Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zenmuse xt with fpv goggles

Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone that is flying with the Zenmuse xt has tried some fpv goggles? I am looking at doing some inspection with mine and just wanted to see if anybody is doing the same, and if so what goggles do you recommend? I was looking at purchasing the Headplays.

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone that is flying with the Zenmuse xt has tried some fpv goggles? I am looking at doing some inspection with mine and just wanted to see if anybody is doing the same, and if so what goggles do you recommend? I was looking at purchasing the Headplays.

If they are commercial inspections under Part 107, they are not allowed.

Reactions: Advexure
They are allowed under 107 if using dual operator. There are also revisions under progress currently to allow non-LOS piloting. Rumored to be released soon but we will see.

To the OP- part 107 says that you will not operate your UAS outside Line of Sight (LOS). If you have FPV goggles on you clearly cannot see the aircraft and would then Be in violation of the rules.

You would need a visual observer and if your being compensated, a part 107 license. Provided you're in the USA

They are allowed under 107 if using dual operator. There are also revisions under progress currently to allow non-LOS piloting. Rumored to be released soon but we will see.

To the OP- part 107 says that you will not operate your UAS outside Line of Sight (LOS). If you have FPV goggles on you clearly cannot see the aircraft and would then Be in violation of the rules.
The OP has not mentioned what country he operates in so he (or she) may well not be restricted or governed by Part 107 shackles.
I'm not sure why everyone assumes every post on here appertains to the United States. There is a big wide world outside of the US of A :)

@Thermal.uas - It would help if you offered some information as to what area (country) you are talking about. You will then get an informed opinion hopefully based on your countries specific UAS laws and regulations.
Of course if you are US based and operating commercially without a part 107 certification then you will be fed to the wolves......:p

The OP has not mentioned what country he operates in so he (or she) may well not be restricted or governed by Part 107 shackles.
I'm not sure why everyone assumes every post on here appertains to the United States. There is a big wide world outside of the US of A :)

@Thermal.uas - It would help if you offered some information as to what area (country) you are talking about. You will then get an informed opinion hopefully based on your countries specific UAS laws and regulations.
Of course if you are US based and operating commercially without a part 107 certification then you will be fed to the wolves......:p

Yes sorry, to elaborate I am located in Alberta, Canada. I probably should have specified in my original post. As rules differ in each geological region. I have also found out that in my region it is ok to use fpv goggles when using a two person team one person being a visual observer for the pilot in command.

@djkelly57 I will look into The Glyph. Thanks.

I have the Moverio BT-300's on the way. I tried just about most googles made and didn't care for any of them including the DJI goggles. Can't wait to see how these work.

I have the Moverio BT-300's on the way. I tried just about most googles made and didn't care for any of them including the DJI goggles. Can't wait to see how these work.

Curious to hear your feedback on the BT-300's, we have yet to try them but we've heard positive and negative feedback from folks who use them regularly. Definitely more in the positive direction.

What were your thoughts of the DJI Goggles?

I tried to like the DJI Goggles, there were just to many things I didn't like. The biggest was being to see the screen. I had to wear +4 readers to focus on the screen. You can't wear progressive glasses so with +4 readers you flip the goggles up and you can't see anything. I tried mounting the glasses in the goggles, then you couldn't hand them for someone else to use without removing the glasses. Here in Florida I'd wear the goggles with my glasses and my glasses would fog up in 2-3 minutes. Fatshark put a fan in there's. It really only works 100% with the Mavic, the Phantom 4 Pro you can only have the goggles plugged in and not the tablet unless you use the HDMI which the P4P doesn't come with and then none of the functions in the goggles work with hdmi. The headband wouldn't stay on my head. Flip the goggles up and they want to fall off. I really don't care for being out in public with the DJI goggles unless you have a spotter as people want to walk up on you and start talking. I had someone drive up on me and blow the horn. I fly under 107 so technically I can't use the DJI goggles at all. I guess I'll have to see how the BT-300's work. I think at this point I'm somewhat skeptical but I'll know this weekend.

All in all I didn't care for the DJI googles, not much better than headplays and costs twice as much. I have to admit I did like the head tracking on the mavic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
I tried to like the DJI Goggles, there were just to many things I didn't like. The biggest was being to see the screen. I had to wear +4 readers to focus on the screen. You can't wear progressive glasses so with +4 readers you flip the goggles up and you can't see anything. I tried mounting the glasses in the goggles, then you couldn't hand them for someone else to use without removing the glasses. Here in Florida I'd wear the goggles with my glasses and my glasses would fog up in 2-3 minutes. Fatshark put a fan in there's. It really only works 100% with the Mavic, the Phantom 4 Pro you can only have the goggles plugged in and not the tablet unless you use the HDMI which the P4P doesn't come with and then none of the functions in the goggles work with hdmi. The headband wouldn't stay on my head. Flip the goggles up and they want to fall off. I really don't care for being out in public with the DJI goggles unless you have a spotter as people want to walk up on you and start talking. I had someone drive up on me and blow the horn. I fly under 107 so technically I can't use the DJI goggles at all. I guess I'll have to see how the BT-300's work. I think at this point I'm somewhat skeptical but I'll know this weekend.

All in all I didn't care for the DJI googles, not much better than headplays and costs twice as much. I have to admit I did like the head tracking on the mavic.

Very helpful, honest information you have shared, @Bob Stekeur, that is much appreciated. We can attest to all points you have made. Interested to hear youR thoughts on the BT-300's, if you don't mind sharing some input here on the forum that would be helpful to all. I hope they serve you well. Safe flying.

Goggles have been a great addition but I don't really use them on my Inspire 2. Mainly on the Mavic and now the Spark.

I Have tried having a few different people with glasses wear them while I fly and glasses just don't seem to work that great with them. I think I saw on the Mavic forum that guys were getting a specific pair of glasses that worked best with them. Not a glasses wearer so don't know really.....

I have several FPV goggles (from the Commander's to the Eachine box goggles) that I use when flying my racing/freestyle drones around the playground. I just recently hooked up the box goggles to the Inspire 1 V2 with the Zenmues XT camera. They do work well with HDMI cable. Was able to really focus in on the view especially with the zoom capabilities. Will try to post a pic..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963