Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Trackers

The Tagg GPS Plus Pet Tracker costs $184.40 to $204.40 for the hardware plus 1 year service ($89.95 purchase which includes two months, $14.95 activation fee after two months, plus a minimum of $79.50 for the remaining ten months if purchased on an annual plan basis, $99.50 if month to month). Monthly service beyond that is either $9.95 month to month, or $7.95 if you purchase service in a yearly block.

That is 84% to 104% more expensive for the hardware and 1 year service than the $99.97 Trackimo, and 59% to 99% more expensive per month beyond that for a unit that works only in the USA (Trackimo works worldwide).

The Tagg GPS Plus Pet Tracker weighs 1.3 oz (1/10th oz less than the Trackimo) and it is highly praised in the site's online reviews.

Still think I'm going to go with the Trackimo. Less than 3 grams heavier than the Tagg, or 1/1000th the weight of the Inspire 1 - not significant.

A tough call indeed. I have NOT used any tracking devices that would work for drones. I have a great deal of experience with Delorme trackers for trans Atlantic / worldwide tracking but the size of the device makes it impractical on a drone.

I am happy that people are giving input to this topic. I would like to hear from people who have actually USED devices. Recently I had a *pilot error* flyaway with no tracking device. Lots of blood sweat and tears in recovery - not to be repeated again. I have seen several youtube vids on the pet tracker. Ultra enlightened me on the Trackimo. Anyone else out there used any devices and have feedback?

The trackimo SOUNDS good but there are so many overnight companies that rush to get a product out and fall short. Pet tracker has a track record but that doesn't mean there aren't better out there. Tracker is about $90 plus $8/mo for service.

I like how they show someone in Trackimo commercial putting a tracker underneath a car. There's got to be great GPS satellite reception down there. I would appreciate it if these companies showed more of the "how it works and limitations" rather than the dumbed down BS consumer pitch they all sell.

Feedback appreciated.

The Trackimo device weighs three quarters and costs half ($99.97 direct) of the Drone-Mods device and is well reviewed on Amazon. What's not to like!!

The only downside might appear to be battery life, but let's think about that for a moment. Drone-Mods advertises up to 12 days from its 1300 mAh battery, while Trackimo claims a more realistic 48 to 72 hours fom its 600 mAh battery. Actual users have been getting a full day out of the Trackimo, which is more than adequate considering the Inspire's 18 to 22 minute flight time. If I can't find it within 24 hours of a crash or flyaway, there is no realistic chance I will locate it 12 days later.

For the range obsessed, the additional 42 grams of the Trackimo increases the Inspire 1's weight by 1.4%, decreasing flying time by 1.1% (not taking into account any additional aerodynamic drag penalties).

Looks like I'll be ordering the Trackimo instead. Now if only I could get DJI to ship an Inspire 1 to mount it on...

....And the DJI comment was hilarious!

F
Try this one. If is small, light, cheap, and it is a true gps tacker . Get a pay as you go sim card and you are good to go. I got one and it works great. If you get to where it is and you don't see it you can call it and it has a pretty loud song ring tone it plays so you can listen for it. It also has a featurer if you have data on your sim it can upload its location to a web site every 1-20 minutes.

http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/
Try this one. If is small, light, cheap, and it is a true gps tacker . Get a pay as you go sim card and you are good to go. I got one and it works great. If you get to where it is and you don't see it you can call it and it has a pretty loud song ring tone it plays so you can listen for it. It also has a featurer if you have data on your sim it can upload its location to a web site every 1-20 minutes.

http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/

Tnx for posting this.
I like the idea of all the cool features on the flytrex(which is not available for the inspire yet) but this seems like a good unit especially for the money.
My only concern is the fact that I lose my g.p.s. signal on my cell phone g,p.s. app in many areas whereas my m.c. g.p.s. works much better due to not needing the cell signal.
I assume this is using a cell signal since it needs a Sim card?
If anyone is using a flytrex i would love to hear about their experiences in rural areas.

Hey thumpinhard..I don't have a flytrex yet,but I believe I know the answer to your question. .if you're in a rural area,like I am, and your phantom or inspire1 is in a gully or ditch you will lose connection and wont be able to track it..that's why I recommend the locator 8 as well as gps tracker..the tracker will get you close and the locator 8 will lead you right to you phantom. ..

I've used this tracker with my Phantom 2; G-Mobile has 3-months service for $10; a SainZpsed TK102 rechargeable Mini Real-Time Tracker:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXMRGN2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You phone in with your cell phone and it opens to Google Maps showing you approximately where the quad is located. I have not had cause to rely upon it in an actual emergency, but given the various placements of the quad, it does seem accurate enough to locate a lost one.

Ed

The rf-v16 is pretty accurate and it is vey small. Yes if you are in an area where you do not get good cell service that would be an issue, but you can always check before you take off and make a judgement call to fly if you don't have service.

I actually tested it the other day by giving it to my kids and told them to go hide it outside in our housing complex. Every time it got me within 10 ft of it and since it was just the little tracker by itself i could not always spot it, but all i had to do is call it and you could hear the ring tone loud and clear and i found it every time.

Here is a picture of it mounted to my P2.20141214_190953.jpg

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Hey thumpinhard..I don't have a flytrex yet,but I believe I know the answer to your question. .if you're in a rural area,like I am, and your phantom or inspire1 is in a gully or ditch you will lose connection and wont be able to track it..that's why I recommend the locator 8 as well as gps tracker..the tracker will get you close and the locator 8 will lead you right to you phantom. ..
What is this Locator 8 everyone is mentioning? I only get some chemical when I google it?

You can ask about trackers on PPF and all will give you a differtant type they use . I have a TK102 b on my P2V And did have a user error flyaway and it saved me ! It was just a little over 1 mile away and in the picture it showed me when I called it is right where I found it :rolleyes: So I am a firm beleaver in trackers what ever they be ! Here lately I have been carrying it in my pocket when not flying so I can find my own butt when I go somewhere :( IMG_2611.PNG

For more populated areas, does anyone have thoughts on the Tile? It uses Bluetooth and anyone else walking by with the Tile app will ping it. I don't know how many people are live with that app, but it crossed my mind, as it is very light.

https://www.thetileapp.com

I use the Tile (for non Drone purposes) and it will works very well within close Bluetooth proximity. The "crowd" feature which will notify you of location based a third person's "tile enabled device" is too immature to work effectively. I have 8 tiles out there and only once did a location show up based upon a crowd feature. Friend's have the same experience. Tile is a long way away and needs practical saturation. I'm in Queens NY with a relatively significant population and "crowd" feature still doesn't work effectively.

I think the same can be said for TrackR. Their new product has yet to be released, but their old products also have a "crowd" feature which is probably more mature than Tile's. Their own video promo, however, states that it took a week, in CA, to locate a bicycle. Way too long to be effective for our use.

I recently bought Trackimo and think it's awesome.

Reactions: Apollyon

thanks for the info.
i have been thinking about the fact that the inspire will show a track of where it has flown so i am wondering if just a pet tracker would be all that is needed in reality. my concern is that in many areas i will be flying i won't have much in the way of cell service so g.p.s. is the better bet.

Do any of you guys have pictures of any of these GPS Trackers? I'm thinking that the flat spot on the back of the A/C behind the battery is the best place to mount it?

The Tagg GPS Plus Pet Tracker costs $184.40 to $204.40 for the hardware plus 1 year service ($89.95 purchase which includes two months, $14.95 activation fee after two months, plus a minimum of $79.50 for the remaining ten months if purchased on an annual plan basis, $99.50 if month to month). Monthly service beyond that is either $9.95 month to month, or $7.95 if you purchase service in a yearly block.

That is 84% to 104% more expensive for the hardware and 1 year service than the $99.97 Trackimo, and 59% to 99% more expensive per month beyond that for a unit that works only in the USA (Trackimo works worldwide).

The Tagg GPS Plus Pet Tracker weighs 1.3 oz (1/10th oz less than the Trackimo) and it is highly praised in the site's online reviews.

Still think I'm going to go with the Trackimo. Less than 3 grams heavier than the Tagg, or 1/1000th the weight of the Inspire 1 - not significant.

I am not sure where you got your info from. The price on their website is not $184.40. The hardware is $99 and 9.95 a month (price went up from 7.95) You can also order it from http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/tagg-pet-tracker/?lid=sayt&sayt=pet* and put it on your wireless bill.

Anyway, this is not a competition , so let's keep the facts straight. go with what works best for you

Hey guys..here's a pic of my rf-v16 and my loc8tor ..not a good idea to mount it behind the battery on the inspire imo because there's a magnetic field from the battery in the tracker and the battery on the inspire. .not sure if that would cause some kind of interference,but why chance it..you could mount a flytrex there though. ..20150128_210451.jpg 20150128_210424.jpg

Reactions: Ascender
I have a Flytrex v2 on my P2, I wonder if a Flytrex live would be a good addition to the I1.

Hey guys..here's a pic of my rf-v16 and my loc8tor ..not a good idea to mount it behind the battery on the inspire imo because there's a magnetic field from the battery in the tracker and the battery on the inspire. .not sure if that would cause some kind of interference,but why chance it..you could mount a flytrex there though. ..View attachment 322 View attachment 323

Beat me by 30secs. :)

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey guys..here's a pic of my rf-v16 and my loc8tor ..not a good idea to mount it behind the battery on the inspire imo because there's a magnetic field from the battery in the tracker and the battery on the inspire. .not sure if that would cause some kind of interference,but why chance it..you could mount a flytrex there though. ..View attachment 322 View attachment 323
Thanks @turbodronepilot I think you responded to me on RCGroups as well.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc