Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What to buy - advice please.

Reaction score
Hello , wannabe drone pilot asking for advice. I am looking at purchasing a drone to complement my pjhotography and videography. My budget is around 2000 (pounds / dollars) tops. I have looked at everything from mavic pro through phantom 4 / 4 pro and inspire V2 . Inspire 1 s/h are almost as expensive as the v2.. I like the inspire but know its camera is not on a par with the 4 pro. As Inspire pilots anyone like to give reasons for going with the inspire ? I am a hobbyist but hope eventually to get a commercial license.
Thanks ; Chris Benton

Phantom 4 Pro without a doubt.

It beats everything for video on the inspire except the X5R. And will take better photos.
it beats everything on the inspire 2 except the X5S.

Of course the inspire has other obvious advantages in terms of functionality, you need to weigh them up, if you do not know, then again, get the Phantom 4 Pro.

It will sell for good money if you want to upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: DECinHSV
Inspire 1 pro., especially if you know you're going to upgrade and try commercial work. You're a photographer/videographer, you'll appreciate the m43 sensor over the 1" sensor, as well as interchangeable lens system. The increase in data rate for video is negligible, and more megapixels is just more moire/aliasing.

As for stills sure there are slightly more megapixels but the 1" sensor just doesn't hold up compared to the m43. It's like shooting on a phone vs a mirrorless.

But for your budget I guess the p4p is your best bet, and as x5yo mentioned it will sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In reality, if you decide to go pro you would need at least 2 airframes. You have to have backup so if an issue comes up you can still fly. When you start adding it all together, if you want bang for the buck, buy 2 P4Ps if commercial is a real deal for you. Get a couple of extra batteries for each and you're set. You get a couple of hours airtime on any given sortie and will satisfy the needs of all but the most pedantic.

Inspire 1 pro., especially if you know you're going to upgrade and try commercial work. You're a photographer/videographer, you'll appreciate the m43 sensor over the 1" sensor, as well as interchangeable lens system. The increase in data rate for video is negligible, and more megapixels is just more moire/aliasing.

As for stills sure there are slightly more megapixels but the 1" sensor just doesn't hold up compared to the m43. It's like shooting on a phone vs a mirrorless.

But for your budget I guess the p4p is your best bet, and as x5yo mentioned it will sell.

As well said here. Don't think about the aircraft, think about the product you want to produce and from what distance then choose the camera/payload that can deliver. Then find an aircraft that can carry that. Its about the product, not the gadgets the aircraft has.

Reactions: Johnsimatos
Phantom 4 Pro without a doubt.

It beats everything for video on the inspire except the X5R. And will take better photos.
it beats everything on the inspire 2 except the X5S.

Of course the inspire has other obvious advantages in terms of functionality, you need to weigh them up, if you do not know, then again, get the Phantom 4 Pro.

It will sell for good money if you want to upgrade.

Look at the photo comparison between X5 and P4P below, X5 photos have more detail and better clarity and color.

Do you have examples how the P4P shoot better video than the X4S? maybe i'm confused but, isn't the X4S and P4P essentially the same sensor with a better core on the i2?

anyone have video comparison of the i2 with X4S vs P4P?

X3 vs X5 vs P4P Be sure to download the... - Hangingpixels Photo Art | Facebook

Reactions: SanCap
Look at the photo comparison between X5 and P4P below, X5 photos have more detail and better clarity and color.

Do you have examples how the P4P shoot better video than the X4S? maybe i'm confused but, isn't the X4S and P4P essentially the same sensor with a better core on the i2?

anyone have video comparison of the i2 with X4S vs P4P?

Sorry, I didn't meantion the X4S too, as that was a given really. I.E. its the inspires version of the P4P so its going to be very similar.

The guy said the P4 Pro was better and so has the first comment.

There isn't going to be a huge diff, that's my point. An inspire 4 pro all in costs less than an x5 and 15mm lens.

Sorry, I didn't meantion the X4S too, as that was a given really. I.E. its the inspires version of the P4P so its going to be very similar.

The guy said the P4 Pro was better and so has the first comment.

There isn't going to be a huge diff, that's my point. An inspire 4 pro all in costs less than an x5 and 15mm lens.

Yes but no where to grow with the P4Pro. You can add a better camera and lenses to the Inspire 1 Pro if and when you want to.

Reactions: PatrickP
any advice on where to pick up an I1 w/ X5R and what about insuring it?

You have to watch the forum classified as well as other forums. Right now I do not have a need for the X5R, I do nothing that requires that format. Insurance is easy if you are willing to pay, I pay @ 1300 a year for 1million liability and @3k in hull insurance. Check out Bullock Agency for insurance.

Reactions: PatrickP
any advice on where to pick up an I1 w/ X5R and what about insuring it?

I would not buy the X5R. The hardware is too expensive for what you get and DJI prevents you to invest into new technology for this platform.
Wait until the I2 gets cheaper, will take not more than 6-8 months. The I2 platform has the future and is here to stay at least for a year or two. Other possibility is to buy a I1 Pro now they are becoming cheaper by the month.

Since DJI has a quite ridiculous marketing policy launching new generations of their products every 6-8 months, it is best to always stay one generation behind.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Last edited:
Yes but no where to grow with the P4Pro. You can add a better camera and lenses to the Inspire 1 Pro if and when you want to.
Yeah and you'll have flickering, crappy low bit rate 4k video in 2017 when even kids with phantoms will be pumping out flicker free, 100 MBPS video.
For the most part when you film you want somewhere around 24-28mm, so the P4 Pro will fill most gaps.

The 25&45 mm lenses are more novelty than anything useful, and I repeat, you're still capturing low bit rate, with a flickering codec.

The X5 pro setup will cost more than double the P4 pro and still do worse photos and videos.
great strat!

Again, the difference between 50 & 100 MBPS at 8 bits is negligible after online compression anyway. Not sure what flickering you're referring to.

The sensor on the p4p just doesn't out perform the m43 on the x5, sorry. The reality is neither are fantastic for professional work. The I2 on the other hand..

Yeah and you'll have flickering, crappy low bit rate 4k video in 2017 when even kids with phantoms will be pumping out flicker free, 100 MBPS video.
For the most part when you film you want somewhere around 24-28mm, so the P4 Pro will fill most gaps.

The 25&45 mm lenses are more novelty than anything useful, and I repeat, you're still capturing low bit rate, with a flickering codec.

The X5 pro setup will cost more than double the P4 pro and still do worse photos and videos.
great strat!

are you trolling? I'm a little confused to what you are referring to?

maybe you are confusing the X3 and X5 cameras. the p4p is better than the x3 but definitely not the X5
if you look at the link i posted earlier you can clearly see the X5 outperforming the p4 pro camera by a significant margin.

download the files and see the detail and color in the x5 photos, in the P4P photos you can clearly see the lens distortion and lack of detail in the water and land.

maybe you are confusing the X3 and X5 cameras. the p4p is better than the x3 but definitely not the X5
if you look at the link i posted earlier you can clearly see the X5 outperforming the p4 pro camera by a significant margin.

download the files and see the detail and color in the x5 photos, in the P4P photos you can clearly see the lens distortion and lack of detail in the water and land.

in fact after doing some careful analysis i'm going for the i2 with X5S, i'm so excited, i can barely contain myself and giddy like a little kid going to the toy store!

I don't see how 4K@100 MBPS with H.265 aka phantom 4 pro would ever be worse than than 4k@[email protected] aka X5.
The sample photos you had might have been badly focused given this is a common thing lately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reubenmarie