Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

taking photos with inspire 1 ? X3 camera

Reaction score
I am still learning the camera so any help would be appreciated.

Sometimes if i leave my iso at 400 (like i was told to) i find that to get all the over exposure (zebra stripes to disappear)
i have to really lower the shutter so much that the picture becomes dark.So how should i adjust my settings (i am using the included filter which i think is an ND 2 ?)
Should i remove the filter and use the clear lens ?

Is it best to leave the camera settings on auto when shooting real estate ?

Last edited:
ND filters are used for video only,I use a clear filter for photography and keep ISO at 100 where possible.

Depending on the shot, you will not be able to remove all of the over-exposure zebras if there is a big difference between the brightness of different parts of your scene. The dynamic range of a camera is much lower than that of the human eye.
For example, if you have a shot on a bright day of a house against the sky and you expose for the house, the sky will be over-exposed. If you expose for the sky, the house will be under-exposed. A way around this is to shoot in HDR mode which fudges it by taking 3 exposures and combining them.
I suggest you buy a normal stills camera and take it outside and experiment with it. What you learn on the ground applies to the air too.

Who told you to leave it on ISO 400? In bright sunlight, I always use ISO 100 and NO ND filters (for photography) and use as high a shutter speed as possible. I also use the histogram so I can be sure to keep exposure well within limits. Then I adjust exposure and contrast in Lightroom to be perfect. It looks a little dark on the tablet but you can be sure you're not UNDER or OVER exposed and can bring the levels where they should be later.

The reason I use as fast a speed as possible is because I've found that when taking pictures from the air, even with a slight breeze, the trees look burred if you use a slower shutter speed because the trees/leaves are always moving in a breeze.

If it's cloudy or twilight, then you can start using ISO 400 to and use slower shutter speed.

Always keep your iso as low as possible. Do not use ND filters for shooting stills cause they usually cause motion blur. Learn what a histogram is and how to use it to better your balance thru the light color spectrum. Takes practice to become good so do not get discouraged early.Do you use a photo editor at all?

Thank you so much for all the replies, i'm going to take some time to take it all in, i will take off the ND filter for stills (though i must say a few shots came out quite ok with it on) but you are the pro's so i will take it off and up my shutter speed as high as possible, i meant that i was just being told that is hould not go higher than iso 400, i however kept it there, i will now go and experiment and do search on histogram thank you, i do not use an editor no

Thank you so much for all the replies, i'm going to take some time to take it all in, i will take off the ND filter for stills (though i must say a few shots came out quite ok with it on) but you are the pro's so i will take it off and up my shutter speed as high as possible, i meant that i was just being told that is hould not go higher than iso 400, i however kept it there, i will now go and experiment and do search on histogram thank you, i do not use an editor no
Photoshop lightroom is a decent and easy editor to use. If you are looking to make your good pictures look great use it.

For photos switch to 4:3 format so you aren't cropping the top and bottom off, you should get a resolution of 4000×3000 instead of 4000x2250. Don't use an ND Filter for Photos unless you want motion blur. ND Filters are best used for video. Shoot RAW photos, no jpeg's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu