Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Website design and hosting suggestions

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on who people are using to design and host their website. I am interested in posting a video portfolio within the website and have looked into wix, squarespace, zenfolio, format and a few others. Thanks in advance!!

I am looking for opinions on who people are using to design and host their website. I am interested in posting a video portfolio within the website and have looked into wix, squarespace, zenfolio, format and a few others. Thanks in advance!!

Do you prefer web-based apps, or something you can use on your desktop (computer)? If desktop, what platform are you on?

Wordpress looks good at first glance......and yes, I am completely new to programming. I was primarily looking for desktop, but seems like several of these adapt to mobile format as well.

So are you guys getting Web hosting from one party and then picking a theme from WordPress for Web design , adding in appropriate plug ins as need be? Or doing everything through WordPress

As a pro web developer of 20+ years, I recommend WordPress. The freebie stuff like Wix is fine, until you try to migrate to another service.

If you're willing to spend the money for an Inspire, you should be willing to spend 1K - 1.5 K for a pro developed WordPress site. That's just my advice since I also own a marketing company. (I mean no offense to those who have tried and successfully used the Wix or other freebie sites).

Definitely wordpress.
If you're looking long term I would steer away from the free wordpress themes and get something like a Genesis child theme from studiopress.

A lot of the free themes from wordpress wont always be fully supported and have a lot of bells, whistles and bloated code which can slow your site down.

I completely agree with ChadAustin, but if you are on a tight budget and can't afford to pay a developer then for just a couple of hundred dollars you can get yourself a professional looking Genesis theme which is well supported, secure and well coded.

As for hosting, if you ask ten different people you'll probably get ten different answers

Here in the uk I use a company called TSOHost. Superb support and very friendly.

Reactions: ChadAustin
Pay for a professional site, and you will have total control. I created mine in MVC, and can do anything I want without limitations.

I have kind of a hybrid. I have the main domain hosted on GoDaddy using their Website Builder, and then I have the subdomains pointed to my own servers in my basement DC (long story, there).

Hosting for low traffic sites is kind of irrelevant. Most have decent uptime and unless you're on some horrible shared environment you shouldn't experience too many issues.

You just need to make sure your Control Panel has the ability to auto-install WordPress (Makes life much easier) Installing a theme doesn't require almost any technical skills but if you're still unsure head to themeforest find a theme you like and you can pay a small install free.

I have very low opinions of template builder sites like WIX etc. I've seen the tech they sit on. It's not very flexible in my opinion but for a small scale site it's probably ok. I still think Themeforest & Wordpress is your best call.

Wordpress is easy to learn and use. Almost 40% of the websites you see are wordpress sites. Stay away from the "free" hosting. They make their money by selling your information and your users information for marketing purposes (that's how they can offer the hosting for free) and they are often slow to get security updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers