Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

With this we need an SSD?

What these SSDs actually ARE, are essentially a bunch of (8-16) microSD's arranged under a RAID 0 or RAID 10 controller on a board miniaturized all to fit in a cartridge. This is why Red drives are so $#^^%&#% expensive, along with the DJI SSD. That's how they can write/record RAW 10bit 4K at 60fps and beyond in real-time with no glitching or dropouts.

Is it possible to drop a SSD on an Inspire 1?

Yes. I have one. X5R takes a 512g SSD drive that slides out the side.
1460037856000_1186059.jpg

If you look on the camera side to your right, see that tab sticking out? Thats the SSD drive.

Did this just render the entire question of super expensive SSD moot?

SanDisk crams 400GB into a microSD card

No.

That drive is rated at only 100mb/s. Mind numbingly slow. And thats READ, not write. You don't need read speed in the bird, you need write speed. But, lets play along....

I just looked at the files from one capture off my X5R. I selected files in the folder until I reached 100mb. I managed to get 15.

So, unless you are shooting video at below 15fps, that card is completely incapable of recording the data fast enough. And thats even using its fastest READ speed. Write speed is typically 70-80% of read speed, on a good day. With a tail wind. Downhill.

Looking at the files again, I selected 24 frames. It adds up to 160mb. So any media would have to SUSTAIN a WRITE speed of 160mb/s to record 24fps. 30 frames adds up to 199mb. So media would need 200mb/s sustained write speed.

No U1 card is capable of that. Period. Some U3 cards are there, but just. SanDisk Extreme's can't even break through the 200mb/s write speed barrier and that card you linked isn't even in the "Extreme" product group. There are only 2 capable of recording 30fps raw. Lexar Professional 2000x LSD32GCRBNA2000R and Toshiba Exceria Pro N101 in at 241mb/s and 231mb/s respectively.

Lexar 128GB Professional 2000x UHS-II SDXC LSD128CRBNA2000R B&H
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Exceria-128GB-Memory-UHS-II/dp/B00Z0V3F5Q

So lets look at the cheapest of the two Lexar. It comes in at $1.47 per gig. The SSD for my X5R is $299. Expensive for an SSD but its only in at $0.58 per gig, about 1/3 the price of the lexar! So while its expensive for an SSD, its still far cheaper than the alternative uSD cards.

That and I don't know what the chips in the X5 camera are capable of. Don't know if they can send data to the card faster than it can take it or not. Unsure where the bottleneck is but I presume its the cards right now.

No, the need for the SSD is not going away any time soon. Its still the most capable media for the job and the least expensive to boot. The lightest air load, no, that goes to the uSD. But until the uSD plays serious catch-up, the SSD is still the king.

No.

That drive is rated at only 100mb/s. Mind numbingly slow. And thats READ, not write. You don't need read speed in the bird, you need write speed. But, lets play along....

I just looked at the files from one capture off my X5R. I selected files in the folder until I reached 100mb. I managed to get 15.

So, unless you are shooting video at below 15fps, that card is completely incapable of recording the data fast enough. And thats even using its fastest READ speed. Write speed is typically 70-80% of read speed, on a good day. With a tail wind. Downhill.

Looking at the files again, I selected 24 frames. It adds up to 160mb. So any media would have to SUSTAIN a WRITE speed of 160mb/s to record 24fps. 30 frames adds up to 199mb. So media would need 200mb/s sustained write speed.

No U1 card is capable of that. Period. Some U3 cards are there, but just. SanDisk Extreme's can't even break through the 200mb/s write speed barrier and that card you linked isn't even in the "Extreme" product group. There are only 2 capable of recording 30fps raw. Lexar Professional 2000x LSD32GCRBNA2000R and Toshiba Exceria Pro N101 in at 241mb/s and 231mb/s respectively.

Lexar 128GB Professional 2000x UHS-II SDXC LSD128CRBNA2000R B&H
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Exceria-128GB-Memory-UHS-II/dp/B00Z0V3F5Q

So lets look at the cheapest of the two Lexar. It comes in at $1.47 per gig. The SSD for my X5R is $299. Expensive for an SSD but its only in at $0.58 per gig, about 1/3 the price of the lexar! So while its expensive for an SSD, its still far cheaper than the alternative uSD cards.

That and I don't know what the chips in the X5 camera are capable of. Don't know if they can send data to the card faster than it can take it or not. Unsure where the bottleneck is but I presume its the cards right now.

No, the need for the SSD is not going away any time soon. Its still the most capable media for the job and the least expensive to boot. The lightest air load, no, that goes to the uSD. But until the uSD plays serious catch-up, the SSD is still the king.
What resolution are you talking about? ProRes?

Pardon my ignorance - does RAW have more bits per pixel?

RAW (DNG) is completely uncompressed. ProRes compresses to about a 1:7 ratio. RAW preserves the full dynamic range and detail that the sensor captures, and is well suited for professional post-production workflows like full color-grading and visual effects plates. Edit: you are correct, more bits per pixel (not in bit-depth per pixel, but in file-size per pixel)

Pardon my ignorance - does RAW have more bits per pixel?

Um, WAY.

The test video (am at work) I have here is 9:21 long. The MP4 file it generated on the sd card is 3.91g in size.

The folder of the RAW DNG images for the SAME video contains 16,835 individual DNG files totaling 107gig. The average size seems to be in the 7mb range. So thats 7mb PER FRAME.

Last edited:
Reactions: William Gaddy
IIRC, I believe the RAW is 12bit (could be 14 but I don't remember for sure). So thats 12bits per color times 3 so 36bits per pixel. The MP4 is only 24bits per pixel but that is highly compressed and a lossy format. RAW is data direct from the sensor and compressed similar to ZIP so that you get the original data back.

Last edited:
Reactions: William Gaddy
IIRC, I believe the RAW is 12bit (could be 14 but I don't remember for sure). So thats 12bits per color times 36bits per pixel. The MP4 is only 24bits per pixel but that is highly compressed and a lossy format. RAW is data direct from the sensor and compressed similar to ZIP so that you get the original data back.

Yeah it's 12-bit RAW, un-debayered RGB [email protected] fps. That translates to a take-rate of 1.6 Gbps... or you can run it at [email protected], which is 1.9 Gbps. Lotsa big pixels flying into that SSD, very quickly.

Inspire on location for Men of the north.jpg If you wish to see some stunning work done with a X5R on Inspire 1 ver 2
my friend did this in latvia. its quite long. FlyVision.lv

Last edited:
Reactions: NickU

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveamelia102