal issues while the msg is displayed.

Highly unlikely interference from new wifi boosting implemented because of all the remote pilots, there wont be any interference to wifi from rc pilots unless maybe youre standing between their router and their computer while youre flying, and any such booster isnt going to cause you any problems either unless youre flying/standing within 100 feet from the booster, if even then. there are multiple frequencies used in the range and ive seen 10+ phantoms/inspires flying simultaneously with zero interference problems. MAYBE if someone built some homemade job and boosts power at a rate not allowed by the FCC that could be the problem but id very much doubt it.

Ive flown over many cities with no problems other than reduced signal range unless you consider reduction in range from 1.5+ miles possible in the country to a mile or less while flying in a city to be interference, which technically it could be, but its normal and expected to have shorter range where signals are blocked by buildings and it wont make you lose control of your craft unless you keep flying away when your signal starts to get weaker, which is then pilot error.

I get this message anywhere near downtown Columbus, Ohio...again...no problems prior to this. I'm not flying over traffic or people...being safe...huge area.
When strange new problems occur immediately after updating the update is the cause 99.99999% of the time. It seems they added this warning to new firmware, dont recall anyone seeing it ever before, or they changed the values that trigger its display and likely made it way too sensitive. ive seen more than a few people saying they get the msg immediately after updating the firmware. that tells me its most likely firmware, especially when you can still fly with no actual signal issues while the msg is displayed.

Highly unlikely interference from new wifi boosting implemented because of all the remote pilots, there wont be any interference to wifi from rc pilots unless maybe youre standing between their router and their computer while youre flying, and any such booster isnt going to cause you any problems either unless youre flying/standing within 100 feet from the booster, if even then. there are multiple frequencies used in the range and ive seen 10+ phantoms/inspires flying simultaneously with zero interference problems. MAYBE if someone built some homemade job and boosts power at a rate not allowed by the FCC that could be the problem but id very much doubt it.

Ive flown over many cities with no problems other than reduced signal range unless you consider reduction in range from 1.5+ miles possible in the country to a mile or less while flying in a city to be interference, which technically it could be, but its normal and expected to have shorter range where signals are blocked by buildings and it wont make you lose control of your craft unless you keep flying away when your signal starts to get weaker, which is then pilot error.

Thanks....this is pretty much the conclusion I've made as well. This message is disconcerting, nonetheless.

I was flying a S 1000 previously in the same area with a lightbridge and never had a issue, I recently obtained a Inspire (which I love) but since the updated I have had a couple small issues.
I flew out to 1500' last night a I did lose video for a second.

I started getting that with the 1.3 upgrade, also the compass error one too. They are momentary, and have never manifested themselves in flight behavior.

Look for the simple answers first. It is most likely to be the dense wifi clutter in the 2.4GHz band that is the source of your interference. We want wifi wherever we go and this is the consequence. Flying in populated areas is not a good idea

I can confirm wifi access points can definitely produce this error message. Moving away from the wifi signal eliminates this message for me whenever I get this error. This clearly may not be the cause for all instances but for me it has been.

You are absolutely correct, I went to a different location and it was fine. No more warnings
Thank you all for your input

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotflieger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo