Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

VERY scary event with the I2 and Litchi App

Hi Launch,

I switch to Airplane mode before anything else. There are many reported instances where an incoming phone call will cause an app crash.

I received a text around the time of the app glitch. Not 100% sure it caused it, but i'm willing to assume it was that in conjunction with other errors like not switching flight modes to try and regain control that connectivity couldn't be restored.

I use my Ipad when flying the I2 and it was the first time connected to my phone using Litchi. I dont have Litchi on the Ipad yet.

This is why you try new things away from everyone.

Hi Launch,

Stuff comes up. Don't sweat it.

It is a good practice to shut down all apps other than the app you are running for flight. Every one of us is going to do something goofy when we are flying. Prepare as well as you can and then keep your sense of humor for the stuff that you missed. :)

Last edited:
So you didn't switch to P mode as well?
That should have solved it. In fact you should have tested that switch before sending it on its first Litchi mission.

Updating the firmware right before trying out a new third party app is not the way. You should have tested the update first before trying anything new. Not that it is definitely firmware related but you want to be absolutely sure it functions 100%. I always conduct flight tests after any firmware update. You can even check everything on the simulator first (the I2 also has a sim doesn't it?), including the switching to RTH, F,P and Atti modes. If Go or the firmware would be screwed you would notice it even before you take it into the field..

Good that you managed to stay cool and save the situation. Next time I suggest you use the P/F switch to get out of autonomy when anything happens, and always do test procedures like I mentioned above and you will be fine for the future.
Yep, what Lake said.

Reactions: FlyaDrone
So, I had a very scary event today. I went in the back yard to test the I2 with Litchi and do a panorama. This was my first time using litchi on the I2 and I have used Litchi on the Mavic Pro with great success.

I upgraded the Firmware last night on the I2 and Litchi is up to date as well.

I was mid panorama maybe 12 pics in when the app shutdown and sticks were DEAD!!! I had no control over the aircraft.... Now, fortunately, it sat there like a good little drone 125ft above the grass stable and patiently awaiting my input. I closed the app completely out and opened DJI Go4 App also up to date. Still no joy on the sticks.

Well, I got to test the return to home feature for the first time today..... Unfortunately, it was in an emergency state and not a test.... She returned home safe and sound, but my heart was racing!!

I will never use the Litchi app on my Inspire 2 AGAIN........ EVER!!!!
Very good thread/post much learned about emergency app dis-connect situation procedures.

Like the pilots who actually leave the ground when they fly say...any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing.

Also after initial shock wore off your reflective and take responsibility attitude is something all pilots should be able to encourage within themselves as the vast majority of all aircraft disasters involves some level of cockpit error. Post incident analysis is the fundamental basis of improving safe flight skills.

If you received a text at the time that the "app glitch" occurred, then you must have had either WiFi or Cellular signal enabled on either your phone or tablet. This is a definite "no-no-no" for anyone using a Wi-Fi based transmitter to control a drone. You must always switch mobile communications devices to "Airplane Mode" and ensure WiFi is disabled.

What if you are using a tablet as a display and it is connected to your phone as a WiFi hot spot? I am aware of needing to pre-cache a map view with the location you are expecting to fly, but there might be other reasons to need to keep the display connected to the internet while flying.

No way this is a safe practice. Any maps on your display device must be offline at the time of flight. If you need map updates, grab them before turning the drone on, then go to airplane mode before you power on the drone. If you have two WiFi transmitters switched on at the same time, within inches of each other, the chance of interference / fly away / crash is massive.

Reactions: The Editor
At the time I was using my Samsung note 4 I was always flying using Internet and phone services on. Never had a problem except it's a bit distracting when you get a phone call in midflight but despite that I never had interference problems by using Internet on the controller.

It is always better if everybody around you switch their phones off :)

I use Litchi constantly and have only had one issue with it. It locked up over a group of construction buildings that had WIFI amplifiers. I hit the return to home and she came right back. I had been doing a pano when this happened. When it finished the pano I couldn't regain control. I have had a lot more problems with DJI app than with Litchi or Drone Deploy.

Hi Launch,

I switch to Airplane mode before anything else. There are many reported instances where an incoming phone call will cause an app crash.
This is a really, really good tip. I would never have thought of it and luckily I've not received a call while flying. Great suggestion.

This is a really, really good tip. I would never have thought of it and luckily I've not received a call while flying. Great suggestion.
But what if the call was from Donald Trump offering you a job at the White House?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arhaansheikh07