Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Unscheduled landing

I was flying fast but was slowing down I was at 28% forward thrust when I first noticed trouble it seemed to flip several times and try to correct itself.
I always use prop guards, I have to takeoff and land and I use different colors fore and aft which assists me with craft orientation immediately.
Prop guards
I crashed 3 phantoms using guards. Did you try to fly forward while the AC was descending?
I wanted to say something to you before about prop guards. They will definitely cause a crash.

Prop guards
I crashed 3 phantoms using guards. Did you try to fly forward while the AC was descending?
I wanted to say something to you before about prop guards. They will definitely cause a crash.
Yes, but there was no response so I futilely ran to try to catch it before coming to my senses. Besides my old arthritic *** couldn't make it.

Yes, but there was no response so I futilely ran to try to catch it before coming to my senses. Besides my old arthritic *** couldn't make it.
It's got to be your prop guards. Please don't use them especially above 10ft. I'll assume the i1 handles better than the phantom with PG's but most likely just a matter of time before an unscheduled landing.
If healthy drones can't pinpoint the crash I'd bet prop guards.

It's got to be your prop guards. Please don't use them especially above 10ft. I'll assume the i1 handles better than the phantom with PG's but most likely just a matter of time before an unscheduled landing.
If healthy drones can't pinpoint the crash I'd bet prop guards.
I hate prop guards on my P3 so took them off. What makes you say the will cause a crash?

Crashed a few phantoms using prop guards
Also some research on PG's causing crashes use them and boom crashed drone for no explainable reason.
Quad 101 in my book don't use them if you do only use 2 then what's the purpose
You don't need them

Crashed a few phantoms using prop guards
Also some research on PG's causing crashes use them and boom crashed drone for no explainable reason.
Quad 101 in my book don't use them if you do only use 2 then what's the purpose
You don't need them
I took them off because it stopped my P3 fitting in my carry laundry basket. I like to leave everything whole.

Yes, prop guards have been known to cause issues on occasions and can cause the aircraft to go onto VRS if conditions are right (or wrong depending on how you look at life).
Props are the only thing between your aircraft staying airborne and the environment - treat them with respect.
I check my props before and after every mission. They are removed, inspected and cleaned (bug juice) before each use. Once I get home I examine the hub's for stress cracks using a torch/flashlight before packing them away in the case.
This may sound **** in detail but my maintenance schedules are written into my ops manual which is lodged with the CAA.
I have seen first hand from one of my early multicopter builds where "Something just didn't seem right" and the aircraft was making a different noise to usual.
I landed and removed the props and expected each one. One of them had a crack right through the hub that probably would only have lasted another flight (maybe less) before it sheared in half and would have meant disaster.
I had become complacent and took for granted that because I had never damaged any prop they would be fine!
A big lesson learned that day......

Since You had to come along & take my shine
How long have you had yours & how many crashes and repairs have you obviously had:)?
I just realized I'm most likely Senior pilot 14 months before my first minor repair:cool:

Since You had to come along & take my shine
How long have you had yours & how many crashes and repairs have you obviously had:)?
I just realized I'm most likely Senior pilot 14 months before my first minor repair:cool:
Haha....no shine theft intended. :)
Do you mean crashes ever or just the Inspire?
Crashes ever go back to when I was flying collective pitch Heli's and number more than I want to remember. Those usually meant a complete tear down of the aircraft and replacement of rotor hub, feathering shafts, main shaft, thrust washers, dampers, main drive gear, tail boom, tail drive........well you get the idea.
Inspire crashes - well, I don't want to tempt fate here but, none (to date). I have two machines and probably was one of the first to get the V1 back when they were released.
I am actually on my original set of props bar one which I replaced die to a nick outnof a leading edge which I have no idea how or what caused it. :)

Reactions: eldorado
Don't want to jinx myself but I'm Senior i1 consumer pilot. No dji service, crashes, minor motor repair but if I fix instead of replacing my motor my 14 months keeps ticking.
Hook my avatar/insignia up I'm Senior i1 pilot all original parts to date. Badge of honor

With all due humility, I'm unsure how prop guards can cause a crash unless they are not fitted properly, I view them as a safety feature that should be standard but I definitely defer to the collective experience here. As far as weight, and aerodynamics the I1 should have absolutely no problem handling those.
Awaiting DJI to open to get this official, until that it's just a guessing game, I'm hoping it wasn't a bird strike or somethings more nefarious, I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for all the positive feedback.

With all due humility, I'm unsure how prop guards can cause a crash unless they are not fitted properly, I view them as a safety feature that should be standard but I definitely defer to the collective experience here. As far as weight, and aerodynamics the I1 should have absolutely no problem handling those.
Awaiting DJI to open to get this official, until that it's just a guessing game, I'm hoping it wasn't a bird strike or somethings more nefarious, I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for all the positive feedback.
Sorry apologize
I know you gone bounce back.
Prop guards don't do it chances are it could be something else but it's plenty of documented phantom crashes because of them.
At 750 a phantom camera I learned. I ain't gone do it.

Nor should it have affected Phantoms but they did. The increased drag on decent caused an envelope of dead air to form below the props and caused the aircraft's to go into VRS. Most pilots would not have a clue or react quickly enough to get out of a VRS state and so they crashed.

Yes, prop guards have been known to cause issues on occasions and can cause the aircraft to go onto VRS if conditions are right (or wrong depending on how you look at life).
Props are the only thing between your aircraft staying airborne and the environment - treat them with respect.
I check my props before and after every mission. They are removed, inspected and cleaned (bug juice) before each use. Once I get home I examine the hub's for stress cracks using a torch/flashlight before!packing them away in the case.
This may sound **** in detail but my maintenance schedules are written into my ops manual which is lodged with the CAA.
I have seen first hand from one of my early multicopter builds where "Something just didn't seem right" and the aircraft was making a different noise to usual.
I landed and removed the props and expected each one. One of them had a crack right through the hub that probably would only have lasted another flight (maybe less) before it sheared in half and would have meant disaster.
I had become complacent at took for granted that because I had never damaged any prop they would be fine!

I have set a 30 Hour replacement schedule for my props (self tightening). They are cheap enough. I came up with that as an arbitrary #, any thoughts?

I have set a 30 Hour replacement schedule for my props (self tightening). They are cheap enough. I came up with that as an arbitrary #, any thoughts?
There is no reason why they can't be used way beyond that.
As long as they are reguarly inspected closely and do not suffer a strike, surface damage or are not flexed beyond their design spec the props can be good for many more hours. 100 hours is not unreasonable which is where I replace mine if there has been no issues identified.
My maintenance schedule itemises bearing replacement at 100 hours (or sooner if necessary) and that's where I also do my prop replacements unless done sooner.
At the end of the day, props are very cheap for the Inspire and whatever you feel comfortable with is fine.

Reactions: eldorado and SanCap
There is no reason why they can't be used way beyond that.
As long as they are reguarly inspected closely and do not suffer a strike, surface damage or are not flexed beyond their design spec the props can be good for many more hours. 100 hours is not unreasonable which is where I replace mine if there has been no issues identified.
My maintenance schedule itemises bearing replacement at 100 hours (or sooner if necessary) and that's where I also do my prop replacements unless done sooner.
At the end of the day, props are very cheap for the Inspire and whatever you feel comfortable with is fine.

Lots of good ideas there. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkaur